Media DC rips Paulo Costa for his wine excuse

Do they test blood alcohol and sedative medications on fight day?
Not sure but alcohol is considered a serious PED in other sports. Shooting in just the right amount in your veins clears out anxiety. Gotta be careful with it though. Shooting in too much obviously results in you being fucked up.

Curious what the UFC thinks about this

Back when i used to work the club circuit I used to get pissed off wine(Stella Rosa) before my bouncer shifts. It never once stopped me from handling business when the fists were flying. Hell half the bouncers i ever met were raging alcoholics and plenty would even be getting drunk during shift.

What a shitty excuse from a unrepentant diva like Costa.

<JRSmith40>

The main card started at 6:00 am local time in Abu Dhabi. The main event started around 8:15 am. Costa likely had to check in at the arena for pre-fight protocols by 5:45 am at the latest.

Costa is just a meathead/airhead. Most stupidest excuse ever. If he said he had two bad girls in his bed the day before and he was up all night having sex, ok, maybe there we will cut him some slack. But saying he couldn’t hold his liquor like some high schooler at his first house party getting drunk on wine? Lol. Come on man. He’s damn near 30 isnt he? He should know better. Almost any excuse is better. I had a bad weight cut, food poisoning, indigestion, constipation, these are all better excuses. Because the wine excuse is he did it to himself. Knowing damn well he had the biggest fight of his career. He can even say he doesn’t want to fight in Abu Dhabi again. That it’s too far, too hot, etc etc. a laundry list of better excuses.

It’s a super stupid excuse but I still think people are writing off Palo too early.

He was undefeated going into the TS and got out struck by the best striker in the division by far.
This, he can still come back from it. Said it before and I will say it again. Paulo needs a real mma head coach like Javier Mendez or Henri Hooft to train him properly and to check him. Theres no reason for him to get caught up in denial and making up bullshit excuses. A part of me wants him to lose to whittaker so he can go be forced to go to a real mma coach.

Rarely rooted for DC as a fighter, but as an announcer, I like his personality. He seems like a fun guy!:D

He's a beast, but just dumb as hell. He's very lucky to actually have smart team around him because the smarts are only coming from them.

The obvious counter to what DC is saying is that what if that's what actually happened ?

It may have been a dumb move but if that's what he actually did, who are we to say it didn't happen?

DC making a big assumption, that this is some excuse that was made up. Might it even suggest, given that Costa had time to think up of a far better excuse, that he is actually telling the truth ?

Do they test blood alcohol and sedative medications on fight day?

of course they do, Costa wasnt drunk but probably hungover since he basically drank a few hours before his fight.(he drank at 2 am and woke up at 5 am to fight at 8 am)

Rarely rooted for DC as a fighter, but as an announcer, I like his personality. He seems like a fun guy!:D
I actually have rooted for him both as a fighter and a TV personality. I only ever rooted against him in the Jones fights.
Yeah I’m one of those weird Jones fans.

Maybe, but he was also pretty overrated going into the Adesanya fight...

Hall was getting the better of the striking prior to the stoppage, and his fight with Romero was very close (though I do think he deserves the nod)...

giphy.gif

QuestionableOilyAsiaticmouflon-size_restricted.gif

romero-costa.gif

Of course, there’s wrong with either of those things, since Hall is a great striker and even Adesanya had a close bout with Romero, but I just couldn’t believe how many people were saying that Costa would beat Adesanya with his striking. I’m almost positive the majority of them were trolling.
Going into the Adesanya fight Costa was one of the most overrated contenders of all time.

The obvious counter to what DC is saying is that what if that's what actually happened ?

It may have been a dumb move but if that's what he actually did, who are we to say it didn't happen?

DC making a big assumption, that this is some excuse that was made up. Might it even suggest, given that Costa had time to think up of a far better excuse, that he is actually telling the truth ?
Yeah but does it make it any less stupid? Probably makes it more stupid if it is true. DC actually trying to give him a break by thinking it was just a dumb excuse he came up with

Yeah but does it make it any less stupid? Probably makes it more stupid if it is true. DC actually trying to give him a break by thinking it was just a dumb excuse he came up with

Athletes do dumb shit in the heat of the moment sometimes eg "can I have my inhaler ? USADA approved"

Worst excuse I’ve heard off in a long time. Maybe ever.

Athletes do dumb shit in the heat of the moment sometimes eg "can I have my inhaler ? USADA approved"
You’re not wrong. Doesn’t make it less dumb.
Also I don’t think having the time to drink an entire bottle of wine would classify as “heat of the moment”

Lol.. I didn't even hear about that.

If somehow, by the slimmest of chances, that is even remotely true, he should be cut for unprofessionalism. That's the fucking dumbest excuse I've ever heard.

If it happened, he's an even bigger dumbass. Imagine admitting to Dana that he showed up drunk to a fucking title fight!

of course they do, Costa wasnt drunk but probably hungover since he basically drank a few hours before his fight.(he drank at 2 am and woke up at 5 am to fight at 8 am)

They don't test for stuff that isn't considered performance enhancing. Xanax is anti-anxiety and isn't banned.

Back