DAZN is offering Canelo half of his 35 mil guaranteed for his next fight

So in summary from canelo point of view it’s gone from $35m a fight where he gets final say on opponent to new terms of $20m (Plus upside DAZN performance) a fight and DAZN get to pick them....not sure if he will want to accept that
Yeah sounds like doing buisness with Dazn can be drastically different than what was agreed upon or even rumored.
I also don't see how anymore big names would sign their career prime fights away for these tactics.

he clearly didn't have final say
I guess technically he did until Dazn said he didn't lol
which would be less than a 75/25 split and Smith is the champion. $8M for Smith if Canelo makes $20M makes it a 60/40 split
On what planet would Smith get even close to a decent split vs Canelo??? Where they do dat at??? And why would that ever be a 60/40 fight?

which would be less than a 75/25 split and Smith is the champion. $8M for Smith if Canelo makes $20M makes it a 60/40 split
Im all for Smith getting more. Hes not going to though. If anything hell probably get less money total (but a higher % of the purse) even if he fights Canelo now.

I guess technically he did until Dazn said he didn't lol

On what planet would Smith get even close to a decent split vs Canelo??? Where they do dat at??? And why would that ever be a 60/40 fight?
in a purse bid he'd get 75%

Im all for Smith getting more. Hes not going to though. If anything hell probably get less money total (but a higher % of the purse) even if he fights Canelo now.
the % thing is very important for a fighter feeling respected, also for future fights should he win. "oh yeah you won but you only took 22% to fight Canelo, we can give you maybe 30% to fight BJS since he's not as big as Canelo"

Yeah sounds like doing buisness with Dazn can be drastically different than what was agreed upon or even rumored.
I also don't see how anymore big names would sign their career prime fights away for these tactics.
Canelo didn’t have a contract with DAZN it seems only GPB and they have messed him up. He should really have looked at the contract between DAZN and GBP before he signed

the % thing is very important for a fighter feeling respected, also for future fights should he win. "oh yeah you won but you only took 22% to fight Canelo, we can give you maybe 30% to fight BJS since he's not as big as Canelo"
You actually believe this? What do you think the total purse would be for Smith/Saunders, for example?

You are kidding yourself if you think any fighter would rather make 40% of a small purse rather than 8 million of a massive purse.

These guys arent fighting at this level for respect lol.

Canelo didn’t have a contract with DAZN it seems only GPB and they have messed him up. He should really have looked at the contract between DAZN and GBP before he signed
At the end of the days the numbers are less for the same fights....they just added more lower drawing names to choose from.

You actually believe this? What do you think the total purse would be for Smith/Saunders, for example?

You are kidding yourself if you think any fighter would rather make 40% of a small purse rather than 8 million of a massive purse.

These guys arent fighting at this level for respect lol.
I said that if the 40% is still $8 million vs Canelo's $20M, then yes, he'd rather make that then the $8M be 22% of of what Canelo was making at $35M, because it shows that there's more money to go around and its disrespectful to offer that low of money.

Total purse for BJS/Smith would be realistically be about $8-10 million and at worst a 55/45 split. It'd be a unification fight and they'd both be bringing something to the table, not to mention, I do believe Smith has had a higher single fight career purse than BJS has had from his fight with Groves.

Last edited:
At the end of the days the numbers are less for the same fights....they just added more lower drawing names to choose from.
Yeah that’s my point canelo is getting a pay cut and has to fight who is he told

I’d like to see dazn’s numbers because streaming services haven’t necessarily suffered in the pandemic, at least not as much as other industries. Sure sports got kicked in the nuts and dazn is all sports but I wonder how many subscriptions they lost (or didn’t gain) since all of this started.

I assume the lawsuit is over and canelo / GBP / DAZN have agreed to part ways

streaming services haven’t necessarily suffered in the pandemic, at least not as much as other industries
Live gates income before this viruse were..... very important.
Of course this does have impact because well sold out live gates means covered arena, also undercards expenses and so on. broadcasting $ EUR etc mainly for main cards in event etc.
Good model. Sadly this viruse appeared and now.

Of course this does have impact because well sold out live gates means covered arena, also undercards expenses and so on. broadcasting $ EUR etc mainly for main cards in event etc.

yea those things suck but tbh, streaming has gone through the roof. Netflix for example benefited from the pandemic. I wonder if dazn increased. Even though live sports suck right now

Crowd of 20k at 100 a ticket is 2mill. I don't think that's moving the needle for anyone.

Ppl like to talk how low impact live gates does have etc.
It isn't like this, in big events live gates usually cover arena and undercards + a bit other expenses too.
Not all tickets are for 100.
If we count even europe ( that is poor for american fans opinions ), tickets for big events are like from 25-50 till 150-250 or more eur depending from sector and demand.
VIP tables and lodges are with different pricetags of course.

Plus live arena does have opportunities to charge companies for advertisement banners in halls, arena etc. There are catering services, bars etc too. car parking businesses etc.
Like event with 10000 - 65000 ppl is something more than just 100 buck for 1 ticket.

Ppl like to talk how low impact live gates does have etc.
It isn't like this, in big events live gates usually cover arena and undercards + a bit other expenses too.
Not all tickets are for 100.
If we count even europe ( that is poor for american fans opinions ), tickets for big events are like from 25-50 till 150-250 or more eur depending from sector and demand.
VIP tables and lodges are with different pricetags of course.

Plus live arena does have opportunities to charge companies for advertisement banners in halls, arena etc. There are catering services, bars etc too. car parking businesses etc.
Like event with 10000 - 65000 ppl is something more than just 100 buck for 1 ticket.
I fully agree. Plus the live gate is much higher, tickets usually start at 80-100 but a hig part of them are way more expensive.

Yeah, not rarerly when demand increases, prices are growing and usually advertisement starts from cheapest sectors tickets in the beginning of tickets sales for said event.
even the same eastern euro might had starting from 25 - 29 and more expensive 100 plus and hyping to 150 and more in eur. 250 too.
VIP table pricing too is variable, in the same arena depending from demand and event caliber might had variations from 200 till more than 1250 eur.
pricing for free VIP lodges is different universe of course.
----
funny that in some places pre 2008 th era vip tables sometimes were more expensive, fe the same hall, then had even 2 k and 2,2 k usd eq for a vip table, now the same place before covid had max 1250..... eur. /
/

On the slip side, venue is cheaper. The cost to rent out Madison Square Garden on a prime night runs $500k to a million

That being said, with the pandemic there is a lot less content. We didnt have a Cinco Mayo event which is the time when most people started the annual subscription.
Both DAZN and ESPN had 2 massive rounds of layoffs this year.

Back