Media DC On Costa Not Moving Forward

Wreckless

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score

"If Paulo Costa attacked he was done. So it's damned if you do and it's damned if you don't.

I think DC nailed it.

Basically he says Costa realized, damn, if I attack this dude I might get knocked out so I have to fight every urge, every instinct to go chase him down. i'm going to stay at range and be patient. But now he's screwed.

Says Costa is as good as they come and Izzy made him look like a ranked amateur. It was a pro vs an amateur.

Says Adesanya is one of the best counter strikers in the world.

Last edited:

"If Paulo Costa attacked he was done. So it's damned if you do and it's damned if you don't.

I think DC nailed it.

Basically he says Costa realized, damn, if I attack this dude I might get knocked out so I have to fight every urge, every instinct to go chase him down. i'm going to stay at range and be patient. But now he's screwed.

Says Costa is as good as they come and Izzy made him look like a ranked amateur. It was a pro vs an amateur.

Says Adesanya is one of the best counter strikers in the world.

He's right. Costa realized 2 minutes in he couldn't cut him off or wrangle him. He did try, and was juked, countered, or tied up. He started taunting because he had no other cards to play.

I get what DC is saying, but Costas bread & butter is relentless pressure. He literally fought at long range with a sniper who has the reach on him.

Not saying he was going to win in either case, but he looked totally like a fish out of water staying back and letting Adesanya kick his patellas into nutella.

Costa would have stood a much better chance fighting his fight. Staying on the outside eating brutal legs kicks and doing nothing is something any one of us Sherdoggers could have done. At the very least if Paulo was walking forward, he wouldn't have gotten his leg chewed up and could have possibly landed something in an exchange.

He's right. Costa realized 2 minutes in he couldn't cut him off or wrangle him. He did try, and was juked, countered, or tied up. He started taunting because he had no other cards to play.
Yup. Same happened with Romero and to a certain extent Whittaker as Ariel mentionned. He made those guys freeze. He's so good they just didn't know how to deal with that.

Yup. Same happened with Romero and to a certain extent Whittaker as Ariel mentionned. He made those top guys freeze. He's so good they just didn't know how to deal with that.
The Anderson Silva comparisons are apt. Guys would look so damn amazing on a title run, then completely freeze against Silva. Same reasons, footwork, accuracy, and feints.

DC is wrong. he's basically saying Costa shouldn't have even took this fight. the only way you even have a CHANCE of winning is by attacking. you 100% lose standing there doing nothing.

he's also acting like there's no way Adesanya can lose striking. anybody can lose striking, that's why striking is so much more exciting than grappling.

Kind of counter-intuitive given that most of the damage was done at long range, but he's the expert

The Anderson Silva comparisons are apt. Guys would look so damn amazing on a title run, then completely freeze against Silva. Same reasons, footwork, accuracy, and feints.
Good point. His style is definitely heavily influenced by Silva's.

Costa would have stood a much better chance fighting his fight. Staying on the outside eating brutal legs kicks and doing nothing is something any one of us Sherdoggers could have done. At the very least if Paulo was walking forward, he wouldn't have gotten his leg chewed up and could have possibly landed something in an exchange.
He tried, and couldn't. Every time he came forward, he:
Ate body/knee kicks or straight punches OR
Was juked out and Izzy circled out OR
actually closed distance and got tied up before he could throw

His whole game was methodically shut down.

He tried, and couldn't. Every time he came forward, he:
Ate body/knee kicks or straight punches OR
Was juked out and Izzy circled out OR
actually closed distance and got tied up before he could throw

His whole game was methodically shut down.

You don't just sit there and get murked on the outside because you get foiled a couple of times. You fight your fight. If you lose, then so be it.

You don't just sit there and get murked on the outside because you get foiled a couple of times. You fight your fight. If you lose, then so be it.
And normally, that may have been the case, but izzy packed way more power than Costa expected. Everything he threw was stinging. Simply rushing in was suicide, and I think he picked that up real fast.

Yep. Even when Silva fought Derek Brunson a few years ago, people were surprised that Brunson was so reluctant to engage in that fight even if Silva was past his prime.

Back