DAZN is offering Canelo half of his 35 mil guaranteed for his next fight

Their last quarterly report showed @sweetviolenturg, @Seano and I as US subscribers. In all seriousness, I bet a lot of folks canceled during this pandemic. I didn't, but only because I'm still in at $9.99/mo and I was hoping they would get back ASAP. ESPN+, too. Showtime. I didn't cancel those, but I'm guessing many weren't as forgiving.

That’s what I thought, but enough to cut Canelo’s pay? what about Joshua’s??

Things are looking up for major businesses and corporations, they are borrowing lots of money right now which is helping the stock market be above where it was before the pandemic, werent people bragging how dazn has millions? anyway.

What better way to re capture lost subscribers and get new ones with a mega fight for Canelo, this a good time since sports are back.

edit* I keep forgetting dazn is an over the top subscription for online, it’s not the same as having a cable provider that has bundled packages that include FOX Showtime and ESPN, and many cable subscriptions come with an early termination fee which means dazn would be the first casualty in a persons budget.

If Canelo opts out of dazn I can almost assure Theyre done in the US

Holy hyperbole.
I gotta say, Ufc sure know how to sell the hell out of their fighters by showing fast highlight reel knockouts over and over with Rogan screaming in the background

These are different times. Boxing was much bigger in the days of Leonard, De La Hoya and even Mayweather. Those guys captured the popular imagination more thoroughly than Canelo does today, and when they came back from a hiatus it was big news. I don’t believe Canelo is on that level. There are I’m sure many reasons why that is the case, but a big one is that the UfC brand of MMA has pushed boxing farther out onto the fringes of sports entertainment. Being the biggest name in the game now isn’t a guarantee that the public knows you or cares about you. The longer he stays away, the less people are going to care.

Canelo may have generated the larger gate but the PPV buys of the Masvidal/Diaz fight and the Masvidal/Usman fight may have been greater than the buys for both fights with GGG. Masvidal apparently appeals to somebody. Let’s not forget that the most lasting memory of the night for most people isn’t the KO of Kovalev, but Canelo sitting on the couch waiting for Masvidal to finish his fight.

There is a big difference between pro boxing business and mma business.
I do not have hight doubts that majority from guys there might be easily turned into a pro boxers with record 3-0-0 for example, if $ for this enough and time too. There with 0 illegal stuff.
If compare to continue to walk after first fight in continental championships in ammy wrestling ( God help if one does know possible premials size in some countries for medals ).

DAZN might survive even without combat sports and empty stuff is assuming that they are stuff like Glory in NL.
They might survive with euro market alone and 0 combat events.
With eurosport nothing bad happened when they changed their attitutde to KB, later also to boxe?
No one died from this.

-

DAZN might survive even without combat sports and empty stuff is assuming that they are stuff like Glory in NL.
They might survive with euro market alone and 0 combat events.
With eurosport nothing bad happened when they changed their attitutde to KB, later also to boxe?
No one died from this.

-
They might survive in Canada because they have rights to the NFL, EPL and Champion’s League. I’m not sure any of those things interest the American market so I don’t know what will happen there.

These are different times. Boxing was much bigger in the days of Leonard, De La Hoya and even Mayweather. Those guys captured the popular imagination more thoroughly than Canelo does today, and when they came back from a hiatus it was big news. I don’t believe Canelo is on that level. There are I’m sure many reasons why that is the case, but a big one is that the UfC brand of MMA has pushed boxing farther out onto the fringes of sports entertainment. Being the biggest name in the game now isn’t a guarantee that the public knows you or cares about you. The longer he stays away, the less people are going to care.

Canelo generates approx as much money as Leonard did

Leonard had 1 fight (with Hagler) that generated over 100m (adjusted for inflation), Canelo has 3. But things are different I agree, people like Canelo draw more money from fewer people. If he spoke English he would draw even more, as this is a personality driven sport, his inability to speak english is a bigger issue than your alleged unsubstantiated "MMA pushing boxing to the fringes" hype

Canelo may have generated the larger gate but the PPV buys of the Masvidal/Diaz fight and the Masvidal/Usman fight may have been greater than the buys for both fights with GGG. Masvidal apparently appeals to somebody. Let’s not forget that the most lasting memory of the night for most people isn’t the KO of Kovalev, but Canelo sitting on the couch waiting for Masvidal to finish his fight.

