DC got ragdolled like a worthless piece of paper!

Crytek

Blue Belt
Reaction score
And after examining the fight I can tell that had a lot to do with the hight and length difference of Jon Jones. He was strong, but too short to get "leverage" on Jon Jones.

This is why Jon Jones appeared to be a better wrestler, which I think he's still not, but the fact that Jon Jones was so tall he was able to get leverage and ragdoll DC like he was a maple leaf.

Did you notice that when they were in the clinch that DC's face was pushed into Jon Jones shoulder a LOT? And he had the hardest time keeping his head above Jon Jones shoulder, it looked incredibly awkward. It's just like DC said, he was more impressed by his size than anything in the cage.

This goes to show that size really does matter when it comes to fighting in a cage, for the most part.

Last edited:
DC was way to reliant on single leg trips and underhook take downs. Can't single leg trip someone so much larger, and can't do a underhook takedown when you have to reach past your chest. It's just to difficult. DC should of stuck to the double legs.

I was surprised to see he didn't shoot one takedown on jones. All he tried for were hip tosses and trips etc. I'm sure it's much easier said than done but no doubt jones was a hulking monster in that fight, couple that with his reach factor the guy is a beast.

Height is the answer to everything. Is that why Condit Ragdolled GSP too?

'ragdolled like a worthless piece of paper' :icon_lol:

Strange analogy aside, it seems as if some people are still under the misconception that Jones is this tall, lanky dude. The guy is strong and thick and gets in positions to utilize leverage well. I am not claiming I knew he would end up winning the TD battle like 5 to 1 or whatever it was but I never thought he would just get thrown around the ring. He is able to get in the right positions to stop the TD. It isnt simply DC being strong enough since he was able to manhandle Barnett and Bigfoot but those guys are slow and cant prevent DC from getting in on them in a way that allows him to do what he does. I am sure a wrestler could explain this better but you have to get in a certain situation to follow through with the TD or slam. Jones doesnt leave himself open like that.

DC was way to reliant on single leg trips and underhook take downs. Can't single leg trip someone so much larger, and can't do a underhook takedown when you have to reach past your chest. It's just to difficult. DC should of stuck to the double legs.

I agree, double legs would probably be more effective. However, even if he did try to get a double leg on him I can just see Jon Jones long ass arms and leggs hanging over DC's body and it would probably be a sloppy double leg, or Jon Jones would just land back on his legs somehow lol

Yes, height is the most important factor in wrestling, which is why all the best wrestlers are tall and lanky.

Did you notice how Jones controlled DC wrist while they were in the clinch? That was a huge part of Jones success in wrestling during this fight. Seems like nobody noticed simple but crucial stuff like that.

To be honest, there's a lot of people talking about the DC takedown in the 5th round and to me it wasn't even that good. Jones got straight back up again and didn't even land on his back.

I don't know what TS is after here but the bottom line is DC was beaten at the wrestling game by a guy who could wrestle better than him. Good wrestlers learn very quickly to adapt to their opponent's skill set height is never a determining factor when matching wrestlers up. A taller fighter may have some advantage but this is balanced out by a higher center of gravity which should make them more vulnerable to take downs UNLESS they have trained to protect this vulnerability (like Jones did.)

The main factor that beat DC was Jones better wrestling skill set, end of story.

Controlling the wrist of DC helped with the uppercuts too imo

What I don't get though is that DC had no problem at all tossing Barnett around who is almost as tall and is heavier than JJ.

Did you notice how Jones controlled DC wrist while they were in the clinch? That was a huge part of Jones success in wrestling during this fight. Seems like nobody noticed simple but crucial stuff like that.

Hell yah that's a good point and I did notice that, but I also realized that's how DC got his wrist throw on Jon Jones. It was actually Jon Jones who was holding DC's wrist, so DC did a wrist throw by Jon Jones own grip to get him off. That was very interesting to me.

What I don't get though is that DC had no problem at all tossing Barnett around who is almost as tall and is heavier than JJ.

That's because DC was a HW bro, he was easily 240-250 pounds. Jon Jones also has a more lanky body. Notice that most of his weight is in his upper body, not his legs, he's very disproportionate so all that weight and power of Jones taller upper body pushing on DC's head for all 5 rounds is very hard to deal with. DC is a little man but he's thick as hell.

Back