Dave Allen meets #15 rated heavyweight Chris Lovejoy 10/31

sweetviolenturg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The British brawler, Allen was supposed to fight German veteran contender Christian Hammer on the Usyk-Chisora undercard next Saturday but Hammer tested positive for COVID-19 so in steps the enigmatic Lovejoy. Who despite having fought all 19 of his pro fights in Tijuana bars against severely limited Mexican opposition has somehow managed to become rated in the top 15 by the WBA.

Felt like Hammer/Allen was the most appropriate booking possible for both. Allen maybe wins. WBA ranked a dead guy, so nothing surprises me with them

I am trying to make a witty sardonic comment. But, to be honest, I got nothing.
I feel you, bro. Same here.

If nothing else it will be interesting to see just how bad Lovejoy is. Maybe he'll actually surprise us & he'll turn out to be a competent fighter. But I highly doubt it. I expect Allen to walk right through him.

Ahhh I see why, Lovejoy is 19-0 with 19 ko's. Sanctioning bodies love a record like that, even though they were Tijuana cab drivers

Ahhh I see why, Lovejoy is 19-0 with 19 ko's. Sanctioning bodies love a record like that, even though they were Tijuana cab drivers
Kind of reminds be of Peter McNeely in that you build up a record in the hopes to cash out while getting beat by a much better boxer.

But, Pete got 500K for his work against Tyson.

Is it worth cashing out against Dave Allen?

Yeah, I get that the pound is stronger than the dollar. But, I doubt he is making retirement money.

Lovejoy didn't have an amateur career to be fair this is his first real opportunity he trains with Floyd Mayweather Sr he is 6foot5 and 300lbs he cant be that bad he has been calling for a big fight for 2 years and no one wants to fight him. Allen also isnt exactly Ali

Lovejoy didn't have an amateur career to be fair this is his first real opportunity he trains with Floyd Mayweather Sr he is 6foot5 and 300lbs he cant be that bad he has been calling for a big fight for 2 years and no one wants to fight him. Allen also isnt exactly Ali
I tried to find stuff on him on youtube. All I could find was him working a heavy bag and doing mit work. No fights and no sparing. But, I did see lots of interviews with him or managers talking about upcoming fights tht never happened. Not sure who backed out or if it's just the business and politics of boxing.

I just assumed his first step up would be against a journeyman with a 50/50 record in the US.

Why he is getting head scratching is because he has been ranked #15 by the WBA. Therefore, he is qualified to fight for a title.

Again, this reminds me of how McNeely was given a ranking around the time the contract with tyson was signed.

Does this mean that Christopher was really in line to fight Anthony Joshua?

I'm sure that if Lovejoy could fight at all that they could have found a spot for him on some cards somewhere vs semi-live bodies rather than having his entire career play out in Tijuana nightclubs vs the dregs of the Mexican heavyweight division.

But who knows, maybe he'll be more dangerous to Allen than I expect him to be. It's not like the Brit isn't there to be hit. At this point, it's a good opportunity for both men as I see it. It gives Allen a chance to rebound from his loss to David Price & to sneak into the world rankings in the process. And for Lovejoy, it provides him with a bit of a "name" heavyweight to prove himself against. Even if he loses to Allen but gives a good showing it should open up other opportunities for him so that his days of headlining in dive bars south of the border will be over.

I'm sure that if Lovejoy could fight at all that they could have found a spot for him on some cards somewhere vs semi-live bodies rather than having his entire career play out in Tijuana nightclubs vs the dregs of the Mexican heavyweight division.

But who knows, maybe he'll be more dangerous to Allen than I expect him to be. It's not like the Brit isn't there to be hit. At this point, it's a good opportunity for both men as I see it. It gives Allen a chance to rebound from his loss to David Price & to sneak into the world rankings in the process. And for Lovejoy, it provides him with a bit of a "name" heavyweight to prove himself against. Even if he loses to Allen but gives a good showing it should open up other opportunities for him so that his days of headlining in dive bars south of the border will be over.
Very good rundown.

Lovejoy's opponents look like they were dragged out of Mexican bars. They may well have.

I tried to find stuff on him on youtube. All I could find was him working a heavy bag and doing mit work. No fights and no sparing. But, I did see lots of interviews with him or managers talking about upcoming fights tht never happened. Not sure who backed out or if it's just the business and politics of boxing.

I just assumed his first step up would be against a journeyman with a 50/50 record in the US.

Why he is getting head scratching is because he has been ranked #15 by the WBA. Therefore, he is qualified to fight for a title.

Again, this reminds me of how McNeely was given a ranking around the time the contract with tyson was signed.

Does this mean that Christopher was really in line to fight Anthony Joshua?

They were trying to put him up against Trevor Bryan but yeah his record looks worse the more you look at it 2 guys he fought twice. But again its a short notice fight. Give Lovejoy some credit for taking the fight as he clearly has a padded record but that is what got him the opportunity he doesnt even have a promoter or a long term contract. And he isnt making millions to fight Allen if this is his big cash out is it really worth it? He is coming because he thinks he can win he aint getting rich off this fight

FWIW, I'll be cheering on Lovejoy during this matchup

Well, you may only have a short while to cheer him on, my friend as I've heard from an inside source today that Lovejoy is likely going to show up 100 lbs heavier than he was for his previous fight last year. Apparently, he's been hitting the drive-through for takeaway meals more than he's been hitting the gym. Which is inexcusable for a fighter in his position. He should have stayed in shape & been ready for a big opportunity like this. Especially since he's in his late 30s & more opportunities like this aren't likely to come along if/when Allen gets him out of there early.

Well, you may only have a short while to cheer him on, my friend as I've heard from an inside source today that Lovejoy is likely going to show up 100 lbs heavier than he was for his previous fight last year. Apparently, he's been hitting the drive-through for takeaway meals more than he's been hitting the gym. Which is inexcusable for a fighter in his position. He should have stayed in shape & been ready for a big opportunity like this. Especially since he's in his late 30s & more opportunities like this aren't likely to come along if/when Allen gets him out of there early.
https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/37638

Looks like this is getting cancelled, Don King has said he has Lovejoy under contract

Looks like this is getting cancelled, Don King has said he has Lovejoy under contract
I heard about that this morning too. But I heard that Eddie Hearn was still trying to keep the fight on the card via the old "brown envelope of cash" sent to King. I've seen this done several times before by promoters & managers who have a piece of a fighter who's booked for a big fight. They wait until it's 48 hours before the scheduled fight & then threaten to put the kibosh on it unless they get some compensation. Whether the fight takes place always depends on how much the promotor/manager wants.

Hopefully, in this case, Hearn is willing to pay what King wants. Now, I'm actually looking forward to watching this freakshow of a fight.

They wait until it's 48 hours before the scheduled fight & then threaten to put the kibosh on it unless they get some compensation.

I havent heard anyone use the word kibosh for a long time, great word, but now i'm curious...i thought it was a word used only in the UK, but it appears it isnt

Back