DC vs Jones II ...

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by The Natural Born Runner, Feb 29, 2016.

1. The Natural Born Runner

The Natural Born Runner Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Question I’ve kept on asking myself since Jones has come back from suspension is “Does Cormier really stand no chance against Jones?”

If you go off of the first fight, you realise that DC cannot outwrestle Jones. He can probably do this in spots, but the idea that he’ll lay on Jones is just not believable from what we’ve seen.

The only thing I keep thinking is that DC actually had to abandon that gameplan against Gustaffson and out-warred him. Now I know Jones is a hell of a lot more diverse and unpredictable that Alex, but that is definitely a confidence booster for DC. Also, remember that DC won a round against Jones, that’s 20% of the fight – and you’re talking about a Jones with a hell of a long lay-off and a pretty active DC.

Don’t get me wrong, you’d be a fool to pick DC over Jones, but I can’t help but think if there is ever a time to challenge the GOAT – it’s when he’s coming off of almost going to prison and a huge lay-off.

Does he stand any chance, no matter how small? And if he does, how can he do it?

Opinions?

2. 13Seconds

13Seconds Red Belt

I look forward to the rematch.

DC can win via sprawl n brawl. He's the better puncher.

If his cardio holds up, he can give Bones hell.

He shouldn't grapple too much with Jones tho.

3. Grill master

Grill master #GUERNICABless

I thought DC was getting the better of Jones in spots when he managed to close the distance and land those short uppercuts and hooks. In every other department he was systematically beaten.

I don't see DC doing much better the second time around but if Jones has been skipping gym sessions and fart arse'ing around as rumoured, he might outlast Jon this time.

BryanTheFighter likes this.
  4. McGeezle

McGeezle Brown Belt

DC's activity meant him going through wars though and that takes it out of people especially at his age

5. green giant

green giant Honor still means something................

He will adjust and do better. The next fight will be closer for sure with DC edging jones.

6. ivory suit

ivory suit Purple Belt

Ridiculous statement, jones is the better striker and also has better cardio

Your basically saying DC needs to not be DC in order to win

7. politozx7r

politozx7r Brown Belt

Dc doesn't have a chance imo
    Rumble has a punchers chance at best

8. 13Seconds

13Seconds Red Belt

Yes. DC needs to do something different to beat Jones.

I mean, that's how TJ beat Barao for one example.

DC can beat Jones in standup. He kept it close until the 4th round.

9. muaytao

muaytao Brown Belt

Lol dc has no chance jon jones has too many weapons. Dc has wrestling and dirty boxing and thats it.

10. basementdweller

basementdweller Black Belt

well, I disagree with everyone in this thread.

DC has a great chance against Jones in the rematch, as long as it's the same or worse Jones than in the first fight. DC needs to do exactly what he did in the first: close distance, try to stay within reach and keep throwing those punches. He can outstrike Jones and he is actually better in the clinch. The real danger with Jones is having your back against the cage in the clinch. That's how he won the first fight, that's how he destroyed Machida etc. DC is very good at throwing uppercuts in the clinch, that's how he beat Gus and that's how he won at least one round in the JJ fight (I actually gave cormier 1,2,3 but it was definitely close enough that could go either way). So he needs to stay close, use the clinch, and stay away from the cage. His wrestling won't come in play in the form of takedowns, but to clinch hard with JJ and keep his back away from the cage. Let's also remember Jones was never even really close to beating Cormier. So I think DC stands a real chance, ofc he is the underdog but I think it's a lot closer than you guys think.

11. The Natural Born Runner

I think you're the first person I've heard from that gave it 1, 2 and 3 for DC. I respect your opinion, and that makes me want to watch it again, because I'm very sure I was nowhere near scoring it like that. Hard to remember exactly, but I think it was either 2 or 4 that I gave to DC in that fight - he definitely got one round.

12. basementdweller

basementdweller Black Belt

LMK what you think, I should rewatch it too at some point. 4th round has the takedowns for Jones.

13. The Natural Born Runner

Guess I must have given him round 2 then.

I will re-watch this later in the week perhaps, with us getting closer to the fight itself.