Day one Jiu Jitsu in use...

HardEight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Did anyone else see this?
This show is one of my guilty pleasures. I can tell a lot of it is hammed up for the cameras but this fight looked pretty damn real.

I wondered how many people that saw it were as excited as I was to see the very first standing headlock escape to knee on belly technique that I was taught when I first started BJJ.

I just kept thinking, "Damn that was beautiful.."

Knocked The F**k Out! on truTV.com Video

Yeah that looks real. F'ng sweet lol That was an early stoppage in my opinion.

YouMad.jpg

I don't know what show this is but that big piece of shit got his ass handed to him. The smaller guy also has a real good chin.

and what a stupid bitch at the end saying "baby, baby". If your "baby" has no problem sucker punching a guy half his size he won't think twice about beating you up when the day will come.

Wow, very nice punches from up top too.

There's actually a pretty legit self defense system that trains you to block the sucker punch. It's not actually a fighting style, just a transition to whatever you work best with, ex. bjj, muay thai, boxing, etc.

YouTube - S.P.E.A.R. System Applications for Personal Defense

Something interesting while we're on the subject :)

First I've heard of this... and although I am not very much into self defense (I train BJJ), I find this guy very interesting. I've been looking through some of his stuff and he got me pretty interested. Check out these videos I found in another thread:

There's actually a pretty legit self defense system that trains you to block the sucker punch. It's not actually a fighting style, just a transition to whatever you work best with, ex. bjj, muay thai, boxing, etc.

YouTube - S.P.E.A.R. System Applications for Personal Defense

Something interesting while we're on the subject :)

Not everyone is into all the marketing around that system, but the principles it is based on are very sound.

It's along the same lines as what I was discussing in the self defense thread here. There is really no time to think in a real situation. You just react.

Skilled martial artists spend a lot of time honing the right reactions, but it takes a lot of practice to get that into your muscle memory to the point where it can actually be used under pressure. This system tries to get a little headstart on that by working off reactions that are already human nature, but I still think it takes a good bit of practice before it can actually be used.

The key is to practice until you start naturally reacting in the proper way instead of naturally freezing up.

nice!! fuckin pwnt.

looks like day one wrestling too me :p

does that guy train bjj? it didn't necessarily seem to be bjj, escaping a headlock and putting a knee on belly there. it was a nice smashing though for sure.

does that guy train bjj? it didn't necessarily seem to be bjj, escaping a headlock and putting a knee on belly there. it was a nice smashing though for sure.

I don't know if the small guy trains, but the big guy is supposedly a kickboxing champ. Although internet searches turn up zilch.
That was actually one of the first BJJ techniques I was taught. Granted it was in a law enforcement academy, but it is old school Helio type stuff. Helio''s basics weren't entirely ground focused. The majority was for self defense. From what I understand that is how he introduced his students to the art.

Back