d'arce choke allowed in bjj?

outonbail

Living My Dreams
Reaction score
hey, we were having a discussion today if the d'arce choke is allowed in BJJ

anyone has a proper answer? i know it's a pure crank if it isn't applied with technique.

We must be doing it wrong at my gym because it sure feels like a blood choke to me.

hope someone (hillary, oliver, anyone else) can give me a clear explenation i know if you do an arm triangle with your hand in your armpit it isn't allowed

of course it is a blood choke, Paulo Thiago put Swick to sleep with it. so yes it is allowed

err... i'm just a lowly white belt, but if that's illegal, what would be legal? that's basically how i learned to arm triangle. i can also vouch that if not done correctly, it turns into a neck crank.

Just because something cranks the neck doesn't make it a neck crank. That's my understanding of it, but I'm merely a white belt, so yeah.

That's pretty much it. There's a big difference between a neck crank and a choke that incidentally cranks the neck.

err... i'm just a lowly white belt, but if that's illegal, what would be legal? that's basically how i learned to arm triangle. i can also vouch that if not done correctly, it turns into a neck crank.

by holding your own lapel or holding your other hand.

i'm just asking the question since the d'arce is done with the same grip.

hey, we were having a discussion today if the d'arce choke is allowed in BJJ

anyone has a proper answer? i know it's a pure crank if it isn't applied with technique.

Yes, it is allowed, both in gi and no-gi. All head-and-arm chokes can tweak the neck a little bit. But whenever someone tells me an Anaconda, Darce, etc, is cranking the neck, I always ask them to remember what REAL neck cranking techniques feel like. IMVHO many people have a tendency to think that pressure on the neck = neck crank. A neck crank is very unique, and is its own thing.

In any event, the Brabo/Darce choke is gonna be considered a blood choke and allowed in gi and no-gi.

EDIT: Remember the 3 pressures:

1. Their left shoulder pressing in on their left carotid artery.
2. Your right forearm squeezing in on their right carotid artery.
3. The back of your left tricep keeping their head tucked down, similar to pulling the head down in a triangle choke.

Last edited:
Why is the d'arce suddenly popping up all over the grappling forum?

I dunno man. Maybe the TS saw the My Darce Sucks thread from the other week, which prompted me to do the thread with info on finishing the choke from the full mount, which may have prompted this guy to make this thread.....

Chain reaction?

Or coincidence?

Hopefully this one will drop down though, as the answer is very simple.

hope someone (hillary, oliver, anyone else) can give me a clear explenation i know if you do an arm triangle with your hand in your armpit it isn't allowed

I can't envision how your hand could end up in your armpit on an arm triangle....

With the arm triangle your three main grips that you will see are going to be:

1. Hand to hand grip (could be gable, S-grip,etc.) and you walk like the second hand on a clock, shrinking the space between their shoulder, neck, and your arm.
2. Hand to bicep grip, with the support arm going on their forehead. You can stay belly down or baseball slide into the scarf/kesa-gatame position for the finish.
3. Hand to bicep grip, with the support hand making a "combing the hair" motion and resting on the back of your head. A lot of 10th Planet guys do this and finish from knee-on-belly. It's actually a very tight arm triangle finish.

sorry, my english isn't perfect

searched an example for you

YouTube - Vitor Belfort Arm Triangle Choke from Top Mount

the way vitor finishes the arm triangle here, is illegal in BJJ since it also cranks the neck.

That's the 2nd way I talked about finishing the arm triangle in my last post. I have never heard of it being illegal, although it can cause more strain on the neck than the other 2 common finishes, because with the palm of your hand on their forehead, you can push down and tilt their head back at the neck.

It's still a considered a choke though.

Back