Social Dave Chapelle is too big to cave to the woke mob.

Rule of thumb is, if a comedian is on stage, whatever at a club or doing a special for a network...then don't take them seriously in whatever they say.

If that same comedian is on something like Oprah, then its more likely to be serious

Edit:
there are exemptions to the rule though, like Michael Richard's outburst.

Yea this is the basic rule I follow.

never heard of this woman. how is she considered a comedian? i thought being funny was a prerequisite for being a comedian.

Practically every late night 'comedian' proves this incorrect.

But at least they have good delivery for their 'jokes.' Watching that Hannah Gasby clip I was wondering if those were actually jokes but the audience was laughing when she stopped talking.

I hope the LGBT community is smart enough to see what he's doing.

Guy is a black icon with a clean record, who everyone outside of the LGBT community loves. Go ahead, cancel him over some jokes. See where it gets you. It's not like he hasn't been framing this little culture war for decades, or anything. Go on, prove his point.

I hope the LGBT community is smart enough to see what he's doing.

Guy is a black icon with a clean record, who everyone outside of the LGBT community loves. Go ahead, cancel him over some jokes. See where it gets you. It's not like he hasn't been framing this little culture war for decades, or anything. Go on, prove his point.

Is it really the LGBT community though?

All I've seen are a handful of look-at-me twitter posts and the occasional 3rd rate opinion piece.

Rule of thumb is, if a comedian is on stage, whatever at a club or doing a special for a network...then don't take them seriously in whatever they say.

If that same comedian is on something like Oprah, then its more likely to be serious

Edit:
there are exemptions to the rule though, like Michael Richard's outburst.

I love Chappelle's bit about Michael Richards (or Kramer as he deliberately called him)

Is it really the LGBT community though?

All I've seen are a handful of look-at-me twitter posts and the occasional 3rd rate opinion piece.

Well, I'm not about to do a worldwide poll on the matter and publish my findings, but it's been enough to get his George Floyd special ripped from distributors and cause a major controversy, which also speaks to his point about the power dynamic of these groups. He's not so subtly telling his people about where they actually stand in this hierarchy. The LGBT community will own it, if Chappelle finds his work being pulled from major outlets. Where they need to be smart, is reigning their idiots in, so this whole thing doesn't blow back on them.

If indeed they do not support the backlash he's facing brought on by a small amount of zealots, they need to make that clear.

So I finally watched the closer. My opinion is I don't think it was that offensive towards LGBTQ people or trans. I don't see any reason why it should be removed from Netflix etc.

However, I also didn't find it funny at all. Sticks and stones was at least funny.. there were hardly any jokes in the closer that made me laugh, at best I chuckled a couple of times but that was it.

One thing I noticed is Chapelle comes across as having a big ego. He starts off saying he's rich and famous and later on in the show he says people might call him The GOAT with an almost straight face. I just couldn't imagine some of the comedians who are talked of being the GOATS ever saying that, carlin, prior or hicks for example.

Anyway, I just think it's a bug fuss over nothing and not very funny either.

Well, I'm not about to do a worldwide poll on the matter and publish my findings, but it's been enough to get his George Floyd special ripped from distributors and cause a major controversy, which also speaks to his point about the power dynamic of these groups.

What distributor? Netflix hasn't done shit. Do you mean the one online special?

The LGBT community will own it, if Chappelle finds his work being pulled from major outlets.

Why do they have to own the tweets of a handful of people? Do I own the tweets of every dumb white person out there?

If indeed they do not support the backlash he's facing brought on by a small amount of zealots, they need to make that clear.

Again, I don't see the obligation for anyone to weigh in on this that doesn't give a shit. And who exactly is obligated here? National Organizations? Private non-profits? To what degree do they need to chime in? Must they refute every fuckwit with an opinion, or just affirmatively assert where their stance is, on an issue they may find utterly unimportant?

I think it would be much smarter to attribute the opinions of the LGBT community, writ large, on what they are actually saying, and imputing nothing if they don't care to discuss what [email protected] has to tweet about it.

Last edited:
What distributor? Netflix hasn't done shit. Do you mean the one online special?

The very special he's talking about in his retort to the controversy. I meant "film festivals" though, so that's my bad. He's getting his George Floyd special pulled from festivals over this nonsense. What does that say to the black community? Black icon, commenting on arguably the biggest cultural moment to affect their community since Rodney King, is being silenced because he made fun of trans people. Not a good look.

Why do they have to own the tweets of a handful of people? Do I own the tweets of every dumb white person out there?

