Datsusara Pro Gear Bag VS Hayabusa Gear Bag

White Belt
Reaction score
I've heard nothing but good stuff about the Datsusara. I've heard it's large enough to fit all of my equipment perfectly and I really like the all black design.
My only thing is, does anyones equipment start to stink in there after a while? its so closed up, i would imagine your bag reaking after a while from your gi, gloves, etc.
hayabusa, however, makes a mesh gear bag that looks really interesting. its designed to have full ventilation to fix this exact problem. A buddy of mine works at a fight shop and told me that they've been selling like crazy and all of the customers have come back saying they love it. The difference in price is the Haybausa is $60 & the Datsusara is $100
I just wan to know if anyone has any experience to share. Thanks guys

I've got the Hayabusa bag. It's a well made bag and is well ventilated (which is great for sweaty gear after training sessions) but the biggest complaint I have against it is that it is essentially one big pocket. The bag fits all my gear without any issues; Gi, compression shorts, rashie top, 16oz gloves, mma gloves, head gear, shin guards, cup, jacket, handwraps, skipping rope and a water bottles (I clip my mouthguard onto a loop on the side). The problem is that there's no real way to 'organise' everything.

The only pockets the Hayabusa bag has are two at the side of the bag (one small enough for spare coins, the other big enough to fit my car keys, wallet and phone) and one inside (which I use to keep my used handwraps in until I get home). I dunno if it's just because I'm an organisational freak, but it gets annoying having to dig around in the bag for a specific item during training, especially if you're in a rush, you tend to throw things around.

That's the only issue I have with the bag though. I love that it can fit all my gear and still have plenty of spare space and it's mesh design makes it good for ventilation (except for one unluckily incident when I was caught in the rain and had my Gi top wet). I've always wanted a Datsusara PB though, I'm the type of person that puts things in a specific place and way, and constantly having to reorder my Hayabusa bag after most training sessions does get a little annoying though.

The hemp material of the Datsusara is breathable - I've never had any issues w/ gear staying damp / nasty in the bag.

Apparently, the new bags from DSMMA are resin-coated, not sure how that affects the natural breathability of the hemp fabric.

I love the Datsusara bag but it won't likely help you much.
I empty my bag out to air dry the gear that got used.
Wet gear is only in the bag for the drive home.

The big pockets are great for organization so you might like that.
The mesh pouches on the outside come in handy as well.
And the smaller side pouches hold my mouthguard in one, tape etc in another and the third one gets my wallet, keys and cell phone.

So for organization you might like it.
For airing out gear...no

My Datsusara bag breathes really well...no smells at all after 9 months of heavy use.

Your dirty/wet clothes and gear go in the supplied "wet clothes" bag so the stinky stuff never sits in the bag touching everything else.

The 16oz gloves fit in the outside side pocket so even if they are wet/smelly, they never come in contact with the gear and clothing inside the main compartment.

Spend the extra $40 and get the Datsusara bag. It is well worth it.

Just pick up a Wilson gear bag (or similiar) at your local sports store. They are designed to carry lots of sports equipment, they've got both large and small compartments, and they'll cost about $30. But if a name brand means that much to you...

I dig checking out what's out there as far as new gear and how people are faring with various equipment, but gear bags? dude, it's just a duffle bag. If it says Hayabusa or Fifth/Third Bank on it, it just holds your shit. You are supposed to hang your gear up after use anyhow.

christ, it's like mma gyms are turning into Bally's.

I dig checking out what's out there as far as new gear and how people are faring with various equipment, but gear bags? dude, it's just a duffle bag. If it says Hayabusa or Fifth/Third Bank on it, it just holds your shit. You are supposed to hang your gear up after use anyhow.

christ, it's like mma gyms are turning into Bally's.

why buy a bmw when you can have a kia? it's like the roads are turning into bally's.

Quality is quality.

My Datsusara bag breathes really well...no smells at all after 9 months of heavy use.

Your dirty/wet clothes and gear go in the supplied "wet clothes" bag so the stinky stuff never sits in the bag touching everything else.

The 16oz gloves fit in the outside side pocket so even if they are wet/smelly, they never come in contact with the gear and clothing inside the main compartment.

Spend the extra $40 and get the Datsusara bag. It is well worth it.

What is the wet clothes bag made out of? Washable?

yep the NB...Body made of heavy duty 1680D/ULY Waterproof Polyester

machine washable but keep the heat low if you toss them in the dryer and be careful about the drawstring snagging in the wash.

yep the NB...Body made of heavy duty 1680D/ULY Waterproof Polyester

machine washable but keep the heat low if you toss them in the dryer and be careful about the drawstring snagging in the wash.

Thanks, I'm glad you can order these separately.

I always just turn my "wet/nasty bag" inside out when I get home and spray it with lysol. That way it dries out and kills the germs and smells.
Seems to still smell clean after about a year of use.

Back