Dana's reasons for NO Fedor in UFC

[YT]5mloCW9S1f0[/YT]

Here he talks why he didnt sing wit the UFC. + Dana disrespected him and his friends. Also i doubt the offered him more money that he got elsewhere. He made 5.5 mil from the Rizzo & Monson fights, thats hell of a lot more than UFC has ever paid anyone.

I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't in cash, but rather in additional shares of stock in a worthless company. I don't believe the M-1 infrastructure can generate enough revenue for such a huge payday for the Rizzo & Monson bouts.

Those guys likely errored big in negotiations and regret it. Fedor's entourage should nag him to sign with UFC so maybe Fedor could spread some of his wealth to them.

I wonder if Fedor would sign with UFC now if as a package deal, UFC also signed his lil' brother Aleksander to a guaranteed 5 fight deal. He seems like family is important to him, so he'll probably do what he can to help Aleks.

Fedor and his team took a calculated risk and lost. The UFC won in the long run. They didn't need Fedor and would have spent more than they would have gained from signing him. Fedor bankrupted a lot of organizations with his high demands.

Quite possibly the stupidest post i have ever seen. Ever.

Fedor and his team took a calculated risk and lost. The UFC won in the long run. They didn't need Fedor and would have spent more than they would have gained from signing him. Fedor bankrupted a lot of organizations with his high demands.

Perhaps the team (M-1) lost, but Fedor did just fine for himself and his family.

It's hard to say how much a fighter (or any athlete) is "worth". Winning is good, knocking people out and subbing them is good, but having a presence and putting on exciting fights is even better. Joe Lauzon is not a Top 10 LW, but he's worth more to the UFC than most Top 10 fighters from any division. Nick Diaz is worth a lot to the UFC too, as is BJ Penn. Fedor is like them; and at a top fee (but perhaps without M-1's involvement) he would have been totally worth it.
I don't have many serious fan friends, but I know a few casuals. They all know are very familiar with Fedor, along with GSP, Anderson, Jon Jones, the TUF #1 cast, Sakuraba, Royce, and a few others.

Arlvoski's disclosed pay was crazy high for his 3 minutes of fun against Fedor. What was it, like $1.4 million?
And you can blame Josh Barnett for killing Affliction after that, Fedor's fee and M-1's conditions had nothing to do with it.

That was a while back, the UFC had made offers since then. They conceded on the Sambo tournaments and other things and apparently offered Fedor a fuck ton of money. Co-promotion with M1 was the main sticking point that neither party could get around.

Know why? Because UFC was hoping to expand in the territories M-1 wanted to "co-promote" in. In fairness and fact UFC and M-1 were never equal partners; UFC had no reason to concede the terms M-1 wanted. But M-1 was never a threat to UFC, even if they co-promoted for a couple fights. Bottom line is that neither party cared enough to concede relatively inconsequential terms.

Dana offered him a shit ton of money, but would not budge on Fedor fighting in Sambo. Fedor's people confirmed that Dana offered a shit ton, so this is not just speculation.

Fedor wouldn't budge on not fighting Sambo, and he also didn't like some other clauses that are standard in the UFC contract, like the champions clause. he liked fighting in Japan on NYE and some other stuff too. so basically he didn't want to be "tied down" to UFC.

UFC had no interest in budging their standard contract stuff for Fedor.

so far as i can tell, both sides had demands, and stuck to them. no more, no less. if it didn't make sense for Fedor to take money and feel obliged, then by definition it didn't make sense. likewise, i can very much see why Dana wouldn't want to create a one-off contract just for Fedor.

Finkelstein didn't help any by suggesting (demanding?) that his org help in the production, or distribution in E Europe, or some such thing. what some called "co promotion", although that term got thrown around pretty loosely.

so ya, it pretty much came down to Fedor's demands were worth more to him than millions of dollars. and anyone who claims he is "wrong" has no standing; they can say THEY would have taken the $6m or whatever, but they cannot say "Fedor is wrong in believing that his beliefs are worth more than money", cuz they aren't Fedor.

hope this explanation helps. most people cannot give a straight forward, unbiased answer; they're too caught up in their "because Dana is a leech" / "because Fedor is stoopid" / "because Finkelstein is Russian Mob" / "because i'm too stupid to be reasonable" drama.