It's by proxy. They don't "have" to own anything. They just will. It's going to be related to them, whether it's fair or not, which is why they should have more and more of their people speaking out against it, if they don't want to own it.

Again, I don't see the obligation for anyone to weigh in on this that doesn't give a shit.

They have no obligation. It's not about obligation. Not every Muslim has to condemn terrorist attacks. Not every Christian has to condemn the church covering up sex crimes. It's wise to do so though, so that you don't seem complicit. Now obviously, this isn't(or shouldn't) be on that same wavelength, but this is the world we live in. What do you think black people will think if one of their icons gets cancelled over making fun of trans people? I don't think it's exactly gonna help build relations up with those groups.

And who exactly is obligated here? National Organizations? Private non-profits?

Again, nobody is obligated. However, yeah, I think it would be smart for their more recognized sectors to chime in, and make it known that it is just a bunch of zealots attacking him, if that is what is going on.

Must they refute every fuckwit with an opinion, or just affirmatively assert where there stance is on an issue they may find utterly unimportant?

Well, your downplaying of this huge controversy and its effects aside, I think if a situation such as this balloons to where it is, and you don't want to be associated with it, it would be wise to speak out against it en masse, so the people know where you stand. That's my whole point about the LGBT community needing to be smart about this.

Last edited:
When you start comparing Dave Chappelle’s situations to Trump’s your argument has jumped the shark.

you said they can silence him, which is not true. Now you’re walking it back, which makes sense. There will always be a platform for Dave’s shows, he’s the biggest draw in comedy for the last few decades.

He can compare them when it's the same AI algo's running across nearly every part of the of the world's known internet deciding what's allowed to roam free... But a ComSci guy telling you that you're manipulated by code will just make you butthurt. Thankfully your ravaged anus is really toughened up by now.

As for that cheesy ex president dude, the only place you find something like the "Trump on paper" doc is nowhere to be found but someplace like Dark Matter which you need high level stuff running to get you there.

"Shrugs" You'll find something meaningless to post though I'm thinking.

The very special he's talking about in his retort to the controversy. I meant "film festivals" though, so that's my bad. He's getting his George Floyd special pulled from festivals over this nonsense. What does that say to the black community? Black icon, commenting on arguably the biggest cultural moment to affect their community since Rodney King, is being silenced because he made fun of trans people. Not a good look.

I'm still not sure what incidents you're talking about. But a handful of independent theaters of film festivals deciding not to screen a documentary of his hardly equates to him being silenced. Are you really having trouble finding Dave Chappelle content? Because you don't need to look too far to find all you could ever want. From the major streaming networks, to late night everything, to nationwide live shows, the guys pretty much everywhere.

You don't think you're exaggerating a bit here?

It's by proxy. They don't "have" to own anything. They just will. It's going to be related to them, whether it's fair or not, which is why they should have more and more of their people speaking out against it, if they don't want to own it.

So they don't have to make a statement, it will just be attributed to them. And is that fair? No. But that's the way because people are going to attribute it to them unfairly.

How the fuck is this logical to you? You are the only one trying to attribute this position to the LGBT community at large. And you seem to acknowledge that this is unfair. So why don't you just argue against attributing this position to them, instead of just throwing up your arms an insisting it can't be avoided?

They have no obligation. It's not about obligation. Not every Muslim has to condemn terrorist attacks. Not every Christian has to condemn the church covering up sex crimes. It's wise to do so though, so that you don't seem complicit.

Only if we live in a world with enough people like you who will foolishly equate a no-comment, to an endorsement of a particular action. Smart people don't do that. Smart people take a no comment as that person hasn't made a stance. Not that that person is somehow in agreement with whatever you are upset about.

By your own admission, you "haven't done your homework," or "conducted any national polls" to determine what the LGBT community actually thinks about Chappelle, but are insisting that they be loud and clear and take a stance, lest people, apparently people like you, won't just assume they believe.....X.

Wouldn't it be just easier if you didn't assume they believed X until they fucking said they did? Isn't that better than all of us going around having to declare positions about issues that we, for whatever reason, don't feel are worth discussing?

How far do we take this concept? I mean, I was raised Catholic. Was in the church every week, often more than once. Did the whole confirmation class, that required retreats and all sort of extra stuff. Point being, as far as background goes, I'm about as a deeply raised Catholic as one can be.
Now should I be obligated to speak out against the child-abuse scandals the church is constantly caught up in? Should my silence on an issue, be an assumption of my endorsement of casual butt-play between a priest and an altar boy?

