Davis Gifford fight outrage is bizarre

There were several points in which the referee could have stopped that mismatch in the second & third rounds. Gifford took far too much punishment in that fight & there was no need for him to be face-planted before the ref called it. The referee, the commission, the UFC & most of all Gifford's corner ( not to mention the fighter himself ) are very fortunate that they didn't have occur what took place in a boxing match in Chicago at roughly the same time when Patrick Day was knocked out. He lapsed into a coma & required emergency brain surgery for the injuries he suffered. He remains in critical condition as I write this.
Do you enjoy the UFC & MMA? Because if you really do you'll be thankful that the same thing didn't happen to Gifford. Because an injury like Day's or a death to a fighter would seriously damage the sport in the public's eye & once again bring out the politicians looking to ban something.
When? Tell me the exact moment when Gifford was badly hurt and not defending himself.

Is a mismatch or a fight being one sided part of the criteria for stopping a fight? In that case Valentina vs Eye shouldve been stopped the second the fight started, everyone knew what was going to happen.

That fight showed the absolute lack of depth in WMMA. Mismatches in title fights are slightly different. If you have done what it takes to get to the title, in spite of the lack of depth in the division, but if you have won the fights you had to, and there is no one else, then you get the fight and deal with the hospital bill.

But to have lower level guys fight other lower level guys .... there should be an idea if the fight should happen. The fact that it did and resulted in a one sided beatdown means one of them will fight better guys, the other will be fighting at a significantly lower level in future

When have you ever seen a ref step in and stop a fight because a fight was one sided, even though the fighter wasn't out on his feet and was still defending himself? If you think a new precedent or standard for stopping a fight should be adopted then that's a conversation we can have, but operating under the current standards the ref did absolutely nothing wrong.
He was hardly defending himself. He was a GD zombie. And what fight and defense was there, Davis had an obvious speed and power advantage... And it kept getting worse. And I'm not just blaming the ref, but his corner too.

Rousey vs Nunes
Marquardt vs Kampmann
Velasquez vs Rothwell

Or ask yourself: What are the odds Gifford would pull out the victory in the 3rd? Was it worth those odds?

The corner is the one who should stop it.

Honestly did the same thing, thought that the guy must have been beaten like CB Dollaway then told to stand up and dragged to his corner btween rounds, and was expecting a broken mess. Dude wasn't that hurt after the whole fight just outclassed. I'd even say Gifford landed his best shots in the 3rd.

Hell I think Michelle and kron both took worse damage while being almost as equally outclassed and no one gives a fuck. I sure I've seen a 100 other worse beating too that we just say of that guys tuff fighting till the end.

Kron is a victim of his family name. Anyone else with his skillset would be on Contender Series and told to go and work on his skillset by Dana.

Michelle is a glaring example of the lack of competition in WMMA in the UFC.

Waterson is a good fighter. But never has she been close to the level of the girls above her in the rankings. She's not come close to beating a top 5 fighter and wont. She's just not good enough.

It doesn't matter that she can do a little dance at the start of round 5 covered in blood showing how tough she is... She can dance and smile at workouts with the kid. She's extremely likeable and quite easy on the eyes...
She can beat PVZ....But she was never in the same league as JJ.

But this fight was more about seeing if JJ still has it, than it was to move Waterson up the rankings. In many ways, this was a far greater mismatch. She was absolutely sent out there to take whatever beating JJ could put on her. To make sure JJ could still make weight. I don't think anyone would say seriously that Waterson is a threat to a belt and that this was a title eliminator.

Rose needs to shit or get off the pot as well.

Last edited:
He was hardly defending himself. He was a GD zombie. And what fight and defense was there, Davis had an obvious speed and power advantage... And it kept getting worse. And I'm not just blaming the ref, but his corner too.

Rousey vs Nunes
Marquardt vs Kampmann
Velasquez vs Rothwell

Or ask yourself: What are the odds Gifford would pull out the victory in the 3rd? Was it worth those odds?
That's a ridiculous exaggeration just to try and justify your outrage. He never looked like he was out on his feet or not all there, he continued to fight and move forward the entire time.

For all you people continuing to make this point about the fight being one sided POINT ME TO THE SECTION OF THE RULE BOOK THAT STATES A REF SHOULD STOP A FIGHT IF THEY THINK ONE OF THE FIGHTERS HAS LITTLE CHANCE OF WINNING THE FIGHT, EVEN IF THE FIGHTER IS STILL ALL THERE AND CONTINUES TO DEFEND THEMSELVES.

poor kids chin is done. he aint gonna recover from that.

its on his corner more than the ref IMO.

reffs have definitely fucked up WAY harder than this and let fighters get closer to death and didn't receive quite as much backlash.

Also, the people who were outraged by this fight would have a goddamn anyerisym if they ever watched Sakuraba/Smirnovas.

Just Bleed Gods were happy that day.

Ref was doing fine. Guy was standing and defending, walking forward and putting out offense.
His corner or the promotion who booked that fight are more to blame.

