DC on his bad weight cut at UFC 210, new rules by the CSAC.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by KazDibiase, Jun 9, 2017.

1. KazDibiase

KazDibiase "My style is kneeing people in the face."

Daniel Cormier has been public and self-effacing about his issues cutting weight in the past. For his next fight, there will be an added wrinkle.

When Cormier defends his UFC light heavyweight title against Jon Jones in the UFC 214 main event on July 29 in Anaheim, Calif., it will be the first UFC show taking place under new weight-cutting rules approved by the California State Athletic Commission (CSAC). Last month, CSAC passed a 10-point plan in an effort to combat extreme weight cutting and severe dehydration in MMA.

“I have to be careful,” Cormier told MMA Fighting in a phone interview Thursday.

Perhaps the most significant part of the 10-point plan is licensing by weight class. The doctors who conduct physicals for fighters will have more influence than ever before. Previously, the only thing a doctor would determine in the licensing process is whether or not a fighter is fit to compete in the cage. Now for fighters in California, the doctor will be asked on the form whether the fighter will be able to get down to the requested weight class in a healthy, safe manner.

[​IMG]

There is even a chart on the new CSAC medical forms that shows doctors what the weight classes in MMA are and what weight is 10 percent above those. Earlier this year, the CSAC medical advisory committee settled on anything more than a 10-percent loss in weight being a red flag. Cormier will have to weigh-in July 28 for the title fight at 205 pounds on the dot. Ten percent above that is 225.5 pounds. So Cormier’s plan, he said, is to start his diet early and get down to 225 in time for the physical, which will be conducted about a month out of the bout.

And that’s not necessarily a negative, the champ said.

“It will actually be better for me, because I’ll get down in weight earlier,” Cormier said. “That’s the way I used to do it when I first moved down to 205.”

Cormier, 38, missed out on the Olympics in 2008 due to kidney failure brought on by extreme weight cutting. He was trying to reach 211.5 pounds for the Games and now he needs to get even lower for every one of his UFC fights at 205.

“DC” had weight issues prior to his title defense against Anthony Johnson at UFC 210. He missed weight on his first attempt, only to make 205 less than three minutes later while grabbing onto a towel.

Cormier said he was holding the towel to further protect his private parts from being captured on camera, but many believe he was using it to re-distribute his weight to come in lighter. Johnson filed an appeal saying that very thing that has since been denied by the New York State Athletic Commission (NYSAC) and the commission has since changed its weigh-in policies so that fighters cannot be touching anything but the scale.

Whatever actually happened that day, there was no doubt that Cormier had a hard time losing the weight. He admitted as much a few days later on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani.

“This was the hardest one by far,” said Cormier, who beat Johnson by second-round submission. “I think the beginning of my 205-pound career was easier because I was fighting so often. Like, if you remember, I fought Patrick Cummins, then I fought Dan Henderson, then I fought (Jon) Jones and I fought (Alexander) Gustafsson, ‘Rumble.’ They were all within the first year-and-a-half. So every three or four months, I was fighting; whereas now, after Gustafsson, it was like nine months (until UFC 200), and then this time again it was like eight months. So it’s just a lot of time between fights. Just, I need to be a little more active, so that my weight doesn’t get as high, and also my body gets used to the weight cut again.”

Cormier (19-1) does agree that rules about weight cutting should be welcomed, to some degree. Fighters should not have to struggle and put themselves at risk leading up to competition just so they can fight. Cormier said fighters always say once they step on the scale that “the hard part is done.”

But “DC” understands when fighters react poorly to government intervention in things like cutting weight — some athletes are doing it the wrong way, but many are doing it safely, he said. And most people who are in the discussions about these rules have never actually experienced a weight cut in their lives, with the exception of CSAC executive officer Andy Foster, a longtime former fighter.

“Fighters don’t want to be told what they and they can’t do by people who have never done it before,” Cormier said. “If [Foster] was a fighter and he’s cut weight before, then he’s actually qualified to speak on it.”

If done the right way with fighters getting a say in the matter, Cormier said he’d be in favor of cleaning up that part of MMA.

