dating a girl who has kids

just curious what sherdog's thoughts are on getting into a relationship with a girl who has kids and potentially settling down with her?

Ive dated a girl who had kids and im not gonna lie, it had some major drawbacks. The one saving grace was that the father kept them every other weekend and since we only saw each other on weekends it allowed for me to have half my time with her alone.

Also, maybe its just me being insecure, but I would feel like a chump if I settled down with a girl who had kids and the father wasn't around and wasn't providing financial assistance and now I come in and raise another mans kids. Its a must for me to even consider dating a girl with kids that the father has to be around a bit to help watch them and provide financial assistance. Its not even just about the time or money, just the principle of the matter for me.
1. I have done it.
2. 9x's out of 10 it's usually the best sex ever. Not sure what it is about single mom's, but MAN THEY ARE HORNY AND SLUTTY!
3. There will be problems. 99x's out 100 there will be problems.
4. If you REALLY love the person you stick it out and make it work. If you don't, well then you don't.
5. Kids will eventually grow up and move out, and it will just be the 2 of you. But you need to stick out all those years till then.
6. The sex usually is fucking phenomenal!

If 2 & 6 are your reasons to stay with her, then just stay with her for the sex and once it starts getting serious bail!

It can be a great situation for all involved, or not. Seen it go both ways.

If you're still young with your selfish young dude priorities you're best to steer clear.

First thing you do is take the kids to the gym and put 275lbs on the bench and show them the man their real father will never be.

It can be a great situation for all involved, or not. Seen it go both ways.

If you're still young with your selfish young dude priorities you're best to steer clear.
True dat plus other reasons to stay clear which I have:
1. On the phone they say they want to be married in a year and you haven't met yet
2. They go on and on about clothes and how one should dress
3. They talk about how hot their ex was
4. They mention a STD
5. They are disabled
6. They want you to have sex with a man
7. They have 3 kids from 3 different guys, never married, and want to have sex with YOU with OUT a condom
8. They stalk you
9. They want you to come over for a BBQ with her kids and you haven't even been on a date yet
10. She wants you to meet the kids right away
And this is stuff I remember without trying hard. Yes I experienced this and so much more!

I dated a girl with kids but the father was pretty much present and we ended up being friends (for the time of the relationship). When the whole thing broke up it was the father of the kids the last person who came to my house and we sat down to talk about the whole thing. I didnt sit down with anybody else from that family to talk I only allowed him to come to my house because I knew the kind of stand up guy he was. Later on I was extremely happy when I found out that due to my breaking up he met a woman with whom he got married and he is very happy today. Good for that guy!

I dated a girl with kids but the father was pretty much present and we ended up being friends (for the time of the relationship). When the whole thing broke up it was the father of the kids the last person who came to my house and we sat down to talk about the whole thing. I didnt sit down with anybody else from that family to talk I only allowed him to come to my house because I knew the kind of stand up guy he was. Later on I was extremely happy when I found out that due to my breaking up he met a woman with whom he got married and he is very happy today. Good for that guy!
That guy sounds like top tier bro material.

You'll live to regret it.

That's a type of baggage I'll never carry again.

You don't become a chump for dating a girl with kids. You become a chump by letting a girl with kids strong arm you into something you're not ready for. OR you become a chump by dumping a good thing because you don't want to look bad to people whose opinions won't matter in 5 years.

Girls with kids have 2 potential drawbacks - disciplining the kids and if the ex is a dirtbag.

just curious what sherdog's thoughts are on getting into a relationship with a girl who has kids and potentially settling down with her?

Ive dated a girl who had kids and im not gonna lie, it had some major drawbacks. The one saving grace was that the father kept them every other weekend and since we only saw each other on weekends it allowed for me to have half my time with her alone.

Also, maybe its just me being insecure, but I would feel like a chump if I settled down with a girl who had kids and the father wasn't around and wasn't providing financial assistance and now I come in and raise another mans kids. Its a must for me to even consider dating a girl with kids that the father has to be around a bit to help watch them and provide financial assistance. Its not even just about the time or money, just the principle of the matter for me.

