Daniel Cormier vs. Ryan Bader Floated as First Cross-Promotion Super Fight in MMA History

Should the UFC make it happen?

• Total voters
DC never should have been widely favored over Bader anyway. .

Yes he should, especially when Bader was in the UFC. DC is simply better everywhere. He's a better wrestler and has a great chin + KO power. Go back and watch Bader vs. Jones, Rumble, Texiera, Tito and Machida. I love Lyoto, but he's always belonged at MW and KO'd Bader with a single straight left (a punch that normally just stuns fighters and leads to a combo). Chins don't get better, and Bader's will get cracked again....and for the record, I've pulled for him in all of his Bellator fights.

Bader has a little better chance now due to Cormier's age, but DC is still a bad matchup for him.

I don't think DC walks thru bader. He's the favorite for sure but nobody on earth is walking thru that guy now.

That's what they said about Overeem after his K-1/Strikeforce run. Then he came to the UFC and got KO'd by Bigfoot, Browne and Rothwell. Weak chins will get cracked again. It's just a matter of time.

Fight won't sell well. UFC doesn't do 'trades' and deals with same land promotions.

Bader wouldn't even be competitive.. just hot smoke.

Never gonna happen.

Based has looked good fighting lower competition. He never had anything for Jones/DC/Rumble

that would be epic... both HW AND LHW champs... sorry jones... you cheat so youre not the LHW champ. Imagine if Bader beats Daniel at heavyweight. Jones would be forced to have to fight Bader at HW and if Jones loses against Bader at HW, Rumble comes in and starches Bader. The universe will be complete.

DC mops the floor with the guys who mop the floor with Bader.

It's not relevant in any sense and there is no reason for it to happen.

Give Stipe his rematch lets keep things rolling.

This will never happen. Dana ain't gonna break his sacred rule against co-promotion for Ryan freakin Bader of all people. Think about how they refused to give Bader a title shot against DC when he clearly was the only guy at 205 who deserved it.

Doubt that would ever happen, but if UFC said yes, then it would be really bad for Bellator, because its a awful style matchup for Bader. Cormier is much better everywhere, and Bader is chinny, I always said that about him. No one has laid a glove on him in Bellator so far, but if someone does then don't be surprised to see him lose, he isn't great at taking shots in my opinion. Cormier would give him an ass whopping.

I think bader poses a very real threat to DC

Would love to see this happen.

How many people are saying this is a bad idea are CRAZY.

Think about it the best college football team played the worse NFL team at the end of the year. Everyone would say the NFL team would smoke them , on paper 10x etc etc. but EVERYONE would tune in to watch. Same here. Just the thought of “what if...”

UFC is held in this top tier mma hierarchy , so bader winning would certainly spark things up. More competition is better.

This is a brilliant idea and I hope it happens. The banter and trash talk from one organization to another would be like the WCW invading WWF back in the 90s.

Sign me up.

We've already seen what Bader can do against the top level of mma

4hsdxv.jpg

This is a joke. Bader has improved tremendously and maximized his potential as an MMA fighter, but he's not in DC's league. Never will be.

Would watch ofc.
I will watch any HW fight.

Baders confidence must be sky high and many times thats the key difference.

Remember when this fight was supposed to happen and DC was -800.

He’s only gotten better since.

Daniel Cormier became the first man to win light heavyweight and heavyweight belts simultaneously in the UFC. Shortly after, Ryan Bader conquered both titles under the Bellator banner with an impeccable run at the heavyweight tournament.

Bader won the 205-pound gold in his Bellator debut by defeating Phil Davis via split decision and defended it with a second-round finish over Linton Vassell. “Darth” didn’t think twice when Bellator announced its plans to hold a heavyweight grand prix, and he couldn’t have done better.

In an eight-month span, Bader dominated Matt Mitrione and knocked out “King Mo” Lawal and Fedor Emelianenko — in a combined time of 50 seconds — to win his second belt. Cormier’s double championship run included finishes over Volkan Oezdemir, Stipe Miocic and Derrick Lewis in 2018, making fans wonder how a fight between both champ-champs would go down.

DC and “Darth” were booked to fight in 2015, but Cormier was shifted to a title fight with Anthony Johnson instead. Bader was riding a four-fight winning streak at the time, and added another one to his record over Rashad Evans months later, but the championship collision with Cormier never came to fruition.

Following Bader’s incredible tournament run, barely getting punched throughout the entire heavyweight grand prix and winning 12 of his last 13 fights over former UFC, Pride, Strikeforce and Bellator titleholders, Power MMA head coach Jair Lourenco sees him ready to prove he’s better than UFC’s heavyweight king.

“That’s the fight we wanted. That’s the fight everybody wanted. It’s an old rivalry, and it would be the first champ-champ vs. champ-champ cross-promotion in MMA history. That only happens in boxing. That’s a fight I wanted to see.”

Lourenco started coaching Bader in 2016. . . and currently sees his student as one of the three best pound-for-pound fighters in MMA today. For the Brazilian, Bader can stop Cormier.

“I believe that a five-round fight would be a great scenario for us,” Lourenco said. “Bader does great in five-round fights, but they both have heavy hands. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a war, but I believe Bader has a great chance of finishing him inside five rounds.

“Cormier is a great guy, much respect to him, but I see a good match-up for Bader. Cormier is an excellent wrestler with a good game on short range, the same game Bader does well. Cormier did more in pure wrestling, but Bader’s wrestling in great for MMA.”

Both Bellator and the UFC have yet to announce who’s next for the champions.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/2/...-daniel-cormier-champ-superfight-ufc-bellator

Please do it. Let’s remove doubt of the top HW king of all Org’s.

Love the UFC

Love Bellator

Love Bader

Love DC

Answer is still no.

You’re right. No one gets better or improves. Max Holloway should have retired when he lost to Conor.

so going to a lesser promotion fighting lesser competition in your mid 30s is suddenly known as improvement?

Back