DAZN goes months at a time without content

I just canceled my DAZN service. Here I am paying $10 a month, yet they have ZERO original content week after week. I’m not paying for one fight weekend every other month. It’s kind of ridiculous
Aren’t you supposed to tell us to sign up for fight pass?

I knew the convo would be interesting after these intial post lol.

Now I am no linesman/tech, but when WWE network launched they admitted that buffering issues were on their end & that even though not everyone had issues, that they were ill-prepared for the PPV.

Couldn't it be that subs with a less than great broadband connection had issues?
not everyone will have 100mbps or over
kinda, but there are so many variables.

someone can have a 100mbps connection... but have a lot of noise in the line that can often degrade the signal (and it often gets affected by temperature, ie: hot summer days and freezing winters), to a router that can't handle the bandwidth to utorrent seeding and cutting off connections to... etc and etc. and this is all just local.

additionally, there's a huge difference between using netflix/etc and livestreaming. livestreaming will be much more sensitive to drops in bandwidth/etc, without being able to cache ahead.

He pretty much covered it.

Weather can definitely play a huge part, especially rain/snow. Electricity and water don't mix very well, so if it's wet in the main cable or the drop to the customer's house, there is another issue.

The possibilities are literally endless and only an experienced technician with the proper equipment (and the will to fix it) will be able to tell for sure.

Unfortunately in my industry there seem to be enough people who would rather slough the job and make it the next techs issue to try and hang a new line to the house through a forest for 6 hours. This is where the will to fix the issue comes in to play. I have been back to jobs the day after someone else signed them off as complete.

Literally, we could sit here for days on end theorycrafting service issues. The only true way to know would be to have a caring and non-lazy technician check everything between the modem and the central office.

Also, I should note that on our network, we recommend a speed of 5 MB per stream. If the line is clean and balanced, 100 MB isnt needed, not even close. At that speed, you could potentially stream 20 things at the same time, however unrealistic that is.

12 years as a DSL / Fibre tech (still ongoing) and 2 years working on broadband give me a good understanding of all the potential issues a network can have.

An internet speedtest is as accurate as taking a car for a speedtest on the highway. Sure, you will learn what your max speed can/should be, but it doesn't show any of the problems the car has.

Hope this helps a bit.

Assuming that your lines are good, then yes 25MB should be great.

However, just because a speed test says 25MB doesn't mean you aren't losing packets due to shorts, grounds, dirty opens, etc. These would cause buffering.

If you have the equipment to meter the line and it tests good, then you can look at the port providing your internet service as well.

This week I had a job with 100MB at the jack , but as soon as a modem is connected the max attainable dropped to 43, and 39 at the side of the house. I changed the SLAM port (alcatel 7330) and boom, 100MB when the modem is connected.

Lots of stuff between you and DAZN, not saying it's not on their end, but unless you have looked at your line with the proper equipment, there is no way to know for sure.

Hope it helps.
Yes there would dude. I really think its funny cause you do sound like you know what your talking about but you should know if it were an equipment or physical malfunction, I would be effected all the time. I also know how to look on my home router for packet loss. A simple wireshark test would tell me if I was dropping packets. So would a detailed tracert.

To just assume its a physical problem (osi model i know start at layer 1) because I had a problem with one service is pretty close minded and not very good troubleshooting IMO.

In short, It was definitely them.

Interesting convos by all the tech people here

Good stuff

30 people < hundreds who didn't have issues.

of the 30, how many had other programs running? had others leeching their bandwidth? had routers that couldn't sustain the bandwidth (let alone the modem/bandwidth plan/data centers/etc).

you claimed to be a network tech. and yet, you don't even know how shit works.
There were a lot of people posting about buffering issues

Yes there would dude. I really think its funny cause you do sound like you know what your talking about but you should know if it were an equipment or physical malfunction, I would be effected all the time. I also know how to look on my home router for packet loss. A simple wireshark test would tell me if I was dropping packets. So would a detailed tracert.

To just assume its a physical problem (osi model i know start at layer 1) because I had a problem with one service is pretty close minded and not very good troubleshooting IMO.

In short, It was definitely them.

Couldn't be more wrong in assuming that it would effected all the time.

The most difficult fixes in the field are what are referred to as intermittents. These can be caused by a variety of things, wind, rain, snow, heat etc.

A damaged line will short or ground out in the morning moisture in the summer, and by mid day, it's gone as soon as the dew evaporates and the ground dries out. Same with rain, and snow, and heat.

You can have a line rubbed through by a tree branch or chewed by a squirrel that works just great when it's hot outside, but goes open as soon as it cools and the damaged wire pulls apart slightly due to the colder weather. Not open enough to cause complete loss of service, but open enough to cause buffering, resyncing etc.

As for assumptions, show me where I said it was definitely a physical issue ???

I said it could be, as I've only seen it every single day of my life for the past 15 years or so. I've done about 20,000 jobs over my career, so yes, I do know a bit about what I'm talking about.

What is truly funny is calling me out on stuff you don't agree with, yet insisting you would "always be effected", which is absolutely, completely and totally false.

How many broadband or DSL/fibre optic based services have you fixed in the last 15 years ?

Back