DAZN is offering Canelo half of his 35 mil guaranteed for his next fight

Joshua isn’t as known as fury is in the us
most likely, in europe A.J had been more known + not bad PR stuff for him too. In U.K sales with him on card ofc enough good, not less than with fury on card. Now with this covid era, will see how it will turns. Earlier live gates with him in euro were good.

Judging from AJ's CV, they had every reason to think he would be able to dispose of pudgy little Andy Ruiz, with his 60% KO ratio. Time told differently.
If looking at Ruiz's CV more deep, he despite isn't fotogenic example, did not looks some kind of " easy deal ". Ruiz never had been stopped in pros and guy that before A.J had won Ruiz on cards, did not attempted to KO Ruiz but outbox Ruiz and therefore won. /
Looks that A.J team took it into account when prepared for 2 nd fight with Ruiz and there yeah, were succesful.

He's never really shown much of a competitive drive so I'm not surprised. It's a shame we went from Floyd to him as the face of boxing. Neither guy are really about much more than the purses.

They're both about the purses, but they both also fought tons of world tiltists, Floyd did so from 130 to 154 and Canelo from 154 to 175. I'd give them a break when it comes to cherry picking. The greed gets annoying, though.

Casual fans will pay to watch an mma journeyman like Jorge Masvidal before they’ll watch Canelo.
Well, in mma fanbase does not work like in pro boxing business with always by 90% clear A and B sides = sometimes too boring business game.
-
Pro boxing is damn interesting but it is not more than 90% business and maybe 10% remainings from sport.
What kind of fighters we do have in a pro boxing:?
Tickets sellers and these that can't sell them. Maybe they are not locals or not enough well known.
It is the same regardless small club or large events, then ofc they doesn't sell tickets but with them is better to sell more and more expensive tickets.
-
What there remains: is some enough marketable or no, does he have fan friendly style or no, does he have some investors/ sponsors etc.
-
Then there are some guys that are used just to fill undercards and mainly are nobodies, not a or b side, happens too, in smaller promotions more often.
Journeymans. Not all are that bad, maybe with proper pre fight camps and long notice and proper matchup they might had another career, some from these not.
Journeymans are different levels: too dangerous aren't used after this is spotted out, then these that can't win fight on cards and walk till end of fight, sometimes knowing that if they will won fight, most likely will not get next call from this promoter. Different layers with these that simply are not enough good and can't won cos they can't. Then these " bags " that might agree to fight even 2 fights during 2 weeks and only stuff they care about: not to get stopped because then licence will be suspended for some timeframe if KO or TKO etc will happen + ofc not to win studs because therefore they will not get next offers from this prom. / Then also bags that more often fall down and therefore fights rarerly if compare with walking bag type.
Higher level than these journeyman most likely will fight with vigor but he too does knows that he will not be a prospect in some promotion and .......... is used as B side guy.
Then some gatekeeper type guys, agains.
-
+ prospects that are considered to develop and invest into them time, bucks and efforts, unless they will fall during some step of their career.
--------
MMA isn't that much about large numbers in win list and preferably undefeated record to be considered as casual fighter, not a journeyman. Cotender status too is not going from number of beated up bags.
The same journeyman standart in US is different meaning than in U.K and in some other countries these that 99% will not have chance to won fight are called bags etc.
-------------------------
Boxe is more close to me but yeah, I better watch " journeyman Masvidal " if I wish to see fight where I buy 90% do not know who will be winner only by reading scheduled fight cards and a bit short digging about fighters. It is very boring.

There's of liguistic differences, in non english countries a journeyman ofc means that he is B side matchup and he is not ticket seller but guest but still he can bang if landed.
In russian total no hopers are called as bags not a journeyman.+ still due to current matchup not if compare these guys with average person in the pub for example.
-
Resembles then boxer's bag for training.

Last edited:
That's where I'm confused, why can't dazn afford Canelo's contract right now?? Isn't their income based on subscriptions?? The pandemic shouldnt be affecting that and whatever happened to Hearn's bold prediction that millions will subscribe to dazn, live gates shouldn't be a concern to them if anything its a concern for GBP and Canelo, Top Rank and PBC are putting on fights for their respected networks because they're obligated, not so much because they're killing it on ticket sales, this again makes me think dazn is in the hole and is using the pandemic as an excuse.
Yeah but plenty of people would have cancelled their subscription during the pandemic as DAZN weren't really putting on shows.