Well, your downplaying of this huge controversy and its effects aside,

More like I'm disputing the notion that it's a huge controversy when we you can't show a huge amount of people behind it. It's a smittering of a woke mob tweeting about it on social media. And it gets amped by the media, not because of people like me who hardly have this register for them, but for people like you who convince themselves that this is a massive issue and seek out more of the same stories.

He can compare them when it's the same AI algo's running across nearly every part of the of the world's known internet deciding what's allowed to roam free... But a ComSci guy telling you that you're manipulated by code will just make you butthurt. Thankfully your ravaged anus is really toughened up by now.

As for that cheesy ex president dude, the only place you find something like the "Trump on paper" doc is nowhere to be found but someplace like Dark Matter which you need high level stuff running to get you there.

"Shrugs" You'll find something meaningless to post though I'm thinking.

So in the future if one of if not the most popular stand up comic on the planet Dave Chapelle makes jokes the trans community doesn’t like his sets across all platforms will be buried by a secret AI controlled by whom?

Or…and taking it from an actual TV producer guy will make you butthurt, he’ll always have platforms available because he’s widely more popular and profitable.

So in the future if one of if not the most popular stand up comic on the planet Dave Chapelle makes jokes the trans community doesn’t like his sets across all platforms will be buried by a secret AI controlled by whom?

Or…and taking it from an actual TV producer guy will make you butthurt, he’ll always have platforms available because he’s widely more popular and profitable.

LMAO @ "TV Producer guy" He sounds like a real code hound.

Why take bait and make yourself look even more ignorant. I say ignorant because you did exactly what I said you would do and posted some dumb pointless shit not related to or disproving what I posted. Way to miss the point.

Oh and good luck proving what I just said is incorrect. You'll never and I repeat never will be able to. Look I'll write the smart contract you put a Bitcoin in it i'll add 2. If you can prove it, you get the contracts bounty sent to your wallet.

You game? You sound too poor to even participate and it makes me laugh at you.

I'm still not sure what incidents you're talking about. But a handful of independent theaters of film festivals deciding not to screen a documentary of his hardly equates to him being silenced. Are you really having trouble finding Dave Chappelle content? Because you don't need to look too far to find all you could ever want. From the major streaming networks, to late night everything, to nationwide live shows, the guys pretty much everywhere.

You don't think you're exaggerating a bit here?

So they don't have to make a statement, it will just be attributed to them. And is that fair? No. But that's the way because people are going to attribute it to them unfairly.

How the fuck is this logical to you? You are the only one trying to attribute this position to the LGBT community at large. And you seem to acknowledge that this is unfair. So why don't you just argue against attributing this position to them, instead of just throwing up your arms an insisting it can't be avoided?

Only if we live in a world with enough people like you who will foolishly equate a no-comment, to an endorsement of a particular action. Smart people don't do that. Smart people take a no comment as that person hasn't made a stance. Not that that person is somehow in agreement with whatever you are upset about.

By your own admission, you "haven't done your homework," or "conducted any national polls" to determine what the LGBT community actually thinks about Chappelle, but are insisting that they be loud and clear and take a stance, lest people, apparently people like you, won't just assume they believe.....X.

Wouldn't it be just easier if you didn't assume they believed X until they fucking said they did? Isn't that better than all of us going around having to declare positions about issues that we, for whatever reason, don't feel are worth discussing?

How far do we take this concept? I mean, I was raised Catholic. Was in the church every week, often more than once. Did the whole confirmation class, that required retreats and all sort of extra stuff. Point being, as far as background goes, I'm about as a deeply raised Catholic as one can be.
Now should I be obligated to speak out against the child-abuse scandals the church is constantly caught up in? Should my silence on an issue, be an assumption of my endorsement of casual butt-play between a priest and an altar boy?

More like I'm disputing the notion that it's a huge controversy when we you can't show a huge amount of people behind it. It's a smittering of a woke mob tweeting about it on social media. And it gets amped by the media, not because of people like me who hardly have this register for them, but for people like you who convince themselves that this is a massive issue and seek out more of the same stories.
What would you rate Dave’s new special? 8 from me or a 9

What would you rate Dave’s new special? 8 from me or a 9

Probably just a notch below at a 7 or so. For me, anything he does is worth a watch. I just felt the subject matter had been tread before.

Probably just a notch below at a 7 or so. For me, anything he does is worth a watch. I just felt the subject matter had been tread before.
I prefer his old material. He’s just going for the same stuff recently.

I’ll stand by the 8 I give him though. He is a master of making people angry, and I have to respect that.

Back