DC vs. Gus?

pretty much the same response as my last post... i do understand how dc gets inside. but you have to understand the guys he's been getting inside on. it's easy to slip shots and bob and weave a slow, stationary puncher with no jab, and no movement such as hendo. but to do it against against a long, and fast guy like gus... its not happening.

Gus gets hit plenty. It's why we know he has a solid chin. And Shogun landed numerous overhands and closed the distance using nothing more than an inside slip.

Lol. Gus has already let slower strikers than Cormier inside on him. Gus isn't going to magically change that when he's done it his entire career.

Gus is neither 67 years old or works at Starbucks in order not to starve. Gus put Jones in the hospital, therefore he puts DC in the funeral home.

Gus gets hit plenty. It's why we know he has a solid chin. And Shogun landed numerous overhands and closed the distance using nothing more than an inside slip.

Lol. Gus has already let slower strikers than Cormier inside on him. Gus isn't going to magically change that when he's done it his entire career.

i'm not saying dc wont be able to hit gus.. i'm saying dc isn't going to be able to get close enough LONG enough to clinch him up.

i'm not saying dc wont be able to hit gus.. i'm saying dc isn't going to be able to get close enough LONG enough to clinch him up.

You just don't get it. If Cormier can hit Gus, he can clinch Gus, just like Shogun did.

You make claims about what Gus can do, I give you examples of how he failed to do those things, and then you just go back to saying that Cormier, the best in fighter/ clinch wrestler at 205, suddenly can't do those things.

Cormier can find Gus' chin. That means he can land set up shots (which he ALWAYS does) which also means he will have opportunities to get a hold of Gus. It can and will happen. Gus has shown NO EVIDENCE of being able to avoid that except for rounds 1 and 2 against Jones. Those are the facts.

You just don't get it. If Cormier can hit Gus, he can clinch Gus, just like Shogun did.

You make claims about what Gus can do, I give you examples of how he failed to do those things, and then you just go back to saying that Cormier, the best in fighter/ clinch wrestler at 205, suddenly can't do those things.

Cormier can find Gus' chin. That means he can land set up shots (which he ALWAYS does) which also means he will have opportunities to get a hold of Gus. It can and will happen. Gus has shown NO EVIDENCE of being able to avoid that except for rounds 1 and 2 against Jones. Those are the facts.

gus's performance against jones in the early rounds (before he got hit big a huge elbow and gassed) against jones are proof enough for me. he's a young guy and he seemed to improve dramatically between shogun and jones fights.

but you also can't seem to grasp that finding the chin of guys like hendos, and slower, sloppier strikers such as nelson, and and bigfoot aren't the same as doing so against a superior striker like gus. facts you cant deny

1. gus is a superior striker to anyone dc has faced
2. gus is much quicker/faster than anyone dc has faced.

dc is going to have a much harder time finding range and setting up takedowns against a guy like gus, it's not going to be an easy feat like you are claiming. if dc fights the gus that showed up against jones in the early rounds (the gus i believe he is today) dc is going to have a very hard time getting close to him.

gus's performance against jones in the early rounds (before he got hit big a huge elbow and gassed) against jones are proof enough for me. he's a young guy and he seemed to improve dramatically between shogun and jones fights.

but you also can't seem to grasp that finding the chin of guys like hendos, and slower, sloppier strikers such as nelson, and and bigfoot aren't the same as doing so against a superior striker like gus. facts you cant deny

1. gus is a superior striker to anyone dc has faced
2. gus is much quicker/faster than anyone dc has faced.

dc is going to have a much harder time finding range and setting up takedowns against a guy like gus, it's not going to be an easy feat like you are claiming. if dc fights the gus that showed up against jones in the early rounds (the gus i believe he is today) dc is going to have a very hard time getting close to him.

You keep going back to Gus being faster. Gus is faster but he lacks the strength or wrestling of the HWs DC has beat.

There are tradeoffs. Slower fighters have got the clinch on DC. DC is going to get in there just fine. There is NO EVIDENCE so suggest he couldn't. And once he's there it'll be the same old. Sorry, you can live in a fantasy world where Gus can shuck off anyone's takedowns, but if Shogun can hit a takedown, so can Cormier.

Good fight, hopefully we see it if Gus gets it done vs Bones.

Something like a round 2 tap to strikes after domination so there's no rematch.

Jon Jones is not faster than dc

Is that so?

DC's speed:

Alex's speed:

If you've laid on Hendo for a round and he's breathing heavily and still is able to slip your strikes... you're not a very quick guy. Cormier is short and stocky and has fairly quick hands so he will appear deceptively fast but he's far from the quickest guy out there when you factor in his feet and body and the exaggerated movements he has to make to put his opponents in range. This will resonate in everything from how he closes distance, to how he avoids Alex's strikes, to how he lands his own strikes, to how quickly Alex will sprawl or get the underhooks and react to DC manipulating his body in the clinch. Hendo was his first real LHW benchmark and the benchmark came back reading "slow"...

Here's a sneak preview of the fight:

Indian-grey-mongoose-attacking-a-snake.jpg

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/95443495-post22.html

Closing the distance the same way he has in 15 fights without losing a round :rolleyes:

Jeez, people like you make it too easy.

You're the one who's kidding himself by making it sound so easy, the fact that DC hasn't been knocked down from closing the distance like he does is because he hasn't faced a striker of nearly the same calibre as Alex.

If any of you want to see what happens when a fighter of the same build as DC tries to close the distance on Alex, just check out Gustafsson vs. Matyushenko :icon_chee

You're the one who's kidding himself by making it sound so easy, the fact that DC hasn't been knocked down from closing the distance like he does is because he hasn't faced a striker of nearly the same calibre as Alex.

If any of you want to see what happens when a fighter of the same build as DC tries to close the distance on Alex, just check out Gustafsson vs. Matyushenko :icon_chee

Well Mathewshenko is Mathew Shenko he has excellent ammy Wrestling credentials he beat Kevin Jackson in free style I think.

But his MMA record and over all Wrestling was never as good as DC.

Heck Tito Mortiz... laid on him and pounded him.

You keep going back to Gus being faster. Gus is faster but he lacks the strength or wrestling of the HWs DC has beat.

There are tradeoffs. Slower fighters have got the clinch on DC. DC is going to get in there just fine. There is NO EVIDENCE so suggest he couldn't. And once he's there it'll be the same old. Sorry, you can live in a fantasy world where Gus can shuck off anyone's takedowns, but if Shogun can hit a takedown, so can Cormier.

I think Gus has enough strength to handle Cormier if he gets within clinch distance. The problem Cormier is going to have is closing the gap on a highly mobile striker with a very high punching output and good angles. I would favor Gus in this fight if it were to happen

Cormier would outwrestle Gus and take a clear decision.

Back