Daniel Cormier Grateful the UFC Will Let Him Retire with the Belt After Beating Stipe

Should Stipe get to fight for the title immediately after he loses to Cormier (if he loses)?

• Total voters
It's tough to be a DC fan with the blatant eye attacks, I wouldn't even call them poked because it looked like he literally attacked Stipe's eyes. In the 2nd fight, he does it, sees the reaction he thought he wanted and Stipe played possum and that's right where the tables began to turn. Daniel was still piecing Stipe up the entire time up to that point as far as I can remember.

5bb391eb86ad6.image.jpg

“After all that was done last year,” Daniel Cormier told MMA Junkie, “when I was going to fight Brock Lesnar and I said, ‘I’ll wait for Lesnar, and if Lesnar can’t go I’ll fight Stipe,’ I think it’s kind of the same thing (with him trying to fight Tyson Fury). But [the] reality is, it’s vastly different. I think it’s misguided.

960x0.jpg

I had Lesnar in my face. He came into the octagon and all that.
heG4hlT.gif

I’ve got to be honest with you: The moment they said Brock can’t fight, I said, ‘Then let’s give Stipe his fight.’

102014-UFC-Tonight-Daniel-Cormier-JW-PI.jpg

“I have done a lot of good work in the UFC, and if them even thinking that it’s my last fight and allowing me to fight in that position (for the title), shows good faith. Obviously they have a plan in place of what happens after I win my belt back (and retire), because I’m going to. I’m going to win the last fight and then I’ll have the championship. But the reality is, they trust me enough and my decision-making to give me that opportunity, and trust enough of the good work I’ve done in and for this company to allow me to have this opportunity. So I feel great.”

usa_today_10927469.0.jpg

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019/12/daniel-cormier-stipe-miocic-misguided-tyson-fury-fight

Sorry, but DC is delusional.
After he beat Stipe, he CLEARLY said that he would not rematch Stipe.
First he wanted Lesnar. Then Jon (at LHW).
Then he gave up on Jon and then he avoided Stipe for as long as he could, but as no one else really stepped up to the plate. he had to rematch Stipe.

Now he claim he wanted Stipe all along (besides Lesnar) and that's just not true.

Stipes coaches look like they want to jump DC Diaz bro's style

It's ok if DC left with the belt leaving the division in disarray, but not for GSP? What compromat does DC have on Dana?

GSP did the MW division a favor by beating Bisping. Not like Bisping was willing to fight anyone relevant plus GSP handed the belt back within weeks.

The HW title has been like Cain v JDS, Cain v Bigfoot, Cain v JDS, Cain v Bigfoot, Cain v JDS, DC v Stipe, DC v Stipe, DC v Stipe for the last decade, with a few token sacrifices thrown in their. That's a bit of an exaggeration but the match making for the HW title has been atrocious for a long time. Stop it.
Cain and Bigfoot only ever fought for the title once, their other fight was not a title bout.

Cain/JDS; a worthy title fight.
JDS/Mir; Overeem popped for steroids.
JDS/Cain 2; Cain finished Silva and there was no one else.
Cain/Silva 2; Silva finished Browne and Overeem to get a title shot.
Cain/JDS 3; JDS had finished Hunt, the UFC didn't have anyone else at the time, and "trilogy".
Werdum/Hunt; Velasquez got injured.
Werdum/Cain; Velasquez wasn't injured.
Werdum/Miocic; Miocic finished Hunt and Arlovski.
Miocic/Overeem; Overeem finished Struve, Nelson, JDS, and Arlovski.
Miocic/JDS; JDS defeated Rothwell, had a win over Miocic, and there wasn't anyone else.
Miocic/Ngannou; Ngannou had wins over Arlovski and Overeem.
Miocic/Cormier; Cormier was the LHW champion and previous Heavyweight contender.
Cormier/Lewis; Lewis defeated Ngannou and Volkov, and the UFC needed a headliner for the MSG card.
Cormier/Miocic 2; Lesnar pulled out, Ngannou hadn't done enough to earn a title shot, and there was no one else.

TLDR: Most of your complaints have to do with injuries, PEDs, and a lack of depth rather than the UFC's matchmaking.

Disqualify DC take his purse if he eyepokes in the rematch. IMO he should have to wait until Ngannou gets his turn anyway.

