Dana's reasons for NO Fedor in UFC

I get your point, and agree with it to a certain extent, but I wouldn't say Fedor had nothing to do with it. Affliction was essentially paying Fedor what the UFC would be paying him, but Fedor failed to produce for them. 100k pay per views. The UFC hasn't had PPVs that low in a number of years and routinely gets about 5x that number. They paid him a lot more than he produced for them.

On the other hand, if the UFC had signed Fedor and had him fight Brock at Cowboys Stadium or another large venue, the PPV numbers would have been through the roof, the live gate through the roof, everyone would have made off handsomely. But Fedor and his team overestimated their own brand and underestimated the UFC's. The UFC brand has proved time and time again that it's what sells PPVs to a large extent. Fedor with the UFC brand behind him sells a fuck ton more than Fedor without the UFC. It's not like boxing where a Mayweather fight sells itself and no one gives a shit who the promoter is. That's why Mayweather and other top pro boxers make much more than the top UFC/MMA fighters.

Solid post, but in regards to the Affliction sales figures you mention, it doesn't include whatever M-1 may have co-promoted/branded and sold outside of the USA. What if some Russian Cable Company paid an enormous sum to air the event?
That is my beef with using US/Canada PPV sales as a benchmark of an event's success. It gives no indication as to how much money was made in Brazil, Korea, Japan, Russia, and Europe. As a matter of fact, we have no idea if those outside markets (maybe by far) exceed revenues generated within the USA; it is very likely they do. So using USA/Canada PPV sales could possibly be some 10-20% of revenues, for all we know, and be an irrelevant figure.

they returned to the UFC because they had lost a shit load of money and were fucked.

This was because they spent way to much money on the fighters........especially FEDOR.

They lost much, much more money on the 3rd event being cancelled after spending weeks/months promoting and organizing the thing than what they paid Fedor/M-1 for his first 2 fights there, I can pretty much assume that. Marketing events like Affliction did is a huge financial drag and when they spent all that money and it being spoiled by Barnett's positive test.

And here's another thing: if, even if, Fedor's contract and the other fighter's contracts being the primary reason behind Affliction folding, what does that mean? Is it their fault for accepting more money than Affliction should have perhaps given them? These guys have families to feed and the life of an MMA fighter is not an easy one. Can you really begrudge someone who accepts a big payday like that? I can't.

what the fuck i made no such concession. Strikeforce went tits up for the same reason Affliction did, they paid the fighters way to much money.

Fedor and his huge pay (purse+ m-1 fee) was a major factor as to why even when Strikeforce had revenue of 30 million dollars for the year 2010, they could not turn a profit.

sorry pal, but Fedor was a major part in killing both ORGS.

And no, Strikeforce was absorbed into the UFC for the reasons I already stated. They were bought out and had all their top guys taken by the UFC. There was just very little reason for them to be around anymore.

Who from Strikeforce or Zuffa has made the claim that Fedor's contract being as big as it was was a key factor behind Strikeforce being bought out and eventually absorbed? No-one.

What bullshit?

Fedor being a MILLIONAIRE, fighting on CBS in 2009 when UFC was still on shitty ass Spike TV?

or Pettis getting 27k to fight for a title in 2013????

Fedor would have made more in the UFC, so CBS fight is fucking irrelevant.

Using pettis and his pay in any argument regarding fedor shows what a complete clown you are. why not use i don't know GSP.....oh wait he makes 4-5 million per fight...damn that fucks up your argument big time hey.

Both sides did what they felt was in their best interests. Pretty simple. I assume they both at least negotiated in good faith.

Solid post, but in regards to the Affliction sales figures you mention, it doesn't include whatever M-1 may have co-promoted/branded and sold outside of the USA. What if some Russian Cable Company paid an enormous sum to air the event?
That is my beef with using US/Canada PPV sales as a benchmark of an event's success. It gives no indication as to how much money was made in Brazil, Korea, Japan, Russia, and Europe. As a matter of fact, we have no idea if those outside markets (maybe by far) exceed revenues generated within the USA; it is very likely they do. So using USA/Canada PPV sales could possibly be some 10-20% of revenues, for all we know, and be an irrelevant figure.
It's my understanding that the pay-per-view model is almost exclusive to North America (namely the US and Canada, with Canada having a much smaller population than the US, but having a higher percentage of the population willing to order). Now, that's not to say that there aren't lucrative TV deals that can be done. The UFC has big TV deals in the UK, Brazil, Mexico, etc. However, I think if M-1 had been able to generate big TV deals for companies like Affliction they wouldn't have folded so fast. That seems pretty much proof positive to me. It's obvious they were gouging money, and while Fedor wasn't the only cause of that, he was a major part of that.

Is there any actual evidence of those numbers for the rizzo or monson fights? It links back to a translated contract that runs from 2008 to 2010.

Did you read the part about automatic extensions?

They lost much, much more money on the 3rd event being cancelled after spending weeks/months promoting and organizing the thing than what they paid Fedor/M-1 for his first 2 fights there, I can pretty much assume that. Marketing events like Affliction did is a huge financial drag and when they spent all that money and it being spoiled by Barnett's positive test.

And here's another thing: if, even if, Fedor's contract and the other fighter's contracts being the primary reason behind Affliction folding, what does that mean? Is it their fault for accepting more money than Affliction should have perhaps given them? These guys have families to feed and the life of an MMA fighter is not an easy one. Can you really begrudge someone who accepts a big payday like that? I can't.

