DC's Olympic wrestling coach weighs in on last night's fight

ultrasonic

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Kevin Jackson (Olympic Freestyle Gold Medalist, Head Coach at Iowa State University)

Matt Lindland (Olympic Greco-Roman Silver Medalist, USA Wrestling National Greco-Roman Coach)

Kyle Dake (4-time NCAA Division 1 Champ @ 4 diff weight classes)

Ed Ruth (3-time NCAA Division 1 Champ, 2014 USA World Team Member)

David Taylor (2-time NCAA Division 1 Champ)

Last edited:
And Swedish wrestling community, whut, whut !!

this Kevin Jackson guy obviously has never seen sonnen vs anderson or any fight that ended with a submission from the guard lol at "he who wrestles better in a fight always wins".

this Kevin Jackson guy obviously has never seen sonnen vs anderson or any fight that ended with a submission fro the guard lol at "he who wrestles better in a fight always wins".

um

dude got subbed by Frank Shamrock (UFC Japan) and Jerry Bohlander (UFC 16)

I'm sure he's across it

this Kevin Jackson guy obviously has never seen sonnen vs anderson or any fight that ended with a submission fro the guard lol at "he who wrestles better in a fight always wins".

This guy fought Frank Shamrock in the early days and got submitted in 16 seconds.

this Kevin Jackson guy obviously has never seen sonnen vs anderson or any fight that ended with a submission from the guard lol at "he who wrestles better in a fight always wins".

That Kevin Jackson guy fought in the UFC, probably before you were born.

That Kevin Jackson guy fought in the UFC, probably before you were born.

True. It might just be the wording. It'd make sense if he'd have said "whoever wrestles better in THIS fight wins", as that's what it came down to. Neither guy was able to hurt each much striking, neither guy was anywhere near a submission so it did come down to the wrestling.

Wrestling can be an umbrella term for grappling, or he could have just been referring to this fight. Stop nitpicking everything to seem like an genieus.

Folks questioning Kevin Jackson for stating that it will come down to wrestling from two guys who are wrestlers

I do sorta agree with Jackson's "He needed better and more take down attempts in first 3 rounds." Cormier didn't really try to hard to take Jones down, I think he thought he would have his way with Jones in the clinch and was a bit shocked when that didn't happen. Of course, if he did try and spam shots, Jones would have probably stuffed most of them and Cormier would have gassed even faster. I guess that's where the 'better' comes in to play...

Incidentally Jackson would have had quite a good style to take down someone with the build of Jones IMO - very.... explosive and athletic. Kind of like Cormier (short/low centre of gravity), but more muscular, explosive, style built around the double leg from the outside (rather than clinching, which didn't work for Cormier in that fight).

Jackson is the UFC 14 Champion. Show some respect.

"Whoever wrestles better in a fight wins."

Strongly disagree with that quote.

Tuf noob saibot

Agreed that dc should've went for takedowns early. Some will get stuffed but some gotta get through. I mean he picked up jones in the 5th. You think he couldn't had done that earlier when fresh?

"this Kevin Jackson guy" ?

Srsly?

Slight side note, though- Kevin should prolly know that he's wrong to make that statement, since he fought Frank Shamrock, took him down immediately and found himself tapping to an armbar about two nanoseconds later...

Back