Davis Gifford fight outrage is bizarre

Appeal to authority is a last resort when you're getting schooled, and the fact that you are all of those things just makes it all the more embarrassing for you. You really have no business being involved with any AC if you think that ref was negligent and deserved to be fired.

This isn't a debate. You've already been schooled. Accept it & move on. I'm done wasting my valuable time on you.

Bisping's commentary was a bit overblown to. If he did not whine about the ref, half the outrage would not have happened. I do believe his words swayed public opinion a little bit. Which is a bit extreme. It was a miss match but the guy was game. I to thought this was a strange situation. I wrote it off as Bisping pretty much starting a big sheep witch hunt. It did not take long for the usual drama llama suspects tweets to start rolling out after they heard the commentary.

People get beat down in this sport every weekend. It happens. He was getting rocked but still wanted some more. He was not knocked out on his feet wobbling around, He was defending and moving forward. He was just outclassed like many others. They are adults. They all know the consequences when they sign the contract. Ref could have stopped it but he did not.

Bisping's commentary was a bit overblown to. If he did not whine about the ref, half the outrage would not have happened. I do believe his words swayed public opinion a little bit. Which is a bit extreme. It was a miss match but the guy was game. I to thought this was a strange situation. I wrote it off as Bisping pretty much starting a big sheep witch hunt. It did not take long for the usual drama llama suspects tweets to start rolling out after they heard the commentary.

People get beat down in this sport every weekend. It happens. He was getting rocked but still wanted some more. He was not knocked out on his feet wobbling around, He was defending and moving forward. He was just outclassed like many others. They are adults. They all know the consequences when they sign the contract. Ref could have stopped it but he did not.

I wouldn't say it was any kind of unique incompetence and again I do think the UFC has always had a dedancy to look to scapegoat officals whenever something controversial happens.

It was one aspect of the Pride situation I preffered, things like garneted fighter pay and medicals are definite improvements today BUT one big advantage of that era was the buck stopped with the promoter. If a decision from a ref/judge was bad then fans and the media knew who to blame and I suspect this is what kept them honest most of the time.

Today though you have this situation where the AC's are talked up as totally independent officals, anything negative can be pinned on them but its rarely mentioned that the UFC does obviously have massive weight with them and indeed on the culture of the sport as a whole.

I mean if we had an official statement made saying that throwing in the towel would not be viewed as a negative anymore from the UFC that would have BIG impact but the reality is IMHO they don't want to do that. Instead we have the pleasant incident put down to one off incompetence and most likely nothing changes.

Thing is , it is the fighters who dont want their corner to throw in the towel and I can relate to that. There is absolutely No loyalty from UFCs side and you have trained for years to make it to the UFC. If there is even a 1% chance that you might win they will want to continue so as a corner you have to be 100% certain ita over or you might have killed His career. Very difficult to judge in seconds.

I didn't watch the fights live but I was really curious to watch the Davis Grifford fight after reading that the ref had actually been pulled from the next fight he was supposed to ref and reading all the outrage about the reffing in this fight from fighters,media and former refs. I thought holy shit this must be brutal, the ref must've let Davis damn near kill this guy and wail on Gifford while Gifford wasn't defending himself. When the fight ended I sat staring at my screen absolutely dumbfounded, wondering if perhaps I had suffered a mini seizure during the fight which caused me to miss the part that caused all the outrage. Outside of that, the only rational explanation I can come up with is that people are being influenced by Bispings commentary, the same guy who shamed another fighter for retiring because they were concerned about their long term health and didnt want to take any more damage.

A fight being one sided isnt a criteria for a fight being stopped. I challenge anyone to tell me the exact point in the fight where Davis was lighting Gifford up while Gifford wasn't defending himself and the ref was negligent for not stopping the fight.
Agreed, although the corner probably should have threw in the towel after round 2

nowhere near as bad of a ref fuck up as that one bellator fight like 5 years ago, I think it had pat Curran in it

I thought it was going to be a boring fight so I took our dog for a walk. When I got back my wife said it was a great fight. She was really surprised that the ref got pulled because she didn't see a reason for it.

Yes, it wasn't competitive, but fights aren't really stopped for that. Perhaps it could've been stopped earlier due to lack of intelligent defense, but it's murky.

I think the outrage is indicative of the major demographic shift that WME has caused. You've got tons of very different (ie more sensitive and feminine) people now into MMA the sport and they aren't used to just how brutal fighting can be.

I will say that this outrage is much more justified than the Cachoeira/Shevchenko outrage. <45>

Give me an example of a fight similar to this one where a ref stopped the fight just because the fight was one sided even when the losing fighter was never badly hurt ,close to being stopped or stopped defending themselves.
Tbh I can't think of one.
Although I can think of a few beat downs that were actually much worse!

That doesn't make it right though. MMA needs a cultural shift. The days of Just Bleed are long, looong gone.

Rule book needs to change. When a guy/gal is just plodding forward or taking a ton of unanswered shots ref needs to step in. Some of these fighters are way too tough for their own good. They never know when they are beaten.

The fight was a mismatch that never should have been made. Gifford is a Bellator prelim quality fighter from a no name gym in Arkansas without a single notable victory on his fairly long resume. I'm not sure why he's even in the UFC.

Here's a comment from him after the fight...

"I’m never been done that way either Mike Davis was the better man last night and I tried to give him all the fight I had in me till I couldn’t no more exactly how Jesus took a lashing and got nailed to the cross if he would of gave up on us we would all go into the lake of fire!"

His corner (father) let him down. Yeah, it was definitely on him first and foremost. But the ref needs to look out for the fighter when that happens, and he didn't.

10:58 AM - Oct 13, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

It's more so annoying because everyone calling it a mismatch are taking away from Mike's win that he took on a couple days notice, a weight class above.

I didn't watch the fights live but I was really curious to watch the Davis Grifford fight after reading that the ref had actually been pulled from the next fight he was supposed to ref and reading all the outrage about the reffing in this fight from fighters,media and former refs. I thought holy shit this must be brutal, the ref must've let Davis damn near kill this guy and wail on Gifford while Gifford wasn't defending himself. When the fight ended I sat staring at my screen absolutely dumbfounded, wondering if perhaps I had suffered a mini seizure during the fight which caused me to miss the part that caused all the outrage. Outside of that, the only rational explanation I can come up with is that people are being influenced by Bispings commentary, the same guy who shamed another fighter for retiring because they were concerned about their long term health and didnt want to take any more damage.

A fight being one sided isnt a criteria for a fight being stopped. I challenge anyone to tell me the exact point in the fight where Davis was lighting Gifford up while Gifford wasn't defending himself and the ref was negligent for not stopping the fight.
My thoughts exactly other than at the 1 minute mark of round 3, he probably should have called it, HOWEVER, when Gifford's cornermen are asking if he can hear them and he literally doesn't respond while they say this 4......4 TIMES! They should have called the fight right there.

To me, his cornermen are ridiculous and should have known he was not there in the fight between rounds. He wasn't coherent at all.

I haven’t seen anyone really touch on the point when Bisping was giving Davis a chance to show compassion towards his Ktfo’d opponent Gifford, David basically said : “no, he kept coming forward, thanks for letting me almost end his life ref!”
Just thought that was insult to injury. That whole fight was fucked up and still disturbs me, can’t believe his dad let him almost die.

First fight I have ever watched that got me really worried for the fighter's life. No, not his health or integrity, HIS LIFE!!
I was waiting for news about him during and right after the event.

Not his father's boy, I guess.

The outrage is odd because everybody is constantly triggered by fights being “stopped early”

Back