Dark Souls III v4: Vengeance, sweet sweet vengeance

GtehMVP

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I'm new-ish to the series, and no one continued from the last thread 3 years ago, so I figured I'd make this to help inspire new players to this amazing game/genre. I know Sekiro is all the rage atm, but if you like dark fantasy, and a good, but fair challenge, you owe it to yourself to pick up this game. It's so bloody rewarding, and gorgeous.

I finally clicked with Dark Souls 3 recently, and man it has its hooks deep into me. I played a bit of Dark Souls 1, and Bloodborne, but I never had the right mindset playing them I guess, and approached them like a DMC game. Suffice to say, my experience was very negative.

I'm old school, but had gotten soft since the days of Castlevania NES, Rygar etc... I've been spoiled by quick saves, and never thought I'd want to channel the vintage mindset of every enemy being potentially deadly.

I bought Dark Souls 3 a couple of years ago, but refunded on Steam after I lost to Ludex about 15 times in a row lol. I was around the 2 hour mark, so figured I'd cash out, as I paid near full price, and was beyond frustrated. I love the gothic aesthetics of Souls games, and quitting like that always bothered me.

I beat Ludex on my second try this time, and scared my dog as I was giving my screen DX crotch chops. Even though I've died so many damn times since then, and even lost 100k souls once, I feel like a seasoned warrior now lol

FGzZccq.gif

I can't wait to go back and play the others. Anyone else have a similar experience with these games? The "prepare to die" mantra always turned me off. Now that I understand the mechanics, I like it even less, as it doesn't do justice to the brilliance of the game design.

Previous version
https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/dark-souls-iii-v3-i-blame-the-stamina-regen.3242233/

Have you finished DS3 or how many bosses have you fought so far?

This is one of those games, where I enjoyed playing it, aswell as the DLC, but its never really resonated with me like the other soulsborne games. Its an admittedly good game, but it feels like more of the same, thus losing that impact the first DS game, Bloodborne or even Sekiro had.

This is one of those games, where I enjoyed playing it, aswell as the DLC, but its never really resonated with me like the other soulsborne games. Its an admittedly good game, but it feels like more of the same, thus losing that impact the first DS game, Bloodborne or even Sekiro had.

Agreed. Dark Souls 3 is a damn fine game, but it’s probably my least favourite of the Soulsborne games. I started with Demons Souls in October 2011 and immediately after beating it picked up Dark Souls 1, which to me is the gold standard.

Ranking the series for me would be:
Dark Souls
Bloodborne
Dark Souls 2
Demon’s Souls
Dark Souls 3

But those bottom 3 are interchangeable depending on the day of the week.

I feel bad for anyone that missed out on Demon’s Souls prior to them shutting down the servers. Playing it offline just isn’t the same. Going around and not seeing even one player message is a bit... unsettling.

I feel bad for anyone that missed out on Demon’s Souls prior to them shutting down the servers. Playing it offline just isn’t the same. Going around and not seeing even one player message is a bit... unsettling.
I haven't tried it yet but apparently someone set up a private server to keep the magic going. Umbassa.

Have you finished DS3 or how many bosses have you fought so far?
I just got through the first part of the road to sacrifice, in the swamp now, so I'm sure there's a quite a bit left. I attacked the Blacksmith early in the game by accident, so he wouldn't upgrade my weapons. I got through everything so far with only 3 flasks, but finally looked up how to make Andre happy. It cost me 40k souls to absolve my sins ffs lol. Now that I upgraded my Claymore, and have more/better flasks, I've been running through the Undead Settlement and Lothric (sp?) castle a few times for fun, and payback. Killing that Blue Knight and the fat bitch witch easier is especially satisfying.

How do you find DS 3 compares to the others? What would you recommend first, once I get through this one? How does it compare with Sekiro? I have Dark Souls 1 on Steam still, was thinking of going back to that first, though Bloodborne sounds more appealing to shake things up.

I haven't tried it yet but apparently someone set up a private server to keep the magic going. Umbassa.

I had forgotten about Demon Souls. I remember playing that on my 360, or PS3 when it came out. I remember it running like ass. How are people playing it online? Emulation? I hope they remaster it!

