Davis Gifford fight outrage is bizarre

Gifford told his corner man that he felt terrible. Once you hear that you should be obligated to stop the fight. I blame his corner if anything.

Seen the fight. The ref did absolutely nothing wrong. There was no clear moment to stop the fight other than at the very end of the first round. The corner was full of fucking idiots and they should have stopped the fight after the second or thrown in the towel in the third round. It was clear in the second that Giffor had nothing in his punches anymore. It was like he was fighting under water.

I haven’t seen anyone really touch on the point when Bisping was giving Davis a chance to show compassion towards his Ktfo’d opponent Gifford, David basically said : “no, he kept coming forward, thanks for letting me almost end his life ref!”
Just thought that was insult to injury. That whole fight was fucked up and still disturbs me, can’t believe his dad let him almost die.

Did he say that there was a point at the end of the first that the fight could have been stopped but he thought it was good call by the ref to keep the fight going. The ref was right because Gifford fought almost two more rounds after that.

The corner was full of fucking morons.

Gifford told his corner man that he felt terrible. Once you hear that you should be obligated to stop the fight. I blame his corner if anything.

Not only that but you clearly saw in the second that he had nothing left. He threw arm punches like he was fighting under water.

Also, the people who were outraged by this fight would have a goddamn anyerisym if they ever watched Sakuraba/Smirnovas.

That fight was terrible and more of a loss than anything for Sakuraba given the brain cells he surely lost.

I didnt watch the fight, but it seems crazy to lay all the blame on the ref in situations like these. The corner should be protecting their fighters long term safety and if they are getting beat bell to bell for 2 rounds throwing in the towel should be more common. imo.

It was a prolonged beating, but Gifford was coming forward and making a fight of it till midway through the 3rd where he ran out of gas. It shouldn't have been called before that, but there were a couple instances after about 2:00 of the last round where it could've and should've been called.

This was absolutely NOTHING compared to some of the late stoppages we've seen over the years, mind you. Honestly nothing. Bisping just decided to spend about 10 minutes squawking about it on-air with Wittman intermittently chiming in with his two bits, but this was in no way, shape, or form the travesty many (who I can only assume haven't actually seen the fight) feel it to be.

I thought the fight was pretty bad to be honest. I think a lot of people in this thread are downplaying just how hard Gifford was getting hit. It wasn’t just that he was taking an accumulation of damage. He was taking shots that would have KOed fighters with average chins. The only reason the fight went as long as it did was due to Gifford’s insane ability to absorb punishment. Personally, I think it should have been called in between the second and third rounds.

When have you ever seen a ref step in and stop a fight because a fight was one sided, even though the fighter wasn't out on his feet and was still defending himself? If you think a new precedent or standard for stopping a fight should be adopted then that's a conversation we can have, but operating under the current standards the ref did absolutely nothing wrong.
frankie vs bj 3 was a mercy stoppage, no one complained about it though. it was a mismatch on paper before the event and bj mounted zero offense

The outrage is odd because everybody is constantly triggered by fights being “stopped early”

You know there is a middle ground between stopped early and stopped late, right?

If I asked someone to fill my tires and they put in so little that the tires were still flat, I'd be right to be upset. But I think I'd also be right to be upset if they filled the tires with so much air that they burst.

You know there is a middle ground between stopped early and stopped late, right?

If I asked someone to fill my tires and they put in so little that the tires were still flat, I'd be right to be upset. But I think I'd also be right to be upset if they filled the tires with so much air that they burst.
I’ll keep that in mind the next time the ref has to fill someone’s tires with air.

I think its more on the corner than the ref.. if it were boximg towel gets thrown at the end of the second

lol some mma fans are fucking nutty.

the ref and the corner both let that dude down. that would have been stopped in any high level boxing or kickboxing promotion.

I do put more blame on the corner tho. They sent him back out there every time even after he said he felt terrible. One of the corner dudes was his dad too. I can't fathom that. Imagine sending your son out there for round 3 to happen. what a cruel idiot. like what did you think he was going to win? was it worth the chance? jesus.

there weren't a lot of "oh the ref needs to step in at this moment" stoppage points, but there were clear moments where you could stop it just from accumulated damage with no return offense/defense whatsoever. MMA needs more stoppages like that, but it does seem to be getting better about it. thats why the commission was pissed, this guy failed to do that. that is what being a referee is supposed to be about. anyone with a brain can say "hey this guy isn't concious anymore guess the fight is over" but a ref is supposed to be able to read the fight and see this guy taking a ton of punishment with 0 answers to fight back or defend himself and that is when you stop it.

Last edited:
Back