If Affliction wanted to stay in the Game, then they would have promoted another fighter to fight Fedor. all the money spent on promotion of the card would have not been wasted. the reason they didn't was because they knew they were fucked and it was pointless to continue.

to your second paragraph, i never claimed the fall of Affliction or Strikeforce was Fedors fault... i said the contract $$$$$ was the reason. hell i don't blame fedor, he got what he could, i blame the Idiots running Affliction and Strikeforce. that doesn't change the fact that M-1/Fedor were overpriced and caused the failure of those two ORGS.

And no, Strikeforce was absorbed into the UFC for the reasons I already stated. They were bought out and had all their top guys taken by the UFC. There was just very little reason for them to be around anymore.

Who from Strikeforce or Zuffa has made the claim that Fedor's contract being as big as it was was a key factor behind Strikeforce being bought out and eventually absorbed? No-one.

do you think if they were making a profit that SVSE would have sold the company??? do you think making 30 million in revenue and still not making a profit was down to any other reason than fighter pay???

they were bleeding money because of one reason FIGHTER PAY. and Fedor making 1.5 million per fight doesn't help.

what the fuck i made no such concession. Strikeforce went tits up for the same reason Affliction did, they paid the fighters way to much money.

Fedor and his huge pay (purse+ m-1 fee) was a major factor as to why even when Strikeforce had revenue of 30 million dollars for the year 2010, they could not turn a profit.

sorry pal, but Fedor was a major part in killing both ORGS.

You arent too bright are you, mate?

Fedor's contract wasnt with Strikeforce it was with SHOWTIME which is OWNED by CBS which is why Fedor fought on CBS.

He would have made "more" with the UFC? How much more and at what cost? Fedor is worth over 10 million dollars.

UFC's "greatest of all time" Anderson Silva is also worth 10 million dollars so basically Fedor made as much as UFC's best fighter without the UFC and fought on CBS while Anderson was on Spike TV.

Get back to me when you have a constructive intelligent response. If not, go watch TUF.

oh and credible sources for 4 million in the UFC, try the contracts of randy Couture/Overeem/Eddie alverez that have become available. if UFC (whatever with brock) did 1.5 million Buys fedor on randy's contract does $3.00 per buy = 4.5 million.

and please don't try to say his contract would not have been as good as Randy's.

Source on Randy getting 3$ per buy. Why would this post make me weep? Only thing that is worrying me is that do you talk like that in real life? Or do you just put on an act when you are online?

You arent too bright are you, mate?

Fedor's contract wasnt with Strikeforce it was with SHOWTIME which is OWNED by CBS which is why Fedor fought on CBS.

He would have made "more" with the UFC? How much more and at what cost? Fedor is worth over 10 million dollars.

UFC's "greatest of all time" Anderson Silva is also worth 10 million dollars so basically Fedor made as much as UFC's best fighter without the UFC and fought on CBS while Anderson was on Spike TV.

Get back to me when you have a constructive intelligent response. If not, go watch TUF.

m-1 keep saying that, but why did he never fight for SHOWTIME after ZUFFA cut his ass????? please tell me my learned friend.

and your argument that Fedor is worth Ten million and so is Anderson (show me a credible source on either) so this shows he made the right decision is fucking pathetic.

i also like how you can't get that CBS fight out of your head, like it fucking means jack shit.

If Affliction wanted to stay in the Game, then they would have promoted another fighter to fight Fedor. all the money spent on promotion of the card would have not been wasted. the reason they didn't was because they knew they were fucked and it was pointless to continue.

to your second paragraph, i never claimed the fall of Affliction or Strikeforce was Fedors fault... i said the contract $$$$$ was the reason. hell i don't blame fedor, he got what he could, i blame the Idiots running Affliction and Strikeforce. that doesn't change the fact that M-1/Fedor were overpriced and caused the failure of those two ORGS.

You said that he (Fedor) 'bankrupted' them with his contracts, which is essentially blaming him for them falling. I really don't see how you can interpret your statement any other way.

And if they were so 'overpriced' then they shouldn't have had anyone signing them to contracts. But they did. The price of something is worth what somebody will pay for it and if they were overpriced nobody would acquire their product (Fedor). However, people did.

''the fact that M-1/Fedor were overpriced and caused the failure of those two ORGS."

Again, you say this like it's an irrefutable truth when that's not the case. Did Fedor's contract cause Strikeforce to get bought by the UFC and have the UFC take all their talent? No? Then you can't say his contract caused the failure of Strikeforce. You can't. You're going against the events of what actually happened by saying it.

Did Fedor's contract cause Barnett to piss hot, pull out of the main event and then Affliction to say 'f-ck it' and cancel the card because they'd spent so much time promoting a fight that could no longer take place? Again, no it didn't. These situations are more complex than just saying 'durrrr obviously Fedor got paid too much!!!' and then calling it 'fact'.

Source on Randy getting 3$ per buy. Why would this post make me weep? Only thing that is worrying me is that do you talk like that in real life? Or do you just put on an act when you are online?

He doesnt have one hes just a UFC yesman from australia. Dont take anything he has to say seriously.

the contract between Randy and the UFC was released during the court case. it is easy to find (try wiki)

both of you look like fucking fools... the information is out there, try to expand your fucking potato sized IQ for a change.

Back