David Tua vs Lennox Lewis

Malik111

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Was David Tua in his prime at that time ?

They fought on the 11.11.2000

Probably towards the end of his absolute peak. I don't care how tough he was, the Ike fight had to take some months off of his prime.

Was this the fight where David Tua just lumbered forward and got hit by jabs the whole night?

Towards the end of his prime. I don't think any version of Tua beats Lennox, apart from a lucky one.

To be fair, I don't really know a whole lot about boxing, but to me, Tua seemed like a great puncher (dat left hook) but Lennox was the far superior boxer. He was strategically and technically several levels above Tua.

This fight was such a joke. Lennox just outboxed him the entire time.

yes it was his prime, it took years before we saw wear and tear on tua's jaw.

he was still in his prime Hasim Rahman out boxed him too

Lewis boxed his balls off. Against Tua and Tyson, two guys who liked to explode right off the bat, Lewis came actually aggressive to start and stifled what his opponents did by clinching. Then he'd settle into his jab, hit, and hold all night. I liked Tua too. Wasn't that his only title shot??

Talk about a couple of bust fights back to back:

Tyson has that match with Golota that ultimately sucked on 10/20/2000

Then Lewis and Tua had this bore-fest a couple of weeks later on 11/11/2000

Prior to these fights there was a lot of hype going on with Tyson fighting Golota and Lewis fighting Tua..... but it all fizzled away after both stunk.

This was the fight were afterwards Tua was saying he pulled something in his side, disallowing him to fight like he wanted to. But no one cared.

I think Tua was just too small as a heavyweight to be effective against Lewis.

Heights definitely part of the equation.... but Lewis's skill sets him apart.
Remember, right after he lost to Lewis he blasted 6'5 Darnel Nicholsen out of the ring.

Tua had short arms and he was deadly if he could get inside on you with that left. Lewis never let him. I agree it was Lewis' boxing, not just his size, that was the real story of that fight.

Tua's prime was from his title win against Ruiz through to about the time he knocked Rahman out in '98, but it wouldn't have mattered which Tua stepped in with Lewis, Tua was never at that level.

Heights definitely part of the equation.... but Lewis's skill sets him apart.
Remember, right after he lost to Lewis he blasted 6'5 Darnel Nicholsen out of the ring.

No shit I remember that fight. He did blast him out of the ring too. Tua hit hard as a b*t*h

This fight was such a joke. Lennox just outboxed him the entire time.

Lewis has stunk up the joint in a lot of high profile fights. The Tua fight, the 2nd Holyfield fight, the Tyson fight, the 2nd McCall fight, Ray Mercer fight.

These fights just sucked.

Lewis has stunk up the joint in a lot of high profile fights. The Tua fight, the 2nd Holyfield fight, the Tyson fight, the 2nd McCall fight, Ray Mercer fight.

your a fucking idiot

he completely outboxed Tua
the 2nd Holyfield fight was pretty poor, the pair of them both played a part in stinking that fight out
he absolutely destroyed Tyson, really fucking hurt him bad
the 2nd McCall fight, McCall fucking quit and started crying

and the Ray Mercer fight, you have really outshone yourself on this one, it was one of Lewis hardest ever fights and was a really tough fight for both guys, and one i still remember watching live thinking "who the fuck is going to get the win in this one". It was a war of a fight in a really small ring for such big guys. If you think that fight sucked, then you need to go and die

The Mercer fight was damn good, actually. Not Lewis' best performance by a long shot, but a damn good fight.

I was surprised when in 2001 Tua lost by UD agaist Byrd.
And when in 2003 koed in few seconds Michael Moorer injuring his back.
What a shame Tua hadn't faced a Klitschko in 2002/2003 or Briggs in 1997/1999.

Back