,Boxing PPV cost more money, so it is isn't a fair fight, in that respect but as for live gate;
Masvidal/diaz - 6m, edited ( had said masvidal/usman)
Conor/khabib - 17m
Canelo/GGG - 27m

Canelo wasn't sitting on a couch, but a pile of money

Last edited:
Why? He did things his way and still made epic generational wealth. Paid to call his own shots. And will make a ton more again in the 3rd fight.
Canelo doesn't seem to be too happy right now in his deal and them dictating who he can and can't fight.
Is he calling his own shots he isn’t though is he? He fought breazeale for a fraction of what dazn would have paid him and decided to fight fury. He then had to rematch him and he lost his title so no has fight him again so not exactly making his own decisions. Plus he didn’t make 80m from the two fury fights.

Ok so there is a third fight but I am much sure he would rather fight AJ than Fury. He hasn’t been able to make his own decisions since he decided to fight fury the first time.

I might be wrong but I am fairly sure if he could make the choice again he would have took DAZN 3 fight deal.

Leonard had 1 fight (with Hagler) that generated over 100m (adjusted for inflation), Canelo has 3. But things are different I agree, people like Canelo draw more money from fewer people. If he spoke English he would draw even more, as this is a personality driven sport, his inability to speak english is a bigger issue than your alleged unsubstantiated "MMA pushing boxing to the fringes" hype

,Boxing PPV cost more money, so it is isn't a fair fight, in that respect but as for live gate;
Masvidal/usman - 6m
Conor/khabib - 17m
Canelo/GGG - 27m

Masvidal/Usman didn’t have a gate??

AJ and eddy definitely fucked up in 2018 when they were on top of the boxing world

Offering shitty splits to wilder allowed Tyson fury to slip right back in and funnily enough make wilder an even bigger star. Joshua isn’t as known as fury is in the us
Biggest mistake Eddie made was deciding against signing fury.

I think the contract is based on the hope that at least one Canelo mega fight a year would bring in new subscribers and therefore make the contact worth their while.

A Canelo fight against some random Turk isn’t bringing in subscribers... not even
Is he calling his own shots he isn’t though is he? He fought breazeale for a fraction of what dazn would have paid him and decided to fight fury. He then had to rematch him and he lost his title so no has fight him again so not exactly making his own decisions. Plus he didn’t make 80m from the two fury fights.

Ok so there is a third fight but I am much sure he would rather fight AJ than Fury. He hasn’t been able to make his own decisions since he decided to fight fury the first time.

I might be wrong but I am fairly sure if he could make the choice again he would have took DAZN 3 fight deal.
That is a complete fairytale and total made up weird speculation.
He is the one exercising the clause
Lmao if he didn't want the 3rd fight he wouldn't be doing it.
Fury rather move on to a Joshua mega fight I'm sure as opposed to fighting Wilder again.
Nothing you said proves or shows he isn't make his own decisions.
Dazn is also not paying Canelo their agreed price per fight.... So you are still dealing with a contract you have never seen or know the ins and outs of.

I’m not sure any of those things interest the American market so I don’t know what will happen there.
Well, the american market isn't only one in the world and euro market too does have plenty and enough $ to milk, if honestly, asian market maybe even considerably more.
----
We are in sports oriented forum that is oriented on combat sports, so our attitude is different.
In other sports fans oriented fourms and portals attitude is different.
--
Combat sports aren't only one attention drivers to get bucks from wievership.
---
One from sport portals in europe referenced about fight event only results from fights with 3 pairs, guys that were longer time in the game.
Another pairs results : no, and despite this media more local, it is funny that if they did not had knew enough long time about scene, then might not mention your pro fight results despite you were conitiental championship silver medalist in ammies, just you are not yet enough well known guy and therefore, no one in this said one another media does care, are you 2-0-0 or 3-0-0 or 0-0-10 pro boxer.
Instead talks about basketball, soccer etc : full portal.
----
Attitude is different and it is damn hard to get NEW more combat sport fans, even casual journalists interest unless this is something really loud etc alike event.

He drew with fury so he has to rematch - not much of a choice there

He looses to fury - ok he didn’t have to take his rematch but again not really a choice is it?

He got paid less than 100m for the 3 fights and has lost his belt after getting an absolute pasting (regardless of excuses). I am just saying I reckon he might regret not going down the other road.

