Danny Green "KO's" Paul Briggs in 29 seconds

I didn't end up going to the Pub for this, Lucky I didn't, i had a much better night home in the warm haha. That's shocking!

Centrebet - commenting on the number of bets etc -

Cut from SMH wesbite - Centrebet spokesman Neil Evans this morning said hundreds and hundreds of bets began pouring in from yesterday morning, shortening the odds for a first-round knock-out from $5 to odds-on by the time the fight got underway.
''The outcome of the fight was highly, highly dubious,'' he said.
''We've never ever in the history of boxing seen so much money go on a specific decision outcome, as in a first or second-round knockout.
''There was a massive go on first or second round knock-out starting from very early yesterday morning, right through the day, certainly up until early afternoon,'' he said.
''There were hundreds and hundreds of bets of all different shapes and sizes, and a lot of them from Western Australia. There was one bet of $50,000 which is extraordinary on an option of a first-round knock-out, even on a hot favourite.
''They were both into even money, paying $2 each at around lunch-time almost, such was the amount of money just poured in the gate.''

lol..

This greens fault just as much for calling a guy out of retirment who had to retire over 3 years ago due to medical conditions. This fight couldnt even get sanctioned in NSW because of that reason so they had to have it in WA. I feel bad for briggs, i dont think he threw the fight there was something seriously wrong with him.

that

green is a fool

Briggs was a childhood hero for me, that guy had the potential to be the greatest Aussie boxer ever.

I was excited for the fight, he came in under the 91kg cruiserweight limit, he just didn't meet the gentlemens agreement Green requested setting it lower. He looked amazing at the weight in and I was certain it was all for real.

I hope it wasn't a dive. I hope more that he's not taken serious damage.

As if the state of boxing in Australia wasn't bad enough, this just made it a hell of a lot worse.

I don't think it was a dive. I saw a pic on the Daily Telegraph this morning and his eyes were glazed, he looked visibly hurt. You can't fake that. Also Paul Briggs is a warrior with too much pride to take a dive IMO.

looks like his neck turns from the punch

and this guy DOES have power...

What? His neck doesn't move? The punch goes over the top of his head? What am I missing here?

They keep saying it hit him "right in the forehead". No it didn't. It hit him in the crown of the head. Above the hairline. He was ducked down and he takes it to the top of the head. It glances off, because of the angle, but it wasn't his forehead, it was the crown.

Pulling Briggs out of retirement and then him going down inside 30 seconds didn't do many favours for Aussie boxing, or Green.

Who chose Briggs and why was it sanctioned by the IBO? Didn't they have any other Cruiserweights laying around?

And they wonder why MMA is growing out here...
Boxing has gotta lift it's game.

Yeah, hope everythings OK with Briggs.

The crowd must all feel like assholes for booing and throwing stuff at Briggs if it comes back that he suffered some serious brain damage. They should be throwing stones at the promoters and people who gave the fight the go ahead if that is the case.

I'm getting his book out the library this week, looking forward to reading his whole story.

Its a decent read but fairly simple in the way its written

Staggering truth: cash-strapped Briggs was not fit to fight

Appears Briggs was in a really bad way. I feel bad for him.

"SO SEVERE were Paul Briggs's neurological problems in the weeks leading up to his fight against Danny Green that he was forgetting at which gymnasium he was training and mistaking strangers' cars for his own. His conditioning was so poor that he took one body shot in sparring and vomited."

Appears Briggs was in a really bad way. I feel bad for him.

"SO SEVERE were Paul Briggs's neurological problems in the weeks leading up to his fight against Danny Green that he was forgetting at which gymnasium he was training and mistaking strangers' cars for his own. His conditioning was so poor that he took one body shot in sparring and vomited."

Damn. The whole situation sounds pretty shitty. I don't know much about Briggs except from what I saw in his fights with Adamek and his Thai background, but it sucks to see him go out like this.

The more I read about this fight the more it seems that Danny Green warrants blame for taking a fight against a fighter with neurological problems coming off a three-year hiatus.

It's way too late in Green's career to accept this sort of mismatch.

That stuff about looking for a one-punch KO and going down if hit once is clearly someone who knows he isn't up to it. And that person should have known what Danny did to RJJ. In the first round.

This is starting to stink more and more.

Briggs' trainer should have pulled him from the fight, if they guy was that far gone then an upper-cut could have done some very, very nasty damage of a permanent kind.

If what is in this article is true then Brigg's camp had a duty to override their man and bring some sanity to the situation.

That look terrible, what a crock of shit, Green seemed like he had some "forced" anger on his end, didn't seem genuine to me.

Back