DCheat will sleep again anyway but I'd rather see him against NuGannoo.
NuG is ready to go and Stipe is out for a while so.

Ngannuo vs rozen?

Let's be real, it's WAY too early for Rozen to be fighting someone like Ngannou. He's way to flat-footed and slow to contend with Francis on the feet. If the UFC made that fight, all they'd be doing is killing off a promising contender. I can kinda understand why the UFC isn't giving Francis a fight because if he eventually beat Stipe and become champ, who'd be left for him to defend against? He has basically cleared the division on his way to the belt.

5bb391eb86ad6.image.jpg

“After all that was done last year,” Daniel Cormier told MMA Junkie, “when I was going to fight Brock Lesnar and I said, ‘I’ll wait for Lesnar, and if Lesnar can’t go I’ll fight Stipe,’ I think it’s kind of the same thing (with him trying to fight Tyson Fury). But [the] reality is, it’s vastly different. I think it’s misguided.

960x0.jpg

I had Lesnar in my face. He came into the octagon and all that.
heG4hlT.gif

I’ve got to be honest with you: The moment they said Brock can’t fight, I said, ‘Then let’s give Stipe his fight.’

102014-UFC-Tonight-Daniel-Cormier-JW-PI.jpg

“I have done a lot of good work in the UFC, and if them even thinking that it’s my last fight and allowing me to fight in that position (for the title), shows good faith. Obviously they have a plan in place of what happens after I win my belt back (and retire), because I’m going to. I’m going to win the last fight and then I’ll have the championship. But the reality is, they trust me enough and my decision-making to give me that opportunity, and trust enough of the good work I’ve done in and for this company to allow me to have this opportunity. So I feel great.”

usa_today_10927469.0.jpg

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019/12/daniel-cormier-stipe-miocic-misguided-tyson-fury-fight
I don't understand this thread. That would be entirely up to Cormier and no one else. Cormier solely gets to decide when he retires. This next fight would be the conclusion of a trilogy, so a rematch wouldn't really seem necessary to me anyway (barring a crazy controversial ending)...

Let's be real, it's WAY too early for Rozen to be fighting someone like Ngannou. He's way to flat-footed and slow to contend with Francis on the feet. If the UFC made that fight, all they'd be doing is killing off a promising contender. I can kinda understand why the UFC isn't giving Francis a fight because if he eventually beat Stipe and become champ, who'd be left for him to defend against? He has basically cleared the division on his way to the belt.
Yeah you're right overeem was landing that left over and over cus he wouldn't even move his head off the centerline because his game is built completely on countering or finding that tiny opening. Ngannou creates his oppenings and he does it so easily

If DC wins, I'm 100% sure they will offer him a very big pay check to fight Jones at HW.
It would only make sense. It's a huge fight, DC will make a lot of money and will get one last chance to revenge his two loses.

No eyepokes in their 3rd tilt, Cormier is going to sleep again.

DC needed to cheat in the first fight to put Stipe away early. Tried again (and nearly succeeded) in the second fight.

Maybe the ref's can start doing their fucking job when it comes to intentional eyepokes.
Stipe fans love to ignore Stipe attempted to gouge out DC's eye with his thumb. DC just knocked him out as a response.

I mean who else is there really? Ngaunno had flatlined everyone else.

Unless you could talk Jones into going up but that won't happen.

In the time it takes for the DC vs stipe fight to happen rozen may have another 2 wins under his belt and it makes more sense.

DC will ragdoll ngannou and sherdog will say Ngannou was never good..

Man, I love DC but that WWF bullshit he pulled after the fight with that ridiculous overreaction from the push from Brock just put a real bad taste in my mouth.

HW is so shallow and Stipe has earned it IMO, I normally am not a fan of immediate rematches.

This might all be in vain, however, if DC wins and then retires - which is what I would do.

That's funny I got really big douche chills when I saw that overreaction to the push.I didn't think anybody else noticed but it was the craziest thing. Like it just stole all the validity out of the sport and shoved it up the ass of Brock.

Makes sense

If dc wins he gets to retire as champ for a nice feelgood story. Then stipe v Francis can rematch for the vacant belt.

If stipe wins he defends against Francis anyway.

Back