DC and Gustafsson willing to fight for interim title if necessary

Brilliant! So they fight for an "interim" title, one of the most prestigious belts in UFC, just so the loser has to work their way back up to a title shot.

Bottom line is Gusty should get the next fight with Jones. Cormier after that. Cormier should schedule his surgery, train, and become 100% prior to facing the winner of Gusty/Jones II.

Interim belts are as gay as two boys in bed together.

problem is, Jones has pretty much cleaned out LHW already. If Gus and DC fight for interim title, its doubtful the loser of that match would face the winner of Jones - Interim Champ w/out picking up another win or two. That leaves AJ, who still needs another win, before Jones packs up and heads for HW.

Gus is ranked ahead of DC in every ranking I've seen. DC's only credible win at 205 is against Hendo. Other than hype, there's no good reason for him to jump Gus for the shot, and you could make a really good case that AJ's dominant win over Phil is more meaningful than DC's dominant win over Hendo.

Strip the title. He wont have much other choice than to fight the winner.

Why not? In boxing they do it all the time, they just did it recently to Floyd Mayweather.

If the champion doesn't fight against the mandatory next challenger, then the champion loses the title.

What? When was Floyd stripped of a title? And even if he was, this isn't boxing. There aren't tons of belts, but one, and the UFC isn't going to strip their p4p best fighter over a contract/bout negotiation.

Fighting for a interim title while the champion is perfectly healthy.. lol. Stop being an ass Jon. Do your job.

problem is, Jones has pretty much cleaned out LHW already. If Gus and DC fight for interim title, its doubtful the loser of that match would face the winner of Jones - Interim Champ w/out picking up another win or two. That leaves AJ, who still needs another win, before Jones packs up and heads for HW.

Gus is ranked ahead of DC in every ranking I've seen. DC's only credible win at 205 is against Hendo. Other than hype, there's no good reason for him to jump Gus for the shot, and you could make a really good case that AJ's dominant win over Phil is more meaningful than DC's dominant win over Hendo.

This is 100% truth.

really hope they don't fight each other, they both are legit contenders and a loss would set one of them back. Jones probably thinks he can avoid/delay fighting one of them if he makes them fight each other.

And if this fight happens, the winner will fight Jones to unify the belts. Which means, Gus/Cormier would fight in a #1 contenders match like Jones suggested happen months ago.

Hilarious if this happens, I hope it does.

Of course, Jones will have pulled off a nifty trick. Instead of two tough fights to remain champ, he lets DC and Gus eliminate one guy, and Jones only fights the winner. So he either avoids a rematch with Gus, or he never has to fight DC.

Nice trick.

And I favor DC over Gus. I just think DC is a bad matchup for Gus. I wonder if Jones sees the same thing and thinks DC might handle a potential problem for him.

On the other hand, DC is a handful. I doubt Jones is excited to fight him either.

Tito is probably the least respected great fighter out of the entire old guard of MMA, and I think the perception that he was constantly ducking Chuck through the years is a big reason why.
I have plenty of respect for Tito, but the fact remains that Chuck, who was at that point 7-1 in the UFC, won a title eliminator match in June 2002 against Vitor at UFC 37.5 (lol), and did not fight Tito (who was champion for all of 2001, 2002 and most of 2003) until April 2004.

On the other hand, Tito fought precisely three (3) times between September 2001 and September 2003, with his lone fight in 2002 coming against a spent Ken Shamrock at UFC 40, a card where Chuck fought Babalu in the co-main event with his #1 contender status at risk, despite having already beaten Vitor to solidify himself as the #1 contender that June.

Chuck then did not fight until his June 2003 interim championship bout with Randy, which he lost prior to going on a brief sabbatical in PRIDE, and the next thing you know, Tito is eager to fight Randy in September 2003.

Only after losing his title to Randy was Tito willing to fight Chuck, who would then also sorely beat him, and prior to this, Ortiz broke out a laundry list of excuses to decline opportunities to fight Liddell at not one but three separate events: UFC 42, 43, and 46.

Furthermore, from 2000-2002, Tito had no documented injuries of which to speak of, and his sole excuse for not fighting Chuck during that time period was that he "didn't want to fight a friend for little money".

I'm pretty sure Chuck was willing to fight Tito for his title as soon as he had won a fight that would ostensibly guarantee him a shot at that title.
popwarnermma said:
Who said anything about the UFC stripping Aldo of his belt?
Nobody, they are talking about p4p #3 or 4 Jon Jones.

Honestly this is all ridiculous. Dana himself in an interview stated that Jones beat Gus. The only reason Dana wants a rematch is because he sees dollar signs. And yo hype the fight more, Dana is making it look like the champion doesn't want to fight Gus.

First it was we are in contract negotiations with jones, then Gus signed and here's the event we want to have the fight at, now its Jones has five fights left on his contract I don't know why he won't sign. Dana White for you making one big hype job for when the rematch takes place. But he's being a promoter.

Jones isn't ducking anyone he beat Gus then recently fought and dominated Glover. If the UFC stripped Jones of his belt they'd make the sport look like a big farce. Jones just fought glover in late April. Has Gus earned a rematch to a guy he lost a UD to after one fight against who again? At least get some build up here instead of these quick rematches otherwise we might end up with Gus being the lhw version of JDS always number two but not good enough to be number one.

I want to see jj vs dc first. I think the rematch is too soon, need more time for Jones and gus to develop their skills more before they fight again.
Last thing people want is gus vs dc, but for for an interim title, that is a joke.

Wow, the lengths other fighters have to go just because one stinkin' champ doesn't want to sign the bout agreement. Incredible...

The lengths? They would be fighting for the belt. Oh the horror!

fuck it, let cormier heal up and see if he can dump bones on his head, in the meantime let gus fight a bader or somebody similar, top 10, but not really gonna screw things up, then if cormier does beat bones, he can fight gus next, no instant rematch for bones, if bones wins, he has to fight gus next

You still have Barao above Jones?
No. I find the prospect of ranking a non-champion as p4p somewhat hard to stomach. Therefore, I bumped Mighty Mouse up a spot on my list after Barao got tooled.

However, Jones is still one of the absolute best fighters in the UFC. So, I rank him at either #3 after Mighty Mouse and Aldo, or at #4 after Weidman depending on my mood.

This is a rediculous scenario they would knock off a contender, guess that's what jones wants

Jones would just agree to the fight before he lets the UFC pull that bullshit.

Back