Masvidal/usman - 6m
Conor/khabib - 17m
Canelo/GGG - 27m

If you want to compare live gates why compare the live gate of the biggest boxing event that could be made at the time with an Usman title defence? Why not McGregor/Khabib with Canelo’s last live gate. Or even the Usman title defence against the Canelo’s last live gate. In The second case that would be $6 million vs about $8 million. The difference isn’t that dramatic and the 1 million PPV buys makes up for a lot.

canelo probably does draw more money from fewer people but I don’t see that as a good thing necessarily. Does that mean audience for boxing is shrinking and being squeezed for every last penny? If that’s so, how much shrinkage can be tolerated and how hard can the audience be squeezed before it just loses interest?

Nobody is denying he’s rich, but we all saw him sitting on that couch playing second fiddle to the BMF champion.

Well, the american market isn't only one in the world and euro market too does have plenty and enough $ to milk, if honestly, asian market maybe even considerably more.
----
We are in sports oriented forum that is oriented on combat sports, so our attitude is different.
In other sports fans oriented fourms and portals attitude is different.
--
Combat sports aren't only one attention drivers to get bucks from wievership.
---
One from sport portals in europe referenced about fight event only results from fights with 3 pairs, guys that were longer time in the game.
Another pairs results : no, and despite this media more local, it is funny that if they did not had knew enough long time about scene, then might not mention your pro fight results despite you were conitiental championship silver medalist in ammies, just you are not yet enough well known guy and therefore, no one in this said one another media does care, are you 2-0-0 or 3-0-0 or 0-0-10 pro boxer.
Instead talks about basketball, soccer etc : full portal.
----
Attitude is different and it is damn hard to get NEW more combat sport fans, even casual journalists interest unless this is something really loud etc alike event.
I just mentioned the American market because they seemed keen on cracking it and thought they had the right approach. It doesn’t really look like it’s paid off so I’m not sure what that leaves them with in the US. I am certain BKFC will appeal to even fewer people than Matchroom USA and Bellator.

He drew with fury so he has to rematch - not much of a choice there

He looses to fury - ok he didn’t have to take his rematch but again not really a choice is it?

He got paid less than 100m for the 3 fights and has lost his belt after getting an absolute pasting (regardless of excuses). I am just saying I reckon he might regret not going down the other road.

Yeah but now dazn not looking to pay out and it’s not like dazn would make wilder a star.

He took the best route to go and increased his fame 10x by staying and facing fury with espn backing them. Canelo was already well known before dazn. Haven’t seen dazn make anyone big yet

I read Hearn made a generous offer but Fury wanted to remain loyal to Warren
You heard bollocks.....fury wanted to sign with Hearn but Hearn said there was not way he could credibility promote fury against the first opponents he wanted on the come back.....so fury went to warren who took the chance

If you want to compare live gates why compare the live gate of the biggest boxing event that could be made at the time with an Usman title defence? Why not McGregor/Khabib with Canelo’s last live gate. Or even the Usman title defence against the Canelo’s last live gate. In The second case that would be $6 million vs about $8 million. The difference isn’t that dramatic and the 1 million PPV buys makes up for a lot.

canelo probably does draw more money from fewer people but I don’t see that as a good thing necessarily. Does that mean audience for boxing is shrinking and being squeezed for every last penny? If that’s so, how much shrinkage can be tolerated and how hard can the audience be squeezed before it just loses interest?

Nobody is denying he’s rich, but we all saw him sitting on that couch playing second fiddle to the BMF champion.

I only compared Canelo/ggg with masvidal fights, as you were comparing their PPV numbers, ( even though each event has different prices)

When you compare transferable numbers like live gate there is no contest. Jorge may have more likes on social media and more teenage girls looking at his instagram profile, but that hasn't translated to dollars and cents.

don't believe the hype about MMA trouncing boxing yet,just because Joe Rogan and skip bayliss told you so. Not only has Canelo outdrawn masvidal but also Conor at the live gate , even Wilder/Fury outdrew most of conor gates

MMA is growing, but it hasn't outgrown boxing yet, despite the hype, don't think the relative post counts on sherdog.com fight forums is indicative of national interest

Yeah but now dazn not looking to pay out and it’s not like dazn would make wilder a star.

He took the best route to go and increased his fame 10x by staying and facing fury with espn backing them. Canelo was already well known before dazn. Haven’t seen dazn make anyone big yet
It’s fury espn are backing and fury that has increased his fame.....if wilder looses this rematch it will be difficult for him he might just pack it up

Back