How do you find DS 3 compares to the others? What would you recommend first, once I get through this one? How does it compare with Sekiro? I have Dark Souls 1 on Steam still, was thinking of going back to that first, though Bloodborne sounds more appealing to shake things up.

DS1 is a masterclass in level design, and tbh none of the games in the series even come close to the level design in this game. The world feels so organic and interconnected and intertwined. You'll be honestly shocked when you play it for the first time, and in a good way. Itll feel aged, and is slower paced than all the other souls games, except 2, but its definitely either number 1 or 2 on most soulsborne fans' lists. An absolute classic and is firmly in my top 10 games of all time.

I didnt finish 2, got bored, but Ill buy SOFTS and retry it again, as I heard the DLC is better. Thats the norm for From games, the DLC > base game usually.

Bloodborne is beautiful. The atmosphere, the level design, the boss design, the OST, I can choose one of these elements and I can keep going on and on about it, writing 30 page dissertations if need be. The gameplay is quick, and offensive minded. The first area is insanely difficult, if its your first souls game, but man, after you get over the hump, you'll be in for one of the most rewarding experiences in entertainment. I was so engrossed, all I did was think about this game, the lore etc. Imo an easy 10/10. Its not 100% perfect, no game is, but its a must to play imo. Pinnacle of gaming and one of my favourite, if not favourite, games of all time. The atmosphere in this game is unparalleled, an it feels like a horror game at times.

Sekiro is the new kid on the block. It, imo, has the best and most fleshed out physical combat system since BB. You play this like a souls game, ad youre screwed. The combat is the most satisfying out of all the games, or maybe second to BB, and man the setting, graphics etc are all so great. I need few more playthroughs but it may be second to BB at this current time.

I suggest watching lore vids with Vaati after finishing the games.

DS1 is a masterclass in level design, and tbh none of the games in the series even come close to the level design in this game. The world feels so organic and interconnected and intertwined. You'll be honestly shocked when you play it for the first time, and in a good way. Itll feel aged, and is slower paced than all the other souls games, except 2, but its definitely either number 1 or 2 on most soulsborne fans' lists. An absolute classic and is firmly in my top 10 games of all time.

I didnt finish 2, got bored, but Ill buy SOFTS and retry it again, as I heard the DLC is better. Thats the norm for From games, the DLC > base game usually.

Bloodborne is beautiful. The atmosphere, the level design, the boss design, the OST, I can choose one of these elements and I can keep going on and on about it, writing 30 page dissertations if need be. The gameplay is quick, and offensive minded. The first area is insanely difficult, if its your first souls game, but man, after you get over the hump, you'll be in for one of the most rewarding experiences in entertainment. I was so engrossed, all I did was think about this game, the lore etc. Imo an easy 10/10. Its not 100% perfect, no game is, but its a must to play imo. Pinnacle of gaming and one of my favourite, if not favourite, games of all time. The atmosphere in this game is unparalleled, an it feels like a horror game at times.

Sekiro is the new kid on the block. It, imo, has the best and most fleshed out physical combat system since BB. You play this like a souls game, ad youre screwed. The combat is the most satisfying out of all the games, or maybe second to BB, and man the setting, graphics etc are all so great. I need few more playthroughs but it may be second to BB at this current time.

I suggest watching lore vids with Vaati after finishing the games.
Thanks man! I feel like I discovered a great TV show that has tons of seasons I can binge

JoyousAridKodiakbear-max-1mb.gif

Thanks man! I feel like I discovered a great TV show that has tons of seasons I can binge

JoyousAridKodiakbear-max-1mb.gif

I recommend starting with DS1.

Then maybe playing BB.

Then Sekrio or DS3.

DS3 has grown on me immensely over the years. It may be my favorite in the Souls series at this point.

i just started it a couple weeks ago and i got about halfway (i'm guessing. maybe 2/3 or so, dunno) before getting bored.

i just don't like the combat (slow and swampy) and all the backtracking/repetitiveness of the levels. i wish it had randomly generated levels and more fluid combat. actually, i think it would be more/less perfect with those 2 changes...

I almost platinum'd this game, but couldn't bring myself to do it. I enjoyed playing online and invading/helping with bosses for a while, but the journey to the desired level just got tedious. I may pick the game up again, but it isn't so fun when online is dead.

