DAZN is offering Canelo half of his 35 mil guaranteed for his next fight

Well 3 of them have taken heavy losses and who knows how they've been effected? Even AJ, that nervous performance didnt convince anyone he's back to 100%.

I'm confused, he has a contract, how can they decide to cut it in half now?

I am guessing there are clauses in contract around not being able to stage fights etc but like I said previously I reckon both sides want to keep the contract going so more a case of agreeing on some middle ground

I'm confused, he has a contract, how can they decide to cut it in half now?
Well, I don't have access to the actual contract but... if there is no time clause DAZN could just sit him on the sidelines until crowds return making it financially viable. This is not ideal for boxing fans, obviously, and also it costs Canelo time during the prime of his career.

Also, if DAZN goes tits up Canelo will get nothing.

Lastly, it's common for there to be not only a dollar amount, but clauses that state that the network will have say in the opponents for the agreed upon payday. Some back and forth is expected, but to cut the payday in half??? That's not normal, but we are not in a normal time on this planet.

Fury I think might be a bit worse for him. Highly skilled, large, strong and heavy guy with A+++ level clinch skills + high fight IQ level.
No reach advantage like vs Ruiz, clinch skills definitely not worse than Ruiz's skills.
More mobile on feet than Ruiz.

You are entitled to your opinion, but mine is that AJ outworks Fury 9 times out of 10, whereas Wilder has/had a very real chance to knock Joshua the fuck out. Fury doesn't have that one hitter quitter power.

Fury also isn't out muscling a much smaller man against Joshua the way he did in the Wilder rematch. He'll have to rely on his boxing skill, and Joshua already beat a better version of Fury in Klitschko.

All that said, they may never fight. Fury is a flake.

I guess people who are punched in the head for a living don’t understand that money doesn’t just magically appear from nowhere because you’re good at punching heads

Does “Guaranteed” mean anything to you??

Seems this situation is going along just swimmingly...

Does “Guaranteed” mean anything to you??
Do you understand that wealth does not come from thin air and that people have to work or offer a service to get people to give them their money?

If the promoters, if the venue, if the broadcasting company does not make money, they cannot possibly pay fighters.

I can’t believe I’m explaining this to what I assume is an adult

Do you understand that wealth does not come from thin air and that people have to work or offer a service to get people to give them their money?

If the promoters, if the venue, if the broadcasting company does not make money, they cannot possibly pay fighters.

I can’t believe I’m explaining this to what I assume is an adult
Care to explain why they cant pay Canelo’s contacted purses but have a billion laying around for soccer?

Care to explain why they cant pay Canelo’s contacted purses but have a billion laying around for soccer?

Probably because that billion in soccer (the biggest sport in the world) is projected to turn a profit and therefore worthy of the investment?

Probably because that billion in soccer (the biggest sport in the world) is projected to turn a profit and therefore worthy of the investment?
Not how contracts work is it.....? Care to explain how Canelo is willing to take a paycut for actual fights but DAZN wants him to fight UFC guys or De La Hoya?

DAZN is a fucking joke. Plain and simple.

Not how contracts work is it.....? Care to explain how Canelo is willing to take a paycut for actual fights but DAZN wants him to fight UFC guys or De La Hoya?

DAZN is a fucking joke. Plain and simple.
If DAZN has the money and are contractually obliged to give Canelo his money, he has a case.

I was operating under the assumption that they had legitimate issues raising money.

If DAZN has the money and are contractually obliged to give Canelo his money, he has a case.

I was operating under the assumption that they had legitimate issues raising money.
That was a reasonable assumption. Spending billions while complaining about contracts is a pretty bad look.

That was a reasonable assumption. Spending billions while complaining about contracts is a pretty bad look.
I don’t think that it’s a case they don’t have the money it’s just they don’t want to pay him for who he wants to fight.......if they think they have a contract where they get to choose who he fights then canelo might not end up fighting for a while. It seems like DAZN have got themselves a reputation of being a cash cow and all of canelo possible opponents want to milk it. Maybe they don’t think they are getting good value for money and believe the contact is not as tight as canelo thinks.

I don’t think that it’s a case they don’t have the money it’s just they don’t want to pay him for who he wants to fight.......if they think they have a contract where they get to choose who he fights then canelo might not end up fighting for a while. It seems like DAZN have got themselves a reputation of being a cash cow and all of canelo possible opponents want to milk it. Maybe they don’t think they are getting good value for money and believe the contact is not as tight as canelo thinks.
Well to say guys like Jacobs, Kova, Saunders, Smith arent “premium” and DLH and non-boxers are speaks volumes to this clown show.

Well to say guys like Jacobs, Kova, Saunders, Smith arent “premium” and DLH and non-boxers are speaks volumes to this clown show.
Agreed but if they are entitled to say that because the contract allows it means canelo is a clown for signing it and it’s pretty much worthless

lol @ Jacobs and Saunders not being "premium" fights and offering UFC fighters and Oscar de la Yayo as better options. My first thought was Canelo is being a drama queen but it turns out DAZN is just trying to back out of their deal. Tough shit.

lol @ Jacobs and Saunders not being "premium" fights and offering UFC fighters and Oscar de la Yayo as better options. My first thought was Canelo is being a drama queen but it turns out DAZN is just trying to back out of their deal. Tough shit.
The only thing "premium" about Oscar these days is his primo grade of coke.

The only thing "premium" about Oscar these days is his primo grade of coke.

Canelo always seemed like a loss leader to me; they don't necessarily make a profit off of him but he legitimizes their business and puts a spotlight on the network. So its as much or more of a marketing acquisition than a profit minded one. But it doesn't sound like DAZN thought the same thing. They must have thought another Golovkin or Mayweather would just spring up from nowhere. At this point even a fight with Beterbiev or Bivol wouldn't suffice as "premium" because those fights still wouldn't generate enough casual interest.

Works for me at least that would be facing another top 10 HW. Happy to be proved wrong if wilder can beat an other top 10 HW as I say I hope he doesn’t quit if fury beats him again.

if that happens all the wilder fan boys will be saying he was only even beaten by the best when the reality was he never faced any of the other top HW of his era

Hopefully next time they're scheduled to fight Povetkin can avoid the gear and not get the fight canceled.

Back