David Haye "This will be biggest upset in history"

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by busterwolf, Feb 29, 2016.

1. busterwolf

busterwolf Blue Belt

I love listening to David Haye, we all know he exaggerates stuff. I dont think anything will ever top Tyson/Douglas as biggest upset. With this fight we all know Khan is a better boxer than Canelo, its just the size/chin combination.

2. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

I really think Khan is a tougher fight for Canelo than people think. Khan is chinny, no doubt but its not like Canelo is really a big KO puncher.

3. ironfist05

ironfist05 Silver Belt

I'd say he's a pretty damn good puncher. He's given us some very good KOs. I mean, has anybody stopped Baldomir before?

That said, if Khan fights smart, he's a very tough style matchup for Canelo, who tends to get flat footed and can be a bit slow. TBH, if Khan had routinely shown a willingness to fight intelligently and not shoeshine 30 punch comboes, I'd have bet on him, but he hasn't.

4. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

Baldomir was 75 years old.

I don't think Canelo has great power. I think he's good all around but I don't see exceptional power.

hiphopnazi likes this.
  5. hiphopnazi

hiphopnazi Brown Belt

Be interesting to see Khan's plan for this. Surely he won't be trying to put Canelo away but rather out boxing him and stealing rounds. Leaving Canelo chasing him around and we know he isn't the best at cutting off the ring. I'm still favoring the ginger.

6. BluntTrauma21

BluntTrauma21 Broner Brody / Pulev Posse

Canelo's not a huge puncher but he's definitely got well above average power, definitely enough to put Khan to sleep.with one shot. This fight isn't gonna last very long.

7. BluntTrauma21

Also Dave looks like a homeless person in that vid.

8. nac386

nac386 Gold Belt

I got into a debate on here, I believe with Sinister, about how relevant Canelo's knockout of Baldomir was. I do not think it means a whole lot when you knock out an old man, even if that old man had never been knocked out before. When you get old you do not defend yourself as well, and often cannot take a punch as well either.

But Khan was knocked out by Danny Garcia, who has a relatively average knockout ratio as a 140 pound fighter. So, Canelo obviously has the power to knock Khan dead in there, figuratively speaking.

9. JayElectra

JayElectra Paper Belt Banned

Canelo isn't a massive puncher. By JMW and likely MW standards he's clearly an above average puncher, though. More than that, he's a genuinely good counter puncher with a strong chin and he'll have absolutely no qualms about punching with Amir Khan as he jumps in with his flurries (much like Danny Garcia). Khan will likely come out fast and could very well take a round or two off of Canelo, but Khan isn't a master boxer. He's a guy with decent skills and really fast hands. If he had a better chin and better boxing ability, I'd give him a chance, but as is, I can't see him going past 8.

10. nac386

nac386 Gold Belt

Danny Garcia landed a great shot. But Khan was lighting him up in that fight, and doing damage. Garcia has serious qualms about it, but he had no other option. Garcia cannot box with Khan, so his option was to let Khan get off first and and wing single power shots and hope to connect. This is Garcia after the second round:

[​IMG]

There are many ways to win a boxing match. One of them is to land one huge shot, and that is what Garcia did. But we have to acknowledge that what happened in that fight was just that, Danny landing a huge shot while getting lit up. He was NOT enjoying that fight, and neither was his corner. He was having serious issues in there.

That huge shot does not make his knockout any less legitimate. It was a great win, probably the best of his career. But let's give Khan credit for what he was doing in there.

11. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

I think Garcia is just a guy who will always look like a mediocre fighter, no matter who he beats. I'm not saying he IS a mediocre fighter, I'm saying he just doesn't look special. I think he simply did what he does vs Khan in that fight.

Khan lost to Garcia, sure, but so has everyone else who has fought Garcia and that shot he landed on Khan, frankly, I'm surprised he got up from that at all.

I don't care for Khan at all, but I'll be surprised if Khan vs Canelo is the blow out some people think its going to be.

12. nac386

nac386 Gold Belt

And I know that on here the Garcia vs Khan fight is a loaded subject (just like Garcia vs Matthysse, Pac vs Bradley, etc). I've seen the back and forth about the fight before. I know Garcia was "getting his timing down" and it was only a matter of time. I also know Khan only won 2 rounds. I get it.

But he clearly has a bit of power, because nobody has ever enjoyed those pitty pats. Not Garcia, not Maidana, not Paulie. All tough guys.

13. kensei

kensei Green Belt

I think it's safe to say that Khan will be on his bicycle, trying to box his way to victory. That being said, how do you rate Canelo's ability to cut off the ring?

14. Old Cat

Old Cat Gold Belt

Seano likes this.
  15. Canelo

Canelo Purple Belt

Perfect respone right there.

16. xP

xP Red Belt

I don't see Khan being able to do what Lara couldn't. They're different for sure but most of those differences favor Lara if we're talking about a Canelo fight.

Khan tends to try to punch himself out of bad situations or just shove the other guy away from him. He will do ok when he's allowed to be the outfighter but I think Canelo will counter him once Khan is in a bad position or maybe even in the center of the ring.

17. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

Khan actually throws punches.

I think Khan is better than Lara.

18. BluntTrauma21

Agree, I've always maintained that Khan has underrated power, he's so fast that his speed causes people to overlook the fact that he does have legit pop. Good body puncher when he commits as well. That being said i don't know how his power will translate to 155 and I definitely don't think his chin will do so well against a legit mw like Canelo. I just don't think he can stick to a boxing heavy game plan well enough to survive very long, Canelo's gonna put hands on him at some point and I have a hard time seeing Khan stay awake once that happens.

19. Canelo

Canelo Purple Belt

There's very little evidence of his power at Welterweight and above.

Despite landing hard shots consistently he wasn't able to hurt Algieri or Alexander, as well as a few other fighters who have been hurt by harder punchers.

He had good power at 140 but we're talking about bigger guys now

20. BluntTrauma21

I think you're in the minority there, especially if youre talking about 155lbs.