David Carr: What happened to him?!?!

Footwork333

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just watching this ESPN clip from the NFL 2002 Draft. In the clip, they say David Carr was 6'3 223lbs, which seems legit, BUT then they say he can bench 400lbs and run less than a 4.7 in the 40yd dash, which seems crazy. The part about benching 400lbs seems insane.

Does anyone know more about him?

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZP6pAgFqHU

Thanks!

Houston's O-line happened to him.

He got drilled more than hoes in a brothel.

Houston didn't take care of him. His team ruined him.

He got destroyed by sacks and hits from a line that couldnt protect him.

Google is awesome btw.

Houston was a new team and they got their franchise qb but didn't have offensive help.

They got him a LT with their first pick in the supplemental draft, but Boselli couldn't stay healthy.

Did he win a ring with the Giants?

The Texans OL turned him into a rape victim

Shame, because he could have been a pretty good QB. Dude had a prime Andre, but no protection...

I keep hearing that his OLine was terrible, but I haven't seen a video of this in action. Could someone please show me a video?

Or is there a documentary on Carr I could watch? He seemed like a beast if he could run the 40 so fast and bench 400lbs....

Did he win a ring with the Giants?

iS8GSktFEAoo.jpg

Yes.

Bob McNair: Texans won’t repeat mistakes we made with David Carr

In 2002, the Texans used the first draft pick in franchise history on David Carr, who was beaten up while playing on a bad team and never developed into the kind of player Houston wanted him to be. Now the Texans own the first overall pick again, and owner Bob McNair says his team has learned from its mistakes

McNair also wants to make sure the Texans can provide a young quarterback better protection than the expansion team’s offensive line gave Carr.

“We weren’t able to give Carr the kind of protection we thought he should have,” McNair said. “I don’t put a lot of blame on him.”

Read more:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...wont-repeat-mistakes-we-made-with-david-carr/

1.) Handled poorly by the coaching staff: Should never have started him. He was drafted based on one good season (if I recall correctly). Should have let him develop as an understudy.

2.) Yes, he had a bad offensive line. Compounded by not developing him properly.

3.) Lazy work habits. Basically showed up when he was supposed to and left as soon as practice was over. Never put in the time to learn the pro game like most successful quarterbacks do. He said as much in interviews when he was in Houston. The media asked leading questions like did he stay and do film study with coaches after practice. Answer: No, I have a film room at my house.

4.) Coddled by the coaching staff. When Kubiak came in he had to have his Dad removed from practices. Something the previous staff had let go on for years.

From what I heard and read he didn't have the drive to improve himself, the coaches pampered him (and his family) and the team stunk. Everyone's to blame for this one.

1.) Handled poorly by the coaching staff: Should never have started him. He was drafted based on one good season (if I recall correctly). Should have let him develop as an understudy.

2.) Yes, he had a bad offensive line. Compounded by not developing him properly.

3.) Lazy work habits. Basically showed up when he was supposed to and left as soon as practice was over. Never put in the time to learn the pro game like most successful quarterbacks do. He said as much in interviews when he was in Houston. The media asked leading questions like did he stay and do film study with coaches after practice. Answer: No, I have a film room at my house.

4.) Coddled by the coaching staff. When Kubiak came in he had to have his Dad removed from practices. Something the previous staff had let go on for years.

From what I heard and read he didn't have the drive to improve himself, the coaches pampered him (and his family) and the team stunk. Everyone's to blame for this one.

Some of that may be true but take into account how beat up and how many concussions he had and how he was just trying to survive. Too many plays were broken from the start so I don't know how much studying would help. He did commit harder his last season with the texans and managed to up his completion percentage to a very respectable 68%.

Some of that may be true but take into account how beat up and how many concussions he had and how he was just trying to survive. Too many plays were broken from the start so I don't know how much studying would help. He did commit harder his last season with the texans and managed to up his completion percentage to a very respectable 68%.

As you can tell I'm not a Carr fan. The only reason he tried harder is because he was forced to by the new staff and he knew his cushy ride was over. Kubiak obviously gave up on him after one season so that probably says enough about any possible upside...at that point he was more interested in trucks, hairstyles and wearing gloves on one hand. Turned into more a sideshow than a QB but seemed very content to be a high priced clipboard carrier for several more years.

Carr was the most mismanaged potential star QB I've ever seen. You can't set the record for sacks taken in your rookie year (and then continue to get brutalized for the following years) and expect to develop a healthy feel for the pocket/position.

It's truly sad. He was even more talented than his brother. Considerably, in my opinion.

Back