In the past I thought only a chump would date a single mother, but I guess I've matured. If the chick is good and you have fun with her it seems like a silly reason to not to explore it. I've never done it, but a buddy I play baseball with in his late 20s is dating a chick with a 6 year old boy (she has full custody), and it's working out fine for him. He's been with her for like 3 years now.

Couple things to be aware of, the kid will always come first to her. There will be cancelled dates, times when the kid comes with you, and lots of in-house dates because baby sitters can get expensive. In my buddies case the girls mother (kids grandma) wanted them to go out all all the dates in the world, because it meant she got the kid for the evening and loved it, so that helped their situation. If you're getting a sitter you can offer to help pay (or don't let her pay for anything on the dates), but she might see that as trying to take care of the kid for her because she can't (and that's a feeling no single mother wants), or that you expect something (sex) in return for covering the sitter.

My buddy made due and didn't intrude too much in the kids life at first, but now he will play basketball, baseball/catch and ball hockey with him, taken him to a few hockey games, takes him to the arcade, mini-put, etc, and is spending more and more time with him. Since the kid is 6 he's right at that age where he wants to learn every sport under the sun, and my buddy is actually really good with him. Funny thing was I never took him to be good with kids because most his life he was a huge stoner until recently, but the kid has really taken him in and it's also brought my buddy and his girlfriend a lot closer.

If you're over 30 and would turn down an otherwise great woman because she has a kid(s), that is kind of pathetic.

If the father of the kids either isn't in the picture or is a decent guy who understands that his ex has moved on and you dig her then go for it.

If her ex is a psycho then forget it. Seen too many times where the ex husband or boyfriend who is still stalking the girl then begins to stalk her new boyfriend because he's off his rocker. And I know, well I can defend myself and yes I get it you may be badder than him. But, it's unwanted drama.

That’s when you have your own kid with the mother and treat your kid like an angle and the steps like shit. Adds a whole new dynamic to the game.
I'll just say I'm pretty close to a situation where the dad did just that and it made me swear I'd never get involved with a woman with kids.

Or as my coworkers call it, an "Instant Family: just add money"

Not a bad thing, you know she fucks and she'll let you finish in her as well.

All the power to the men who could do it as i think one would need a lot of patience to deal with the kids. I could only get into a relationship with a woman with kids if i am also bringing my kids to the relationship.

I wouldn't even consider it to be honest, but then I don't like kids.
She's always going to put her kids first, so you'll always come last and never be a priority. I just can't see why I'd put myself in that position when there's plenty of single woman that don't have kids out there.

well then count me in as one of those alphas you see through because I absolutely think raising another mans kids is shitty. I mean I can see if hes dead or locked up, but I cant take the situation seriously if my girl got knocked up by a dude and doesn't even hold him accountable enough to force him to pay child support yet im supposed to be cool with that and fill that role?

You may want to reconsider your position on if the father is in the picture or not. So many situations can arise if he is. Custody battles. Child support issues. Maybe he's paying child support, stops (loses job, laidoff, just an asshole) and she's in a position to need financial help. He may be hostile towards you if he wants to get back with her, or if he sees you as taking over his role. There's so many weird things that can happen, that it's almost better if she's self supported and he isn't in the picture.

You can tell a lot about how a woman (single mother) is by how she supports and raises her kid(s). If she expects you to contribute financially in any way that's sort of a red flag. If she doesn't expect you to fill that father role any time soon and is supporting herself and the kid then that's a sign of a pretty good woman who probably had an unplanned / accidental pregnancy and for whatever reason moved on. If the father is completely out of the picture and the mom is taking care of the kid and doesn't expect anything from you, that's a pretty good sign. Then it's just up to you if you want to be with her, because if you end up dating long term it's inevitable that you will become more and more involved in the kids life as she involves you more in hers. That was the case in the story with my buddy, and while I don't hang out with them a ton outside baseball, from everything I've seen she's a very good person.

I have a niece because my brother married into a child. She's awesome.

Unfortunately now days lots of girls have kids. I've dated a few girls with kids, but I won't make it a serious relationship. The problem with that is most girls with kids want a serious relationship. I'm not trying to play daddy. Also kids make it really hard to spend quality time together. Basically kids are a major distraction to a relationship. I'll certainly sleep with a milf until something better comes along.

You need to find one that enjoys anal, because lets face it, vaginas are never the same after a few tearings via birth.

Back