Well, in mma fanbase does not work like in pro boxing business with always by 90% clear A and B sides = sometimes too boring business game.
-
Pro boxing is damn interesting but it is not more than 90% business and maybe 10% remainings from sport.
What kind of fighters we do have in a pro boxing:?
Tickets sellers and these that can't sell them. Maybe they are not locals or not enough well known.
It is the same regardless small club or large events, then ofc they doesn't sell tickets but with them is better to sell more and more expensive tickets.
-
What there remains: is some enough marketable or no, does he have fan friendly style or no, does he have some investors/ sponsors etc.
-
Then there are some guys that are used just to fill undercards and mainly are nobodies, not a or b side, happens too, in smaller promotions more often.
Journeymans. Not all are that bad, maybe with proper pre fight camps and long notice and proper matchup they might had another career, some from these not.
Journeymans are different levels: too dangerous aren't used after this is spotted out, then these that can't win fight on cards and walk till end of fight, sometimes knowing that if they will won fight, most likely will not get next call from this promoter. Different layers with these that simply are not enough good and can't won cos they can't. Then these " bags " that might agree to fight even 2 fights during 2 weeks and only stuff they care about: not to get stopped because then licence will be suspended for some timeframe if KO or TKO etc will happen + ofc not to win studs because therefore they will not get next offers from this prom. / Then also bags that more often fall down and therefore fights rarerly if compare with walking bag type.
Higher level than these journeyman most likely will fight with vigor but he too does knows that he will not be a prospect in some promotion and .......... is used as B side guy.
Then some gatekeeper type guys, agains.
-
+ prospects that are considered to develop and invest into them time, bucks and efforts, unless they will fall during some step of their career.
--------
MMA isn't that much about large numbers in win list and preferably undefeated record to be considered as casual fighter, not a journeyman. Cotender status too is not going from number of beated up bags.
The same journeyman standart in US is different meaning than in U.K and in some other countries these that 99% will not have chance to won fight are called bags etc.
-------------------------
Boxe is more close to me but yeah, I better watch " journeyman Masvidal " if I wish to see fight where I buy 90% do not know who will be winner only by reading scheduled fight cards and a bit short digging about fighters. It is very boring.
I guess the point I wanted to make and didn’t make very well is that Canelo, the closest thing boxing has to a superstar, has been superseded by a guy who has no business, as far as his talent is concerned, operating in the same realm. Masvidal is a journeyman. I don’t mean he’s a bum or a bag; I mean he’s a decent reliable guy who shows up to fight. There’s nothing elite about him but he’ll try hard and make his opponent work. Sometimes he wins and sometimes he loses. There’s something wrong when casual fans of combat sports clamour for him over a truly elite (and often quite exciting) fighter like Canelo.

Over the past year Canelo has fallen of the radar of casual fans, and if he were to dump DAZN, or part ways amicably, or whatever I don’t think he’s reclaiming any PPV crown and he definitely isn’t making $35 million. I think he should patch thinks up with DAZN, fight often against the decent opponents they have for him, and, yes, maybe take a one-time financial hit to get back on track. Digging in his heels is going to lead to him becoming completely irrelevant in the boxing landscape.

I guess the point I wanted to make and didn’t make very well is that Canelo, the closest thing boxing has to a superstar, has been superseded by a guy who has no business, as far as his talent is concerned, operating in the same realm. Masvidal is a journeyman. I don’t mean he’s a bum or a bag; I mean he’s a decent reliable guy who shows up to fight. There’s nothing elite about him but he’ll try hard and make his opponent work. Sometimes he wins and sometimes he loses. There’s something wrong when casual fans of combat sports clamour for him over a truly elite (and often quite exciting) fighter like Canelo.

Over the past year Canelo has fallen of the radar of casual fans, and if he were to dump DAZN, or part ways amicably, or whatever I don’t think he’s reclaiming any PPV crown and he definitely isn’t making $35 million. I think he should patch thinks up with DAZN, fight often against the decent opponents they have for him, and, yes, maybe take a one-time financial hit to get back on track. Digging in his heels is going to lead to him becoming completely irrelevant in the boxing landscape.
Holy hyperbole.

About him being the closest thing boxing has to a superstar? I think that fits, or did fit when he signed the DAZN contract.
No. About his popularity, Masvidal, and becoming irrelevant. That is borderline absurd.

No. About his popularity, Masvidal, and becoming irrelevant. That is borderline absurd.
Masvidal is hot right now and his PPV numbers support that. And an athlete can certainly become irrelevant if he ends up spending too much time on the sidelines. Unfortunately the popularity of the sport (Probably any sport) is driven largely by casual interest and if you aren’t fighting casual fans aren’t interested in you. They won’t necessarily come back once you resume fighting, either.

