Darce v Anaconda choke (gi)

iheartthemount

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So lately I have been trying to work both of these chokes into my GI game. I understand that both of these are easier to apply with no gi because the gi makes tightening the choke more difficult.

My question is which one do you guys have more success in applying in the gi game?

For me getting to the anaconda is easier because it seems to be easier to push their head against their arm then it is in the darce where you have push the arm against the head (or to make it simpler take your free arm to pull their head into their arm).

But I also (probably wrong here) seem to believe that once the Darce is applied, it seems to be a tighter choke then the anaconda.

I don't know, my one particular instructor does not go over many of these chokes that are more suited for the no gi game so I was just wondering all of your thoughts.

Yeah Anaconda works pretty well in the gi.

D'arce doesn't work quite so well in the gi but there is a modified version that is actually a collar choke from the exact same position, usually they call it a brabo choke:

Brabo-06-small.jpg

Brabo Choke with Gi

Yeah Anaconda works pretty well in the gi.

D'arce doesn't work quite so well in the gi but there is a modified version that is actually a collar choke from the exact same position, usually they call it a brabo choke:

Brabo-06-small.jpg

Brabo Choke with Gi

Maybe I am mistaken but I thought the brabo was the same thing as a darce?

I still have no idea where the term brabo came from but I'm pretty sure Darce came from Joe Darce (gracie bb).

Ugh, these terms are so confusing. But if anyone has a video showing the difference that would be awesome for me. I mean I hit the Anacdonda way more but sometimes the Darce is just there

ex: like when you have a whizzer and are like in a dog fight position or what have you.

I still have no idea where the term brabo came from but I'm pretty sure Darce came from Joe Darce (gracie bb).

Ugh, these terms are so confusing. But if anyone has a video showing the difference that would be awesome for me. I mean I hit the Anacdonda way more but sometimes the Darce is just there

ex: like when you have a whizzer and are like in a dog fight position or what have you.

IIRC the name "brabo choke" came from Leo Vieira. Brabo is portuguese for "angry." It's basically the same choke, this is just the gi version.

So lately I have been trying to work both of these chokes into my GI game. I understand that both of these are easier to apply with no gi because the gi makes tightening the choke more difficult.

My question is which one do you guys have more success in applying in the gi game?

For me getting to the anaconda is easier because it seems to be easier to push their head against their arm then it is in the darce where you have push the arm against the head (or to make it simpler take your free arm to pull their head into their arm).

But I also (probably wrong here) seem to believe that once the Darce is applied, it seems to be a tighter choke then the anaconda.

I don't know, my one particular instructor does not go over many of these chokes that are more suited for the no gi game so I was just wondering all of your thoughts.

Everyone knows I probably have an unhealthy obsession with chokes, especially the Darce. I could go on about this for pages and pages. I'll try to keep it simple though.

In gi or no-gi, the Darce is going to be easier to get than the Anaconda (unless you're Rafael Mendes.) There are a couple big reasons for this:

1. To get the Anaconda, you have to have a front headlock, or even at a higher Mendes-type level, you have to be able to position yourself directly in-line with their head. That's what makes him so good at the Anaconda. He can flip, sweep, scramble, and somersault into angles where he's in-line with the head, even if it's not in a traditional "sprawling front headlock" situation. The Darce does not require that you be lines up with the head. You can attack the Darce from angles, and that automatically gives you way more setup options. Think about how many positions you can get the Darce from. Just to name a handful: turtle, top-half, top-side, bottom butterfly, top butterfly, 50/50, bottom side control, mount, etc.

2. To get the Anaconda choke, you have to pass an arm across their neck and outside their shoulder. You're passing your arm in front of their face and chest. This presents two problems. The first is that they can see the arm going across faster than they can with the Darce, so they have more time to defend. The second reason is that they have two arms that they can use to stop your attacking arm/s while keeping their elbows close to their core (center of power.) The Darce goes from the outside-in, where there are no arms to stop the attack. Since it's harder to see the arm shoot through, you generally have less time to defend, and it's easier as the attacker to get your arms in position, even when they devote their arms to stopping the attack.

If you have an easier time with the Anaconda, that's fine. But from a technical standpoint, the Darce is generally easier.

Now in the gi, I find them both very hard, and the only naked chokes I use with regularity are the Marcelo Guillotine and the N/S choke.

EDIT: It is actually very rare to see Anaconda chokes in high level no-gi competiton, while it is quite common to see the Darce. In terms of the most popular chokes in no-gi, the Darce is right up there with the Triangle, RNC, and Guillotine. More people might get finished with the Arm Triangle, I don't know, but the Darce is attempted more from all the footage I watch post-2006. It's definitely a super-high percentage move in submission grappling, while the Anaconda, like I said, is very rare. Maybe it will make a comeback after Rafael Mendes' use of it at the 2009 ADCC, but that remains to be seen. A lot of his entries and setups are hard to train, and are based on timing and attributes like speed and explosiveness. For example, he will front flip over someone's head while standing or in half-guard and lock up the Anaconda as he's falling, or he'll over-head sweep someone and lock up the choke as they're falling. He did a front somersault into it off a single leg against Cobrinha. These aren't exactly easy things to drill.

Last edited:

Okay, I'll make this simple:

The Brabo is a gi choke that was pioneered by Leo Vieira. Guys on his team like Robert Drsdale saw that once you took away the gi, it was easy to apply an arm triangle instead, so they still called it the Brabo choke.

John Danaher taught Joe D'arce the Darce choke. Joe caught Mayhem Miller with it, who showed it to Marc Laimon, Jeff Glover, and Cobra Kai. Laimon would start shouting: "Do the Darce choke!" to his students, and since he's a very loud corner man, I guess other people on the west coast heard him and spread it around.

I use the term Darce so people do not get confused, but sometimes I do call it the Brabo. The Brabo can be a more confusing term, as it can also refer to the gi choke.

Some people will answer that the Darce is the specific gable grip setup for the choke, but that shit's too complicated. Just remember:

No-Gi: Darce=Brabo
Gi: Brabo is its own thing

IIRC the name "brabo choke" came from Leo Vieira. Brabo is portuguese for "angry." It's basically the same choke, this is just the gi version.

Yep. Leo's email was apparently LeoBrabo@.... and Kid Peligro named the choke the Brabo choke for that reason.

As with any move, success is determined by how much you drill something. I for one love the darce choke in gi, and have submitted opponents in both competitions and in training with it. I usually switch between the lapel choke, the darce, and the guillotine and cycle through those 3 chokes in side control.

Wrestleben actually saw me at US Grappling finish someone in gi with a darce.

Its actually my go to move when I move to side control or top half guard.

I know how to apply the anaconda, but have probably landed it once in my almost 2 years of training.

As with any move, success is determined by how much you drill something. I for one love the darce choke in gi, and have submitted opponents in both competitions and in training with it. I usually switch between the lapel choke, the darce, and the guillotine and cycle through those 3 chokes in side control.

Wrestleben actually saw me at US Grappling finish someone in gi with a darce.

Its actually my go to move when I move to side control or top half guard.

I know how to apply the anaconda, but have probably landed it once in my almost 2 years of training.

Aoki is nasty with it in the gi too. Don't see that too often. I would try it, but I really need to prioritize some other gi things first.

Back