Davis used to be/is a Rousey hater

Olympic medalist that finished everyone put in front of her. With the quickness! That's what got her the shot. She finished fights in impressive fashion with an arm bar that all her opponents knew was coming, and they still couldn't stop it.

Her charisma helped alot as well.

The fact that you still mention that as part of the reason why she got such a quick title shot actually supports the point I made in my last post. She didn't earn a shot at a Wmma title strictly based off of her wmma career- her Olympic achievements helped her and they shouldn't have. The olympics is not mma.

The fact that you still mention that as part of the reason why she got such a quick title shot actually supports the point I made in my last post. She didn't earn a shot at a Wmma title strictly based off of her wmma career- her Olympic achievements helped her and they shouldn't have. The olympics is not mma.

It seems that you have missed the point of my post. Let's try this again. You are the one that stated she got the shot based off of her Olympic achievements. While I do agree with that in some part, that's not the only reason. Do you think if Rousey had won all of her fights by a boring decision she would've got the title shot? No, she got the title shot because she was a finisher. It was all those armbars, which is part of her MMA career.

The Olympic medal was just the icing on the cake.

This is an article from 2011 when Davis felt like Ronda was just a hyped up Olympic medalist and not worthy of a title shot against Tate. Apparently, like Tate, Davis didn't feel Ronda was "worthy".

It seems like there is a love/hate situation where fighters like Kaufman, Tate and Davis love the attention Ronda brings to wmma but don't like the methods she uses to bring that attention (I suppose they are talking about the trash talk that she always seems to back up) or how early in her career she rose straight to the top, bypassing them.

Now after destroying Tate twice and every other challenger she's faced, I wonder if Davis thinks differently. I doubt it though. I think she feels like her BJJ is somehow going to negate everything Ronda does and is superior to judo. One thing she's probably not training right now is her stand up defense which was exposed by Eye as being horrible. A fight I thought Davis lost, by the way.

I like Davis but in hindsight she really looks like a hater as well as Tate.

Sorry it's bleacher report lol but hey, it's got quotes so I'm rolling with it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/963572-strikeforces-alexis-davis-on-ronda-rousey-vs-miesha-tate-this-is-mma-not-judo

Straight up Rousey snatchhugger

Won't matter when Ronda makes her tap out and quit.

As much as Ronda has brought attention to WMMA, her success kind of undermines the validity of the division up to the point that she arrived.

Davis, Tate, and all those other fighters didn't want to be the second-stringers that they've kind of been proven to be. I like WMMA but there's a severe dearth of talent.

Had Tate won, a vet who has been in there with a load of names, it would've proven that experience in the division was important and trumps raw talent, but Ronda ripped her apart instead, garnerning much attention but also kind of shitting on the value of the championship until that moment.

Olympic medalist that finished everyone put in front of her. With the quickness! That's what got her the shot. She finished fights in impressive fashion with an arm bar that all her opponents knew was coming, and they still couldn't stop it.

Her charisma helped alot as well.

Were you crying when you typed this?

He's a Rousey fan haha

@ TS

Lol man, I expected better from you.Davis was just stating the obvious

EDIT : What was the second quote supposed to mean ? Davis is a Tate fan and a Rousey hater ?

The only thing that was obvious to me and almost everyone else, was that Ronda was going to steamroll Miesha.

haha, i thought this thread was about phil davis.

that quote is from '11 and Rousey won a medal in 08. That's fairly rare in MMA, usually they keep competing longer before making the switch.

and that's why Olympians are underrated, since the norm is them being way, way past their physical peak when they enter MMA, so the ones that aren't get the same treatment.

It's also gross that a sporting event with history & unity where the truly best athletes in those sports are gets so much shit from fight fans. It's completely different in a casual conversation in public.

As much as Ronda has brought attention to WMMA, her success kind of undermines the validity of the division up to the point that she arrived.

Davis, Tate, and all those other fighters didn't want to be the second-stringers that they've kind of been proven to be. I like WMMA but there's a severe dearth of talent.

Had Tate won, a vet who has been in there with a load of names, it would've proven that experience in the division was important and trumps raw talent, but Ronda ripped her apart instead, garnerning much attention but also kind of shitting on the value of the championship until that moment.

What kind of Twilight Zone logic is this?!

I guess that means our beloved LHW division 5 years ago was actually a barren wasteland devoid of any talents before Jones showed up and bulldoze over everyone, therefore the value of all the prior Champions don't mean jacksquat.

That's revisionist grafitti you're spraypainting over the wall of MMA history.

Last edited:

She got the title shot because everyone who watched her fights up until that point KNEW she was the best and KNEW she was going to rip Tate's arm off if given the chance. Ronda hadn't even taken on the heel persona at that point.

If you're an OG like Alexis Davis who competed in WMMA when there was no money in it and nobody cared, you're gonna have some resentment toward the wunderkind who bursts onto the scene and quickly becomes famous.

It's also gross that a sporting event with history & unity where the truly best athletes in those sports are gets so much shit from fight fans. It's completely different in a casual conversation in public.

it's the anonymity of the internet. Makes heroes out of real life zeros.

Am I the only one that immediately thought this was Phil Davis saying these things? Lol.. I forgot all about Alexis Davis fighting Ronda.

What kind of Twilight Zone logic is this?!

I guess that means our beloved LHW division 5 years ago was actually a barren wasteland devoid of any talents before Jones showed up and bulldoze over everyone, therefore the value of all the prior Champions don't mean jacksquat.

That's revisionist grafitti you're spraypainting over the wall of MMA history.

I love when people come back with crazy hyperbolic statements and no reading comprehension, I'm merely stating what Tate and Davis's viewpoints were. They didn't want Ronda to get a shot (and potentially win) because she was a neophyte in a division in which they were vets. I suppose I'm also saying the women's division wasn't/isn't the strongest, if you want to take offense to that.

I'm pretty sure Shogun and the older members of the LHW division weren't happy to lose to Jones either, they simply didn't voice it in the same way (and Jones wasn't quite as inexperienced in the sport when he took the title either).

Back