D'Arce choke, no arm in.

3a0.jpg

It can, but I think it's almost always better finished as a figure-four guillotine, passing the head to the other side of your body. Unless you want the added neck crank.

milton vieira does it to miller like 3 times in a row in this video (i think, didn't watch it again right now).

i have personally been hitting this alot lately. Have to tweek a few things, but I always call it a power guillotine.

yes, it does...and it's also called a GUILLOTINE!

you're just using a different grip

yes, it does...and it's also called a GUILLOTINE!

you're just using a different grip

Its my best sub. The set up, grip, and finishing pressure/angle are much different from a guillotine.

The one Milton hits on Miller is a N/S Ezekiel, but that's because this choke can either come on as that, or a regular figure-four guillotine, or a brabo with no arm in, depending on the angle you end up at as the opponent moves.

@ Dirty Holt: When you do this choke, are you closing the near side carotid with your shoulder, your biceps, or just the blade of the forearm going across the throat? (And would you care to make a YouTube instructional for fame and glory? There isn't much legit instruction on this variation out there.)

Definitely works but I've never seen any great setups for it. If you try to hit it from a position where you would be hitting the arm-in darce, the guy usually gains control over your body and passes if you don't have it completely locked. Possibly that's not much of a concern if you have wrestling as good as Holt, but to me it's too risky.

I've personally never seen it done in close matches, usually it's when one guy is markedly better.

I've personally never seen it done in close matches, usually it's when one guy is markedly better.

I have hit this on guys who were markedly better and bigger than me. Im talking black belts who subbed me a ton. Its a very sneaky move that when locked in, its game fucking over in like a second. Once they figured out how I was doing it, I rarely if ever got it again on them.

@ Dirty Holt: When you do this choke, are you closing the near side carotid with your shoulder, your biceps, or just the blade of the forearm going across the throat? (And would you care to make a YouTube instructional for fame and glory? There isn't much legit instruction on this variation out there.)

I have actually thought of making a video of this because its so sneaky and I have never seen anyone do it like I do. I hit this almost exactly like a Japanese Neck Tie, with a no arm D'arce grip. I am attacking the far side artery with the forearm, and near side with the bicep. For the guy who said you can get reversed, this is true and it happened to me all the time until I positioned my body the same way I do with an Anaconda; then when they tried to roll into me on top they would go out super fast. This is against good guys, not turds.

Holt, its a no arm d'arce? Not a front naked choke?

If so, make a video.

Yup, a Power guillotine. Diaz bros tend to use it - it's particularly great for guys/girls with long arms.

yeah i remember it being called that when miguel torres used it on some fool back in the WEC.

Back