DC recognizes the GOAT: No one can really challenge Jones right now

OzoneX

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Cormier has gone to battle with Jones on two previous occasions and if timing and opportunity work out, he would welcome a third fight against him in the future. Cormier is a former light heavyweight champion and the only fighter in UFC history to hold both the light heavyweight and heavyweight titles simultaneously.

That said, Cormier is solely focused on heavyweight right now and Jones is just over a week away from his light heavyweight title defense against Anthony Smith at UFC 235.

Heading into that fight, Jones is an overwhelming favorite with the odds definitely on his side to retain the championship against an upstart contender in Smith, who tore through two former champions and a former title contender to earn his spot in the title bout.

As talented as Smith has been since moving to 205 pounds, Cormier still doesn’t see a way he walks away with the championship considering the unmatched arsenal of weapons that Jones has at his disposal at all times.

“Anthony Smith is a great guy but being a great guy doesn’t win you fights,” Cormier told MMAWeekly when asked about the matchup. “I think he loses to Jones. He won that Volkan [Oezdemir] fight but to struggle that much, it’s very difficult for me because it’s going to make me say something that sounds negative about these guys but I’ve been in there with Volkan and I know that although he’s a good martial artist, there are just holes in the game that make the fight not that hard or as hard as some other fights are.

“He struggled mightily with the man and that was enough to tell me he was going to struggle when he got to the best light heavyweights and now he’s facing the best light heavyweight. I think he’s going to have a tough time.”

When examining the rest of the current crop of contenders at the top of the light heavyweight division, Cormier still doesn’t eyeball anybody who he sees really challenging Jones right now.

Cormier does see potential in a pair of fast rising light heavyweights who are both making a name for themselves while working up the rankings but nobody at the top of the division who could touch Jones at the moment.

“The only person at the weight class to challenge him is me but there’s the young kid from Brazil [Johnny Walker], who over time could be tough. Dominick Reyes, with time he’ll be real good,” Cormier said.

At the time he was champion, Cormier had virtually eliminated all of his toughest challengers and Jones has done the same through his past body of work as well as his recent knockout in his rematch against Alexander Gustafsson to win the title again this past December.

That’s why Cormier truly believes he stands beside Jones as the two best light heavyweight fighters in the sport and it’s going to take a lot for anybody to topple either one of them.

“Outside of [Alexander] Gustafsson, everybody else I finished on my title reign. I finished Volkan [Oezdemir], I finished “Rumble” [Anthony Johnson] twice. I finished everybody,” Cormier said. “I just think that we’re competing on a different level than a lot of these other dudes.

“And I don’t like saying that because it sounds like I’m disrespecting these guys but I feel like we’re competing on a different level than these other guys.”

https://www.mmaweekly.com/daniel-co...light-heavyweight-who-can-challenge-jon-jones

images

DC is the man. Honest, Humble, real, and a bad mother fucker to boot. Id love to see him get a shot at jones at HW. He was saying before his last JJ fight that he was basically done with 205. The cut took a lot out of him. Jon and DC is one of the best rivalry's in mma histroy

This is more about Smith than recognizing Jones as goat but okay

dc might beat him at hw
dc might beat him at lhw without his roids
ngannou might beat him at hw
stipe might beat him at hw

could be one im forgetting too

DC is the man. Honest, Humble, real, and a bad mother fucker to boot

Where does the narrative that DC is humble even come from? He's cocky and full of himself, and the only time he's ever looked humble was after the second Jones fight, when he was hit with hard, undeniable reality.

That's not what he said at all. DC said him and Jones are on a different level than the rest of the division and that's true and painfully obvious

Where does the narrative that DC is humble even come from? He's cocky and full of himself, and the only time he's ever looked humble was after the second Jones fight, when he was hit with hard, undeniable reality.

every time he talks about how cain is the best HW in the world even though hes not better than DC him self. To be a rich champion and spend all your free time working with kids and donating the pay check. He always gives respect to other fighters. also, since when is it wrong to be humble after a loss? he could be salty like his team mates. Instead he takes it and keeps moving. Hell even losing to a cheater he still says shit like "he could have beaten me off the juice". He is pretty humble hes also just a realest and he happens to be a bad mother fucker so sometimes being real can come off as cocky.

Can't be the GOAT if you've pissed hot for steroids and PEDs.

<Fedor23>

Cormier has gone to battle with Jones on two previous occasions and if timing and opportunity work out, he would welcome a third fight against him in the future. Cormier is a former light heavyweight champion and the only fighter in UFC history to hold both the light heavyweight and heavyweight titles simultaneously.

That said, Cormier is solely focused on heavyweight right now and Jones is just over a week away from his light heavyweight title defense against Anthony Smith at UFC 235.

Heading into that fight, Jones is an overwhelming favorite with the odds definitely on his side to retain the championship against an upstart contender in Smith, who tore through two former champions and a former title contender to earn his spot in the title bout.

As talented as Smith has been since moving to 205 pounds, Cormier still doesn’t see a way he walks away with the championship considering the unmatched arsenal of weapons that Jones has at his disposal at all times.

“Anthony Smith is a great guy but being a great guy doesn’t win you fights,” Cormier told MMAWeekly when asked about the matchup. “I think he loses to Jones. He won that Volkan [Oezdemir] fight but to struggle that much, it’s very difficult for me because it’s going to make me say something that sounds negative about these guys but I’ve been in there with Volkan and I know that although he’s a good martial artist, there are just holes in the game that make the fight not that hard or as hard as some other fights are.

“He struggled mightily with the man and that was enough to tell me he was going to struggle when he got to the best light heavyweights and now he’s facing the best light heavyweight. I think he’s going to have a tough time.”

When examining the rest of the current crop of contenders at the top of the light heavyweight division, Cormier still doesn’t eyeball anybody who he sees really challenging Jones right now.

Cormier does see potential in a pair of fast rising light heavyweights who are both making a name for themselves while working up the rankings but nobody at the top of the division who could touch Jones at the moment.

“The only person at the weight class to challenge him is me but there’s the young kid from Brazil [Johnny Walker], who over time could be tough. Dominick Reyes, with time he’ll be real good,” Cormier said.

At the time he was champion, Cormier had virtually eliminated all of his toughest challengers and Jones has done the same through his past body of work as well as his recent knockout in his rematch against Alexander Gustafsson to win the title again this past December.

That’s why Cormier truly believes he stands beside Jones as the two best light heavyweight fighters in the sport and it’s going to take a lot for anybody to topple either one of them.

“Outside of [Alexander] Gustafsson, everybody else I finished on my title reign. I finished Volkan [Oezdemir], I finished “Rumble” [Anthony Johnson] twice. I finished everybody,” Cormier said. “I just think that we’re competing on a different level than a lot of these other dudes.

“And I don’t like saying that because it sounds like I’m disrespecting these guys but I feel like we’re competing on a different level than these other guys.”

https://www.mmaweekly.com/daniel-co...light-heavyweight-who-can-challenge-jon-jones

images

well jon jones wants nothing to do with dc at heavyweight so what that make jon

DC says LHW has zero contenders atm. Declares state of emergency. Great story.

Well he is 100% right in everything that he said. I'd actually be very surprised is Smith makes is past the 2nd round. If we are all here and the 3rd round has started I would be quite surprised. I think it will be similar to Jones vs Vera

pretty on point, ain't nobody for Jones he's just on a completely different level..same can be said for DC but to a slightly lesser extent

Dc has wet dreams about jonthan the goat

Jones, you have too many haters here. Next week don't just beat Smith. Wreck him. Wreck his knees, wreck his eyes, wreck his fighting spirit.

Back