When? Tell me the exact moment when Gifford was badly hurt and not defending himself.
I'm not going to hold your hand through another viewing of the fight, son.
Like I said, there were several instances after Gifford took a heavy blow or series of blows when the ref could have stopped it. I've seen it done on other less severe occasions.

That's a ridiculous exaggeration just to try and justify your outrage. He never looked like he was out on his feet or not all there, he continued to fight and move forward the entire time.

For all you people continuing to make this point about the fight being one sided POINT ME TO THE SECTION OF THE RULE BOOK THAT STATES A REF SHOULD STOP A FIGHT IF THEY THINK ONE OF THE FIGHTERS HAS LITTLE CHANCE OF WINNING THE FIGHT, EVEN IF THE FIGHTER IS STILL ALL THERE AND CONTINUES TO DEFEND THEMSELVES.
The referee is there to enforce the rules but more importantly, he's there to protect the fighters & if at any point during the contest he feels that one of them has absorbed too many clean blows (whether he's trying to defend himself or not ) he can stop the fight. If you don't believe me call up your local SAC & have them explain the rules to you.

I'm not going to hold your hand through another viewing of the fight, son.
Like I said, there were several instances after Gifford took a heavy blow or series of blows when the ref could have stopped it. I've seen it done on other less severe occasions.
I just watched the fight and can tell you with certainty that there were no instances when Gifford was badly hurt and not defending himself. Every time he got hit hard he either ate the strikes and kept coming forward or he was wobbled briefly but kept defending himself and recovered quickly. The reason you won't answer the question is because you know you can't.

The referee is there to enforce the rules but more importantly, he's there to protect the fighters & if at any point during the contest he feels that one of them has absorbed too many clean blows (whether he's trying to defend himself or not ) he can stop the fight. If you don't believe me call up your local SAC & have them explain the rules to you.
Give me an example of a fight similar to this one where a ref stopped the fight just because the fight was one sided even when the losing fighter was never badly hurt ,close to being stopped or stopped defending themselves.

Because boxing has some dignity in there amongst all the violence. MMA is a sport for scum, by scum.
Fuck off from MMA forums if you don't want to participate in it except for trashing MMA. A pro boxer from russia recently died from all the damage he took, so you're a big hypocrite.

I just watched the fight and can tell you with certainty that there were no instances when Gifford was badly hurt and not defending himself. Every time he got hit hard he either ate the strikes and kept coming forward or he was wobbled briefly but kept defending himself and recovered quickly. The reason you won't answer the question is because you know you can't.

Oh for Christ's sake, I'm not going to stay up all night wasting my time schooling some greenhorn.
I've spent almost four decades in the fight game as a pro fighter, a cornerman, a coach & a member of the NYSAC among other things. I'm also a lifetime martial artist.
So, yeah, you know more than I do. LOL.

It's his corners responsibility before it's the ref responsibility.

But seeing as they were negligent as well, I'd say yeah, the ref should've stopped it earlier.

On the aftershow Giblert Melendez and Anthony Smith were squarely blaming the ref and saying the corner is there to make the guy fight, not stop him from fighting (or words to that effect).
<{hughesimpress}>

I haven't actually watched the match yet but some ppl said there was no clear moment for the ref to jump in, if that was the case where he was getting the shit beaten out of him but never entered an 'out on his feet' state where the ref would usually jump in, then it absolutely should be the corner who intervene first IMO.

Oh for Christ's sake, I'm not going to stay up all night wasting my time schooling some greenhorn.
I've spent almost four decades in the fight game as a pro fighter, a cornerman, a coach & a member of the NYSAC among other things. I'm also a lifetime martial artist.
So, yeah, you know more than I do. LOL.
Appeal to authority is a last resort when you're getting schooled, and the fact that you are all of those things just makes it all the more embarrassing for you. You really have no business being involved with any AC if you think that ref was negligent and deserved to be fired.

Fuck off from MMA forums if you don't want to participate in it except for trashing MMA. A pro boxer from russia recently died from all the damage he took, so you're a big hypocrite.
I prefer MMA. I too, am scum. And your point is meh. Atleast in boxing it isn't utterly shocking if a corner pulls their fighter or if the ref stops a fight standing.

I prefer MMA. I too, am scum. And your point is meh. Atleast in boxing it isn't utterly shocking if a corner pulls their fighter or if the ref stops a fight standing.
Lol, how long have you been following Boxing for because until recently (last 10 years or so with all the political pressure from the disproportionate amount of fights resulting in a death or coma ) it actually was "utterly shocking" to see that, especially the corner pulling the fighter.

I absolutely love Boxing and have for over 30 years but it was absurd how much punishment a guy would be aloud to take as long as he could put his gloves up and take a couple wobbly steps towards the ref.

Yeah they would stop the fight with a fighter still standing thanks to the ropes holding up his semi conscious body but usually only after he'd been dropped a few times first and managed to just barely get back to there feet before the ref hit 10.

Back