Masvidal is hot right now and his PPV numbers support that. And an athlete can certainly become irrelevant if he ends up spending too much time on the sidelines. Unfortunately the popularity of the sport (Probably any sport) is driven largely by casual interest and if you aren’t fighting casual fans aren’t interested in you. They won’t necessarily come back once you resume fighting, either.
Canelo isnt remotely close to irrelevant.

I think he can get there faster than he knows.
Theres quite literally nothing to suggest this. Die hards and casuals alike are begging for fights. The biggest show in boxing isnt going to just disappear.

Everyone keeps putting the blame on Canelo, who else in boxing is putting on big fights right now? The shows are few and far inbetween, and really no superstars. You pair that with the boogeyman Smith and the fraud BJS avoiding Canelo like the plague and its pretty laughable to pretend like Canelo is going to fade into irrelevance.

Yeah but plenty of people would have cancelled their subscription during the pandemic as DAZN weren't really putting on shows.

I think the contract is based on the hope that at least one Canelo mega fight a year would bring in new subscribers and therefore make the contact worth their while.

A Canelo fight against some random Turk isn’t bringing in subscribers... not even in Turkey it the Muslim world as this guy is understood to be a no hoper. So Canelo is asking DAZN to take a bath to pay his wages for the fight, with no guarantee that they’re going to get the big GGG blockbuster in the first half on 2021.

Fact is: Canelo got his contract and like a lot of prima donna athletes with fat guaranteed deals he’s decided that he’s going to coast on it.

He doesn’t want to give GGG a third fight. And doesn’t want to face any of the killers at 175 (Beterbiev, Bivol)

He’s purely in Money mode right now... might as well go fight Jorge Masvidal or McGregor at this pint as at least there’s some money in that fight.

Now I’ll sit back and wait for the Golden Boy plants and Canelo boot lockers to tell me why Turkmenistan and Quigley are the next two worthy opponents

Theres quite literally nothing to suggest this. Die hards and casuals alike are begging for fights. The biggest show in boxing isnt going to just disappear.

Everyone keeps putting the blame on Canelo, who else in boxing is putting on big fights right now? The shows are few and far inbetween, and really no superstars. You pair that with the boogeyman Smith and the fraud BJS avoiding Canelo like the plague and its pretty laughable to pretend like Canelo is going to fade into irrelevance.

I’m not putting the blame on Canelo. I’m an admirer of his talent and professionalism. I do think that at this particular moment being flexible can benefit him. There’s plenty of blame to go around I’m sure DAZN probably deserves a lot of it.

I tend to agree with you about BJS. He isn’t interested in any tough or challenging fight. Smith might just be dumb or under the sway of a bad advisor. If you look at the history of SMW I bet you find a lot of titleists on his level who were lucky to see 200k a fight. Maybe Roy Jones or James Toney got the equivalent of $8 million but they were great. He should consider himself very lucky if someone offers him a few million to fight.

A Canelo fight will always be of interest to die hard fans, but casuals are fickle. You stay away too long and it’s like you never existed. I hope that is t the case here but you never know.

I think the contract is based on the hope that at least one Canelo mega fight a year would bring in new subscribers and therefore make the contact worth their while.

A Canelo fight against some random Turk isn’t bringing in subscribers... not even in Turkey it the Muslim world as this guy is understood to be a no hoper. So Canelo is asking DAZN to take a bath to pay his wages for the fight, with no guarantee that they’re going to get the big GGG blockbuster in the first half on 2021.

Fact is: Canelo got his contract and like a lot of prima donna athletes with fat guaranteed deals he’s decided that he’s going to coast on it.

He doesn’t want to give GGG a third fight. And doesn’t want to face any of the killers at 175 (Beterbiev, Bivol)

He’s purely in Money mode right now... might as well go fight Jorge Masvidal or McGregor at this pint as at least there’s some money in that fight.

Now I’ll sit back and wait for the Golden Boy plants and Canelo boot lockers to tell me why Turkmenistan and Quigley are the next two worthy opponents
Canelo and Golovkin are already working on the third fight for early 2021 lol. But of course, somehow hes ducking the guy hes fought twice already right?

https://www.badlefthook.com/platfor...021-both-fighters-interested-dazn-boxing-news

Name me a superstar fighter who became irrelevant by spending too much time on the sidelines? It is more likely to add to star power for when they come back

Although I don't think that is what Canelo is planning he is already a huge star much bigger than masvidal, jorge largest live gate if 6m, Canelo has fights that generated 3 or 4 times that. In fact Canelo fought on the same night and generated 8m+. Canelo's fight was on the DaZn so you can't get PPV numbers

Back