Movies SUPERMAN (Superman: Legacy Now Simply Titled Superman, post #566)

Haha it's a movie of moments for me. There are some set pieces and action sequences that I think are truly well done. There's just a lot of underwhelming stuff in between. Eisenberg's Luthor is a major, major problem. And he's a good actor, that characterization of Luthor was bad.

Batmobile chase scene and Batfleck warehouse scene are legit as hell to me though. I think that warehouse scene is the best combat sequence in any Batman film to date.
Agreed 100%

Warehouse scene, Wonder Woman making an entrance and then her proceeding to kick ass was legendary. Even Batman suiting up in armor and standing and banging with Supes was great until... Martha..

Definitely a movie of moments.

As far as Luthor..

Let's just say I told a good friend of mine who loves comic books that hadn't seen the movie yet that Lex Luthor wasn't in the movie.

He agreed after he saw it.

Agreed 100%

Warehouse scene, Wonder Woman making an entrance and then her proceeding to kick ass was legendary. Even Batman suiting up in armor and standing and banging with Supes was great until... Martha..

Definitely a movie of moments.

As far as Luthor..

Let's just say I told a good friend of mine who loves comic books that hadn't seen the movie yet that Lex Luthor wasn't in the movie.

He agreed after he saw it.

Absolutely!

Gadot’s entrance as Wonder Woman had the theater going crazy. Great stuff.

The Affleck warehouse scene is a great one to go back to periodically cause just when you think you’ve seen the best moment of it, you’re reminded of something else that was expertly choreographed and executed. Such a well done scene with a wide array of offense. The fact that Affleck is a physically towering person really helped play into what Snyder and co were going for with that version of the character too. More than any other Batman, he looked physically intimidating.

As @KnightTemplar pointed out, Nolan movies, as great as they were for other reasons, were lacking in that choreography department. The Bane sewer fight is a great scene in my opinion but because of the atmosphere and Hardy’s dialogue/intensity. The actual fight choreography is subpar. It’s a memorable sequence for the aforementioned reasons but think how even better it could have been if the fight choreography matched the other elements.

Lol good way to explain it to your friend. I’m actually not even sure, come to think of it, that there has ever been a great version of Luthor on the big screen. Hackman- great actor, fun performance but I really didn’t get any sense of menace there. I thought that movie sort of played him for laughs and it was a bit jarring because he’s got this absolutely horrific plot but he and Ned Beatty are sort of goofing around for much of their scenes.

Kevin Spacey’s version in Superman Returns didn’t stand out to me.

Eisenberg’s wasn’t Luthor in the slightest.

I thought that cartoon show of the 90s had a spot on excellent Luthor voiced by Clancy Brown. Don’t know why they can’t do some version of that for the live action. Interestingly enough, I think Black Adam himself Dwayne The Rock would have seamlessly pulled off that type of Luthor.

2)The Nolan films, although they got worse throughout the trilogy. Batman and Bane spend much of their fights throwing clumsy haymakers like two drunks brawling on a Saturday night. Unforgivable when they are two of the most highly trained fighters in the DC Universe.
It's still unbelievable to me how good BB and TDK were and then how absolute shit TDKR was. Like...how?! Same filmmaker. Same crew, for the most part. And they churned out an epic dud for the finale. As much as I love the first two, I hate the third one.
<DisgustingHHH>

I don't think you sifted anything. Here lemme do it for you.

I literally typed "firejamesgunn" into Twitter search and these are the top few search results.

I typed in nothing and just kept scrolling down and down and down. Out of the couple hundred I read most were pretty annoyed without mentioning... whatever you said before. But then again, I have no twitter account/login and was just scrolling freely. So whatever you found is what you found. And vice versa.

It's still unbelievable to me how good BB and TDK were and then how absolute shit TDKR was. Like...how?! Same filmmaker. Same crew, for the most part. And they churned out an epic dud for the finale. As much as I love the first two, I hate the third one.
<DisgustingHHH>

It was like Nolan had lost interest by that point, but was contractually obligated to do a third movie. So he just chucked a bunch of half-assed ideas together in order to get things over with.

Absolutely!

Gadot’s entrance as Wonder Woman had the theater going crazy. Great stuff.

The Affleck warehouse scene is a great one to go back to periodically cause just when you think you’ve seen the best moment of it, you’re reminded of something else that was expertly choreographed and executed. Such a well done scene with a wide array of offense. The fact that Affleck is a physically towering person really helped play into what Snyder and co were going for with that version of the character too. More than any other Batman, he looked physically intimidating.

As @KnightTemplar pointed out, Nolan movies, as great as they were for other reasons, were lacking in that choreography department. The Bane sewer fight is a great scene in my opinion but because of the atmosphere and Hardy’s dialogue/intensity. The actual fight choreography is subpar. It’s a memorable sequence for the aforementioned reasons but think how even better it could have been if the fight choreography matched the other elements.

Lol good way to explain it to your friend. I’m actually not even sure, come to think of it, that there has ever been a great version of Luthor on the big screen. Hackman- great actor, fun performance but I really didn’t get any sense of menace there. I thought that movie sort of played him for laughs and it was a bit jarring because he’s got this absolutely horrific plot but he and Ned Beatty are sort of goofing around for much of their scenes.

Kevin Spacey’s version in Superman Returns didn’t stand out to me.

Eisenberg’s wasn’t Luthor in the slightest.

I thought that cartoon show of the 90s had a spot on excellent Luthor voiced by Clancy Brown. Don’t know why they can’t do some version of that for the live action. Interestingly enough, I think Black Adam himself Dwayne The Rock would have seamlessly pulled off that type of Luthor.

I fucking cringed every time Eisenberg appeared on screen. I've no doubt about his acting ability, but he was completely wrong for the part.

Rosenbaum from Smallville was probably the best live action Luthor I've seen. He was cold, manipulative and ruthless, but could also be charming. Even better, he started out a decent, if somewhat arrogant, young man who genuinely liked Clark, to the point of regarding him as a brother. Which makes his inevitable descent into darkness all the more powerful.

I'm not that heartbroken about this. Although Cavill looks the part, I was never fond of his acting. He would get outacted by Affleck in most of the scenes they were in together. His Clark Kent was rigid and stale and morose. Personally, I think the dude from Superman & Lois does a better acting as Clark/Supes. Wouldn't cast him in the movie, but for a CW show, he does pretty well.

Good luck to him in future projects though. Time to bring Superman back to legendary status. Hope they cast someone great!

Would be nice to see someone do the Death of Superman the right way this time.

I dont have much hope for the future of DC with Gunn running things. People seem to forget how subpar GOTG2 was compared to the first. I liked SS2 but peacemaker was hard to get through. For every funny or good action scene there were too many annoying scenes. His humor and style is a lot like Waititi to me and I am not a fan. I say ditch the whole cinematic universe and make one off movies. Its overrated at this point. Marvel should do the same.

I dont have much hope for the future of DC with Gunn running things. People seem to forget how subpar GOTG2 was compared to the first. I liked SS2 but peacemaker was hard to get through. For every funny or good action scene there were too many annoying scenes. His humor and style is a lot like Waititi to me and I am not a fan. I say ditch the whole cinematic universe and make one off movies. Its overrated at this point. Marvel should do the same.
I think you're in the minority on that one

Back