“I think there will be changes that happen, eventually,” he said. “It’s not a bad thing.”

http://www.mmafighting.com/platform...on-new-csac-weight-rules-i-have-to-be-careful

Kung Fu Kowboy and Threetrees like this.
  2. tonil

tonil Red Card

3. MadHouse

MadHouse Black Belt

lol most of these guys are a good bit over the maximum recommended walk around weight

4. ShoelessRye

ShoelessRye Gold Belt

Extreme weight cutting is all mental. To trick/convince yourself you have the advantage because you cut from a bit higher and thus will rehydrate and be bigger in the cage. In reality 1-2lbs is meaningless come the fight, but is the difference between a easy and hard cut. If a fighter has an easy cut he begins to have doubts that he did enough to prepare.

5. ShoelessRye

ShoelessRye Gold Belt

They'll have two cuts - one to get down to the +10% physical weight, and then another to make weigh-in weight.

HockeyBjj likes this.
  6. cooks1

cooks1 No matter where you go-there you are

Shit yeah. I was a D-1 wrestler (no- not a good one) back in the 'glory weight cutting days'. 1988-1990. It was crazy. You could weigh in any time from 8am the day before your match. Any time it suited you. There would be someone there all day and you could just stroll on in when you were at the weight. That meant you had roughly 36 yours to rehydrate and recover from the cut. Which was good in a sense, but it also meant people were cutting absolutely absurd amounts of weight.

According to this, 'walking weight' chart, I would have had to walk around at 165 lbs. We weighed a fair bit more than that 48 hours before we weighed in, and we weighed a fair bit more than that when we stepped on the mat.

The top guy at my weight class strolled around in the mid 180's a lot of the time.

7. Toco

Toco Steel Belt

stop eating so much, it's simple

8. Brampton_Boy

Brampton_Boy Douchey Mc Douche

Has Cormier ever stated what his walk around weight actually is?

He's not a tall guy, so I'm a bit surprised he is walking around north of 220lbs.

9. Guardian MMA

Guardian MMA Purple Belt

He thicc af

10. Frode Falch

Frode Falch Gold Belt Professional Fighter

Eat clean. Problem solved

11. Kung Fu Kowboy

Kung Fu Kowboy RIP Kobe Bryant You will be Missed!!! Staff Member Senior Moderator

Hope he has a good diet planned for next month. I'll be pissed if the Jones fight doesn't happen. Again...

HockeyBjj likes this.
  12. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 White Belt

DC is fat. He sucks his stomach in to try and hide it. Coming in overweight is cheating. It's no different than using PEDs.

13. 13Seconds

13Seconds Red Belt

It's very different. Missing weight is super disrespectful and unproffesional.

Wouldn't label it as cheating to that extent though.

It depends.

HockeyBjj, Mystic and IngaVovchanchyn like this.
  14. hydro481

hydro481 Brown Belt

Lets be real. The reason DC struggles with weight cutting is because he loves to eat. If you look at his frame, he's no bigger than Romero. If he was in tip top shape I'm sure he could make 185. But that's never gonna happen cuz he gets too fat.

HockeyBjj likes this.
  15. rjmbrd

rjmbrd Gold Belt

He wrestled 184lbs as a 5th year senior, and he was lean and muscled. He has the frame of a middleweight, no doubt about it.

DC has relied on his freak talent and the shallow depth at heavyweight and light heavyweight. Despite giving up size, he is still among the best in both divisions.

If he can make a commitment to showing up with 5lbs less body fat on fight week, he should have a smooth cut without any real drama. The cold hard truth is he's suffered from discipline problems with his diet his entire adult career. He cheated during towel gate - and I'm a big fan of DC but that is a fact - and there is just no reason to risk it all over a few pounds of excess fat.

Hopefully he's learned his lesson but we will have to wait and see.

16. HockeyBjj

HockeyBjj Putting on the foil

Guys will just do a ~10 pound weight cut going into the physicals

Should have the weigh in be a random time 2-6 weeks before the fight, have commission show up with a pee cup and a scale unannounced

Ikuza likes this.
  17. Paradigm

Paradigm Gold Belt

Like we can really afford that here in CA lol...the state is broke.

18. HockeyBjj

HockeyBjj Putting on the foil

But ya'll are gonna pay for free health care for everybody lol.

19. cevo

cevo Red Belt

He's probably extremely addicted to food lol. If it was that easy he'd do it.

20. Draxton

Draxton Captain shitpost

Big John said they weighed him before the second Rumble fight and he was 236 pounds.

Brampton_Boy and SpinningCupKick like this.