Davis used to be/is a Rousey hater

chaoticmayhem

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
This is an article from 2011 when Davis felt like Ronda was just a hyped up Olympic medalist and not worthy of a title shot against Tate. Apparently, like Tate, Davis didn't feel Ronda was "worthy".

It seems like there is a love/hate situation where fighters like Kaufman, Tate and Davis love the attention Ronda brings to wmma but don't like the methods she uses to bring that attention (I suppose they are talking about the trash talk that she always seems to back up) or how early in her career she rose straight to the top, bypassing them.

Now after destroying Tate twice and every other challenger she's faced, I wonder if Davis thinks differently. I doubt it though. I think she feels like her BJJ is somehow going to negate everything Ronda does and is superior to judo. One thing she's probably not training right now is her stand up defense which was exposed by Eye as being horrible. A fight I thought Davis lost, by the way.

I like Davis but in hindsight she really looks like a hater as well as Tate.

Sorry it's bleacher report lol but hey, it's got quotes so I'm rolling with it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/963572-strikeforces-alexis-davis-on-ronda-rousey-vs-miesha-tate-this-is-mma-not-judo

Now after destroying Tate twice and every other challenger she's faced, I wonder if Davis thinks differently. I doubt it though. I think she feels like her BJJ is somehow going to negate everything Ronda does and is superior to judo. One thing she's probably not training right now is her stand up defense which was exposed by Eye as being horrible. A fight I thought Davis lost, by the way.

TS sounds like a Davis hater.

TS is a
Why-You-Shouldnt-White-Knight-Girls-for-Dates-picture-by-masonicleaderdotcom.jpg

TS sounds like a Davis hater.

He's a Rousey fan haha

@ TS

Lol man, I expected better from you.Davis was just stating the obvious

EDIT : What was the second quote supposed to mean ? Davis is a Tate fan and a Rousey hater ?

This is an old interview. Everyone thought Ronda`s title shot after four pro fights was too soon. True, Ronda more than lived up to the hype. But, at that time everyone was saying the same thing as Davis. You can`t condemn her today for saying these things then. The idea that a person`s opinion can`t change or evolve (with exposure to more evidence/learning/study) is a stance usually adopted by adolescents (i.e. "But you said....!"). I`m sure (if you interviewed Davis now) she has changed her opinion of Rousey completely. There`s no way she is taking Ronda lightly.

Jarl

He's a Rousey fan haha

@ TS

Lol man, I expected better from you.Davis was just stating the obvious

EDIT : What was the second quote supposed to mean ? Davis is a Tate fan and a Rousey hater ?

So Rousey didn't deserve to fight Miesha?

This is an article from 2011 when Davis felt like Ronda was just a hyped up Olympic medalist and not worthy of a title shot against Tate. Apparently, like Tate, Davis didn't feel Ronda was "worthy".

It seems like there is a love/hate situation where fighters like Kaufman, Tate and Davis love the attention Ronda brings to wmma but don't like the methods she uses to bring that attention (I suppose they are talking about the trash talk that she always seems to back up) or how early in her career she rose straight to the top, bypassing them.

I like Davis but in hindsight she really looks like a hater as well as Tate.

Sorry it's bleacher report lol but hey, it's got quotes so I'm rolling with it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/963572-strikeforces-alexis-davis-on-ronda-rousey-vs-miesha-tate-this-is-mma-not-judo
Posting a thread containing negative comments about Rousey from another woman? Now you have done it!

You must hate Davis and want to have babies with Ronda and ironically the dozens of comments I'm sure to come your way don't somehow use the same criteria for those defending Davis. Apparently when its someone else they are a hater or a nut swinger. When its the posters themselves, they are simply giving their opinion.

I would chalk it up to an educated guess that more posters than not probably have no clue how to interact with a woman and overcompensate during any conversation regarding one but this exact same hypocrisy occurs when talking about male fighters.

It actually was a legit thread. A woman who is about to fight the now dominant champion Rousey was one among many who felt she had been way too hyped and didn't have the skills to back up her ranking. It would be interesting to know how they view the situation now and whether they would admit they were wrong or feel regardless of talent that Ronda was able to talk her way to a quicker path to a title shot than she deserves. But this is Sherdog and it involves a woman, a champ, and someone outspoken. Let the insanity begin:)

I realize sherdog is the toilet bowl of Ronda hating so yall say what you want but I can remember all the hate Ronda was getting back then from Tate and Kaufman - 2 fighters who thought she was just a hyped up Olympic medalist who's skills won't translate to mma. 2 fighters she destroyed easily shortly thereafter.

I never knew Davis felt the same way but I like it because a motivated Ronda is scary.

EDIT: I like Davis

Davis's striking wasn't exposed by Eye. She ate up Eye with leg kicks. And I'm pretty sure Davis respects Rousey's judo and is preparing for it the best she can.

The Rousey fans are so extreme.

Whatever happened to Flexweave crying about UFC trying to destroy her image via TUF?

i believe davis made those comments because rousey had fewer fights than others and rousey was able to get a title fight against tate. i doubt davis feels the same way about rousey now because it would be foolish of her to do so after the way rousey completely destroyed tate's left arm when they fought in strikeforce.

i cringe when i watch the way rousey armbarred tate's left arm in the direction that a human arm was never meant to rotate. the arm muscles and tendons that ripped and tore on tate's left arm as the result of rousey's armbar was gruesome.

Pretty sure Phil wasn't the only person who hated on her.

Yep! You're rignt. Ronda would never stand a chance!

Being able to win a title, and deserving a shot at the title are two different things. There are fighters out there who could probably beat the champs in their division, but they haven't earned that shot yet. Just because Rhonda has done well and won her fights, doesn't mean that she earned her title shot after only 4 mma fights - her hype from the olympics helped her get that shot. it was not just her wmma record.

All of that doesn't matter now though because she has since proven herself time and time again.

Last edited:
Being able to win a title, and deserving a shot at the title are two different things. There are fighters out there who could probably beat the champs in their division, but they haven't earned that shot yet. Just because Rhonda has done well and won her fights, doesn't mean that she earned her title shot after only 4 mma fights - her hype from the olympics helped her get that shot. it was not just her wmma record.

All of that doesn't matter now though because she has since proven herself time and time again.

Olympic medalist that finished everyone put in front of her. With the quickness! That's what got her the shot. She finished fights in impressive fashion with an arm bar that all her opponents knew was coming, and they still couldn't stop it.

Her charisma helped alot as well.

Somebody should forward this piece to Rousey's camp. That oughta motivate her to crank that arm JUST a bit harder!

Back