I had a better experience with Bloodborne at the start of the year. Dark Souls 3 online is very fun, but Bloodborne's emotion and feeling is much better.

I love all of them for different reasons, even the much hated Dark Souls II
Such a great series that respects you and your intelligence

BTW OP, it's Iudex, not Ludex ;), pronounced YUDEX I guess in English, from the Latin word for Judge/Juror.

I still think Gundyr (or Stundyr as I like to call him) is perhaps the best tutorial boss in all of Soulsborne, love that guy. He's kind of a pushover if you know what you're doing, but he's menacing enough to feel intimidating to new players, with a cool moveset and that weird "WTF" moment to make people go "WOW THIS GAME WILL BE AMAZING!" He's a perfect starting point for new skeletons.
His Champion cousin is something else though lol

Btw, I had a very similar experience as you. I think you'll love Sekiro all the same once it clicks. It's early days and maybe a bit of a honeymoon thing, but I think Sekiro is tied with Bloodborne already for me when it comes to From Soft games. So definitely pick that one up too down the line. It's very different from Dark Souls, and yet again, in a weird way, it isn't ...

Last edited:
I like DS3. The world is better in 1, but the fluidity and combat is better in 3 in my opinion. If DS1 had the combat mechanics of 1, and graphical quality of Sekiro, It would be so much better. Im annoyed that they didnt even give the Remastered version the ability to have omnidirectional rolling when locked on.

Dark Souls 1 is such an overrated pile of rubbish. And before anyone says "git gud" I have every achievement and completed it at Soul Level 1.

Dark Souls 3 is a wannabe Bloodborne/Dark Souls sequel that has some of the most one-dimensional combat in the series.

Dark Souls 2 gets hated on for being the middle child and trying new things.

Bloodborne is damn near perfect.

Sekiro furthers that perfection.

It is sluggish as fuck with poor boss battles (Capra, Ceaseless Discharge, Bed of Chaos) no good OST outside of Gwyn (listen to Seath ffs), and unpolished bullshit.

Btw, fuck Jennifer Lawrence. Never use that gay ass gif on me.

Confession, DS3 is the only Soulsbourne I've played, and I've pumped a lot of hours into it. As far as I can tell every game has a few bosses that are trash, and I feel like outside of Wolnir, Wyvern, and Deacons there really aren't any terrible ones, unless you really hate gimmick fights like Yhorm.
Could have done with a few less poison swamps and stupid environmental hazards, and PVP is pretty cheesy, though I've always tried to follow my code. The only boss I absolutely loath is the Twin Princes. I've beaten the main game+DLC with Pyro/Sorc/Miracles, but I think melee is the way to go. Grab a Greatsword and go to town.
On that subject, the DLC was kinda meh. Ariandel is basically just a cool bonus boss fight. Ring City was alright, but a little frustrating. Bosses were all on point outside of the gimmicky Church fight. If there weren't so many awesome items in them I would probably skip them unless I was bored, which does not a good DLC make. All personal opinion though.

Last edited:
It is sluggish as fuck with poor boss battles (Capra, Ceaseless Discharge, Bed of Chaos) no good OST outside of Gwyn (listen to Seath ffs), and unpolished bullshit.

Yeah this dude probably played DS1 after all the other soulsborne games, chose the 3 worst boss battle to claim poor boss battles, when the same cold be said for DS2 and DS3, OST is pretty good overall even though none stand out outside of the magnificient Gywn piano (best piece of music in all the souls game). Some areas are unfinished due to time restrictions etc.

Btw, fuck Jennifer Lawrence.
Id fuck Jennifer Lawerence.

Never use that gay ass gif on me
<YeahOKJen>

Dark Souls 1 is such an overrated pile of rubbish. And before anyone says "git gud" I have every achievement and completed it at Soul Level 1.

Dark Souls 3 is a wannabe Bloodborne/Dark Souls sequel that has some of the most one-dimensional combat in the series.

Dark Souls 2 gets hated on for being the middle child and trying new things.

Bloodborne is damn near perfect.

Sekiro furthers that perfection.
Ds1 could have ended after OnS honestly. The four lords sucked cock and they made Gwyn a joke with parries

Back