DC actually used the Seagal wrist lock & tossed Jones into the cage

0oTJ2YV.gif

http://i.imgur.com/lYrhF7T.webm

Ive been telling people seagal is legit. Everyone was saying that NOTHING from aikido can be used in mma, yet DC does a judo move and gets jones off his back. +1 for aikido. Aikido was derived from judo, so many of the moves look familiar.

Dont worry, wrestling nutthuggers will claim it to he a wrestling move or something, even though nothing has been done ever in the ufc similar to that.

What came first, the judo throw or the hip toss. Sure it might have existed in ancient greece, but it also existed in ancient japan. They didnt learn it from each other.

When machida throws a punch, it may look like a right cross, and people will call it a right cross from boxing. Who invented punching, who knows.

I could of swore I saw him do something like that in the 3rd round I think. anyone got a gif?

An effective Aikido skill no doubt!

Using your opponents momentum and force against them!

Seagal won him a round. And people say he is full of shit.

If that was Seagal's technique, the fight would be over. You know this.

If that's the best example of effective aikido in MMA, it's pretty clearly not even a footnote in the book of MMA skills. That did literally nothing lol

The last thing on DC's mind at that critical moment of fast twitch muscle memory is a "move" steven seagal thought him in a 1 hour "class".

Damn....someone beat me to the joke.

Last edited:
Seagal invented wrist locks. Literally, before the first Olympic Games were held in honor of Zeus in the year 950 BC, Seagal had already been teaching the wrist lock to Greek athletes in exchange for olive loaf, feta cheese bricks and raw minerals to help in repairing his time machine.

Hell, before the Sixth Day when God created Man, Seagal was chillin' with him on the Fifth Day and invented wrists. He said God could use his invention as long as one day, God would allow him to have his own series of straight to video action movies.

It doesn't matter that DC lost the fight, he only took the fight with Jones so he could pay homage to master creator Seagal. It's done, close down the LHW division.

Gold. Thank you for the laugh sir!

Ive been telling people seagal is legit. Everyone was saying that NOTHING from aikido can be used in mma, yet DC does a judo move and gets jones off his back. +1 for aikido. Aikido was derived from judo, so many of the moves look familiar.

This is incorrect. Aikido is derived from aikijujutsu, which is the art Ueshiba studied prior to founding aikido. Judo and Aikido were relatively close in their creation and there was some cross training between them, but neither is derived from the other.

Judo was derived from jujutsu, which Kano studied prior to creating judo. Jujutsu was a subset of aikijujutsu, so it is more accurate to say that judo and aikido have a common ancestor.

Dont worry, wrestling nutthuggers will claim it to he a wrestling move or something, even though nothing has been done ever in the ufc similar to that.

What came first, the judo throw or the hip toss. Sure it might have existed in ancient greece, but it also existed in ancient japan. They didnt learn it from each other.

When machida throws a punch, it may look like a right cross, and people will call it a right cross from boxing. Who invented punching, who knows.

most martial arts that involve similar styles (striking, grappling, submissions) develop very similar techniques as they independently discover the same things are effective. there's nothing wrong with that and it really doesn't matter who figured it out first.

I don't really disagree with anything you are trying point out, other than the fact that if you open your eyes you can see that DC has no hold on Jones, Jones holds DC wrist, DC just pulls him into the cage in an attempt to break the hold and get loose.

It does not mean that there is nothing useful in Aikido though, but jesus christ guys.. don't call it a wrist lock lol.

'That's not a wrist lock. Jones has wrist control over Cormier's right hand, Cormier puts his left forearm between him and Jones to create distance and immediately explodes while rotating his whole torso, thus generating more than enough momentum to yank his right hand free and simultaniously pull Jones to the cage. That's how I see it from the gif atleast.

You can't even call that a real technique in my opinion, that's just clever use of your own body weight and your opponent's momentum, which both happen to be fundamental elements in Aikido, so I guess I can see the connection somewhat.

it looks to me like Jones had cormier's wrist lol

Back