david avellan rear takedown

David Avellan is a really good guy, who's content is among the best in instructional videos, however this is a common position in Collegiate Wrestling and you rarely ever see this return to the mat used. Against someone who has stand up that is not very versatile it may work, but against a decent wrestler who has good balance I don't think it would work well.

Last edited:
While I am an unbelievably shitty wrestler, I can typically spot shitty wrestling.

This technique belongs in the gracie self defence catalogue.

That’s more of a way to initially off balance someone to set up another takedown than an actual takedown itself. I guess it can work, but definitely have some follow ups ready.

Looks like a waste of time when there are dozens of better options. Even taking off balancing into consideration, why not off balance your opponent with something that could let you avoid follow up techniques all together?

David Avellan is a really good guy, who's content is among the best in instructional videos, however this is a common position in Collegiate Wrestling and you rarely ever see this return to the mat used. Against someone who has stand up that is not very versatile it may work, but against a decent wrestler who has good balance I don't think it would work well.

i agree in wrestling most use mat returns ect but in mma grappling the defense is different as in wrestling guys are tyring not to get pinned so will give up there backs completely

The move is predicated that the guy doesnt have his hips away from you - the first rule of breaking hands and cutting away

I can honestly say watching over 25 years of wrestling, I have never seen this move work like this

I can also honestly say, if someone spent a thousand hours trying to perfect this, they could probably be pretty good with it. In BJJ, this position is pretty rare. Getting decent at something much more basic would be more time efficient, but I am not ruling out that maybe Avellan is pretty good with it, and it could work for others.

hmmm, that was more bizarre than I expected. I'm sure it could work, but just seems odd

No, it doesn't look so good. Just go for a crotch-lift/single leg from this position.

what you guys think of this

Instead of sweeping opponents right leg, sweep his left (with your instep). Much stronger option from here IMHO.

This sort of position (spider?) only really seems to come up in wrestling. Would suggest taniotoshi would be more useful technique to know.

Back