Dave Herman: The police treated me like a dog

Can you tell me the last time when a family was driving their car with their infant, where they were a danger to other people, because their car was not working right?

If your vehicle is not up to code, you're a danger to everyone else on the road, and you're liable for damage you cause. Take a tort law class, hombre.

With an infant in the car, why not go to the next well lit spot with cameras?
Crazy things have happened for decades.
I am amazed that people are defending that a person that has not harmed anyone has to totally apply to stupid rules.
What did he do to harm a person?
His car was messed up, so the "state" has the right to make him his total obedient slave?
Otherwise he suffers?

It's much more simple than that.
In our country, you interact with the police in certain ways. You an argue whether it's right or wrong but that is beside the point.
Every sane adult in our country knows how to deal with the police. Herman knew what he was supposed to do. He was supposed to pull over and wait for instruction. They would have approached his vehicle, asked for license and reg., ran his stuff, and then asked him a few questions. If he was having car trouble, they probably would have even helped him out. I've been helped out by the police more than once after being pulled over. I once had to drive like 150 miles with only one headlight and didn't get a ticket despite being stopped 4 separate times.
Instead, he keeps driving for 3 MILES- waaaaaay to long- and them immediately gets out of the car and confronts them. Police are constantly getting killed by people jumping out of their car and shooting them.
It happens all the time.
Herman knew exactly what was expected of him and deliberately chose not to do it.

If your vehicle is not up to code, you're a danger to everyone else on the road, and you're liable for damage you cause. Take a tort law class, hombre.

Then point it out that that they should get their car lights checked.
Don't go into some berserk mode.

Protect and SERVE not oppress and make trouble

Zero, I still don't follow the rules of the state blindly.

And what rule are you against exactly that relates to this situation?

To not stop when the police tell you?
To get out of the vehicle and confront them?
Or perhaps demand Id from them like you are their eqaul?

The Police officers are not your equal, your just a citizen they are the authority, deal with it.

In our country, you interact with the police in certain ways. You an argue whether it's right or wrong but that is beside the point.
Every sane adult in our country knows how to deal with the police. Herman knew what he was supposed to do. He was supposed to pull over and wait for instruction. They would have approached his vehicle, asked for license and reg., ran his stuff, and then asked him a few questions. If he was having car trouble, they probably would have even helped him out. I've been helped out by the police more than once after being pulled over. I once had to drive like 150 miles with only one headlight and didn't get a ticket despite being stopped 4 separate times.
Instead, he keeps driving for 3 MILES- waaaaaay to long- and them immediately gets out of the car and confronts them. Police are constantly getting killed by people jumping out of their car and shooting them.
It happens all the time.
Herman knew exactly what was expected of him and deliberately chose not to do it.

I'm not going to defend Herman here. I just wish we could expect more from cops than them literally resorting to brutality at the drop of a dime.

Then point it out that that they should get their car light checked.

Clearly you know very little about this incident. Herman evaded them for 3 miles while they were probably trying to do exactly that.

Protect and serve is NOT a responsibility of the police. 'Twould be nice if it was, but it's not. See Warren v. D.C. There you have it. Ergo the police were not in any way derelict in their duties (insert derelict my balls joke here) by not bowing and scraping to help the poor downtrodden Hermans get their personal property up to legal code. Do you want a world where police lord over personal property? Sure seems so. Oh wait, only when it benefits you, right?

Then point it out that that they should get their car lights checked.

It is actually no longer their duty to protect and/or serve.
It is simply to enforce laws.

Not that I agree with it... but it is important for any citizen
who is on the side of liberty to understand when encountering these people.

No, just from a state where I can have problems with a car without being tased.
Was he bothering anyone?

The cops created a problem out of a car problem.
A person was tased.
What was gained?

What was gained is the officers knew they weren't in danger anymore. What world do you live in where it's ok to run for 3 miles from the cops then get out of your car and approach them?

It happens all the time.

Different cultures but it looked really silly to me.
He did not break any serious crime and ended up being tased.
You seem to be going with the minority report.
Judging people as criminals before they have done anything serious.

Philip K. Dick was right.

Yes. Lets all obey to stupid rules that make no sense.
I am amazed how sheepish most of the posters here are.
Why don't you question authority and wonder how stupid some of the rules are?

Luger. why are you trying to get these kids that read these boards needlessly electrocuted? how about you advise some responsible, measured behavior, when interacting with the Police? advise fellow posters to swallow their pride a lil bit ,and actually act like they've been taught some basic manners and impulse control. and 99 times out of a 100 one's traffic interactions with police will be
"here's your warning sir"
"try to watch your speed"
a normal persons response with control over his pride, and emotions that just didn't get a ticket

"will do officer"
"thanks for the break". the officer

"no problem"

"have a good day".

I know that sherdog has been a very anti-cop place lately. but if you follow one simple rule during a police encounter you will NOT end up getting electrocuted, you will NOT end up going to jail(depending on the crime of course) and that is simply be cordial.

What was gained is the officers knew they weren't in danger anymore. What world do you live in where it's ok to run for 3 miles from the cops then get out of your car and approach them?

Seems to work much better than your system.
Less crime and so on

I'm not going to defend Herman here. I just wish we could expect more from cops than them literally resorting to brutality at the drop of a dime.

I've never had any trouble whatsoever with the police. I certainly know people that have, and police brutality is of course very real and very serious. Part of what pisses me off about this crap is that it overshadows actual abuse.

Different cultures but it looked really silly to me.
He did not break any serious crime and ended up being tased.
You seem to be going with the minority report.
Judging people as criminals before they have done anything serious.

Philip K. Dick was right.

I'm sure Phillip K. Dick would have pulled over right away.
And stayed in his car.
And not been tased.

Clearly you know very little about this incident. Herman evaded them for 3 miles while they were probably trying to do exactly that.

Ohh no, he drove to a spot where he had neutral cameras and well lit

So by your argument, driving along to a reasonable spot = criminal

I'm sure Phillip K. Dick would have pulled over right away.
And stayed in his car.
And not been tased.

I doubt that, he would have been Jon Jones' out of his mind

I doubt that, he would have been Jon Jones' out of his mind

"The cops want me to stop so I should keep driving for miles and then get out and confront them"

Yeah, you have to be a bit out of your mind to do that.

"The cops want me to stop so I should keep driving for miles and then get out and confront them"

Yeah, you have to be a bit out of your mind to do that.

To drive towards a well lit spot with cameras.
Stepping out as he had an infant in his car - much safer as he was the target to go away from the infant

Back