Crime De’Von Bailey police shooting. Edit: settlement of 3 million reached.

nhbbear

Duty Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Cliffs. Subject awaiting trial for child sexual assault commits armed robbery, stopped by police, runs from police while reaching into his waist, gets shot, police handcuff him and remove a firearm and attempt cpr, subject dies. Protests ensue. Family sues. Family receives three million. Justice?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/08/13/devon-bailey-shooting-colorado-family-investigation-police-shooting/2003519001/

We have another police shooting to discuss that is causing a stir in the news media that loves to report on such things.

This month, in Colorado Springs, De’Von Bailey was shot and killed by police. Bailey was shot in the back after police fired 7 shots. The family and activists are seeking an independent prosecutor to send the case to a grand jury.

Colorado Springs police were responding to an armed robbery. It is unknown if Bailey was chased from the scene, or if a description was given with Bailey and his cousin fitting the description, which they did. Either way, they fled from police. And Bailey was armed with a handgun. The cousin was arrested.

I read one article, mostly about comments from the family lawyer from a high powered firm in Colorado. He claims that the prosecutors have an “abysmal record when it comes to allowing police brutality and murder.” He also claims that the county sheriff’s office doing the investigation is not independent.

The cspd says they will release body cam and dash cam footage from both officers as soon as the sheriff’s department finishes their investigation. That would seem to indicate, to me at least, that they are pretty confident in their case.

I always check these subjects for criminal records, and I check the officers for previous complaints related to use of force. So far, there is nothing on the officers. Bailey, however, was set to have a trial in January of next year for sexual assault on a child. Also, according to the article, Bailey was named by the victim of the armed robbery.

I am waiting for the body cam before I make a final decision, but I also am experienced, from past investigations of my own officers that I am occasionally required to do regarding use of force(standard when force is used even if no allegation is made by suspect) and complaints against them. I also know from experience from instances in which I was involved and viewing my own body cam, or taser cam, that the video will never show exactly what the officer sees because the camera is not as detailed as human vision, nor does it include other senses or experience or knowledge of officer regarding that situation or suspect.

Overall, I think the case looks pretty good for the officers, as Bailey was named and had a gun when officers encountered him a short while later, still in the general area.

Here are some links including a video from a surveillance camera that captured the shooting, but not the chase. Regardless of outcome of investigation or what the body cam shows, Bailey will be added to the list that activists cite when protesting police action. Link at top of post.

Last edited:
So he committed the armed robbery and was still armed?

Well I'm just shocked a family would seek a large cash settlement without a highly moral reason..

What a loss for society by the sound of it
He was probably breaking and giving them bibles at gun point while turning his life around
Guns up don’t shoot

Guess we’ll see if there’s more to this But I doubt it

Still shot in the back, so preemptively saying 'well he was accused of robbery and had a gun' is not enough to convince me this was a good kill. Definitely gives an indication, though, that someone may have been playing stupid games.

Here are some links including a video from a surveillance camera that captured the shooting, but not the chase. Regardless of outcome of investigation or what the body cam shows, Bailey will be added to the list that activists cite when protesting police action. Link at top of post.

Will you add those or am I blind?

Still shot in the back, so preemptively saying 'well he was accused of robbery and had a gun' is not enough to convince me this was a good kill. Definitely gives an indication, though, that someone may have been playing stupid games.

Will you add those or am I blind?

Sorry, thought I did.

And he did have a gun. His cousin admitted. He was on bond for a felony, which definitely means that he should not have had a gun. Stand by for more articles.

Bailey, however, was set to have a trial in January of next year for sexual assault on a child. Also, according to the article, Bailey was named by the victim of the armed robbery.

Bailey's family said that they remember him as having "bright eyes" and a "bright future."

<mma4>

I am totally out of the loop with street slang these days. I had to no idea child rape and armed robbery were code for medical school.

Sounds like a justified shooting but need to wait until all the information is out to see.

However to the media and a big percentage of the left facts don’t matter only how they feel does.

“Hands up, don’t shoot “.

I'm sure he was a wonderful person who was going to college in the fall and eventually find the cure for cancer. :rolleyes:

"Pants Up! Don't Loot!"

video

looks fairly clear that he was shot from behind while running from the police. seems certain the guy is a criminal that needed to be dealt with, but i dont think this is considered proper use of deadly force.

video

looks fairly clear that he was shot from behind while running from the police. seems certain the guy is a criminal that needed to be dealt with, but i dont think this is considered proper use of deadly force.

Looks like the cop picks up something right after shooting the guy. Was that the gun in his hand?

Gun in hand, refusing orders to drop, recent armed robbery. If that was the gun there I feel it was justified. Continuing to just foot chase after a known armed felon is only giving him time to fire at the cop or take a hostage.

They put down the threat. Again, if that was the blatant gun that fell out of his hand after he was shot.

He was shot in the back while running. I would say at that point he wasnt a threat, it is an unjustified shooting. Is there any evidence that he was a threat at that point?

He was shot in the back?.... eeeeehhhhhhh

My understanding is MOST agencies try to train officers to catch a dude if they're running. Get dogs or have someone in another patrol car pull in front of the guy so they run into the side of a car or something. I get he may have been armed but he was shot in the back...

Like, some of my best friends are LEO or involved in the justice system as like jail guards and shit but this one... unless it looked like he was about to turn and point I don't see why shooting him in the back is justified.

Looks like the cop picks up something right after shooting the guy. Was that the gun in his hand?

Gun in hand, refusing orders to drop, recent armed robbery. If that was the gun there I feel it was justified. Continuing to just foot chase after a known armed felon is only giving him time to fire at the cop or take a hostage.

They put down the threat. Again, if that was the blatant gun that fell out of his hand after he was shot.

I'm not seeing anything that looks like a gun while he is running.

Still shot in the back, so preemptively saying 'well he was accused of robbery and had a gun' is not enough to convince me this was a good kill.

If he's armed and dangerous, it's a good kill. Doesn't matter if it was in the back. He's a potentially lethal threat to the public. Don't run with a gun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleeing_felon_rule

I guess there is some legal justification if he did in fact have a weapon on him

He was shot in the back?.... eeeeehhhhhhh

My understanding is MOST agencies try to train officers to catch a dude if they're running. Get dogs or have someone in another patrol car pull in front of the guy so they run into the side of a car or something. I get he may have been armed but he was shot in the back...

Like, some of my best friends are LEO or involved in the justice system as like jail guards and shit but this one... unless it looked like he was about to turn and point I don't see why shooting him in the back is justified.

Are you trolling? Please tell me that you're trolling...

Back