This is a fair post.

Affliction and Strikeforce.

Affliction's MMA promotion dissolved after their 3rd event folded. How do you know Fedor's contract was the one that made them fold when the reported payouts for his opponents, Sylvia and Arlovski, were much higher than his. Pinning the blame for Fedor's contract making them fall makes no sense.

And as for Strikeforce, again, I don't see the link between Fedor's contract making them fall. After the UFC bought them out and took most of their top talent (all their top talent after a while) there was just little reason for them to exist. Fedor's last fight in Strikeforce was July 2011. Strikeforce became defunct in January 2013. That's a long-ass time between Fedor's last payday from them and them folding. Your claim doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

Know why? Because UFC was hoping to expand in the territories M-1 wanted to "co-promote" in. In fairness and fact UFC and M-1 were never equal partners; UFC had no reason to concede the terms M-1 wanted. But M-1 was never a threat to UFC, even if they co-promoted for a couple fights. Bottom line is that neither party cared enough to concede relatively inconsequential terms.

does Coke co-promoted with the local cola? of course not. you don't help a rival,even if small in comparison.

M-1 wanted to use the UFC wanting Fedor badly enough they would do the Co-promotion, to springboard into the US market. and the UFC said no way.

Which, pray tell, did he bankrupt with the contracts that he signed?
I think there is some correlation with the organizations that Fedor signed with after Pride going belly up. He cost them more than he made for them. I'm not assigning all of the blame to him and I'm not blaming him for Pride going belly up, but he played a part in many organizations gouging money. Affliction, and Strikeforce namely. I wouldn't blame him for Bodog either, since he only fought for them once while still under contract with Pride because of a loophole in his Pride contract.

I think there is some correlation with the organizations that Fedor signed with after Pride going belly up. He cost them more than he made for them. I'm not assigning all of the blame to him and I'm not blaming him for Pride going belly up, but he played a part in many organizations gouging money. Affliction, and Strikeforce namely. I wouldn't blame him for Bodog either, since he only fought for them once while still under contract with Pride because of a loophole in his Pride contract.

Correlation exists but it doesn't prove causation. Fedor's opponents in Affliction made more money from Affliction than Fedor did, and Strikeforce hung around for a long-ass time after Fedor left them before having all their meaningful fighters absorbed by the UFC. Too long to pin them eventually folding on Fedor's contract I think.

wow, do idiots still believe this garbage. he made more rararararararar

he would have made 4-5 million per fight in the UFC, more if he fought Lesnar.

http://www.mmaconvert.com/2011/07/21/high-salaries-cloud-fedor-emelianenko-dan-hendersons-future-in-strikeforce/

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2010/06/strikeforce-fedor-vs-werdum-fighter-salaries-fedor-tops-789k-payroll

http://www.mma-manifesto.com/ufc-fighter-salary-database/salary-main/fedors-m1-contract-leaked-online.html

In those 4 fight Fedor made 7.4$ not including any sponsorships (he has one with mercedes benz etc.)

When most of those fights took place Fedor wasnt near the p4p ranking and he still made a lot more in 4 fights than Jones or Silva does. Credible source for that he would have made 4mil per fight in the UFC please.

Who is the idiot now? Yup, you.

people always talk about the money, but there can be all kinds of different clauses that probably made the contract unacceptable for Fedor

Affliction's MMA promotion dissolved after their 3rd event folded. How do you know Fedor's contract was the one that made them fold when the reported payouts for his opponents, Sylvia and Arlovski, were much higher than his. Pinning the blame for Fedor's contract making them fall makes no sense.

And as for Strikeforce, again, I don't see the link between Fedor's contract making them fall. After the UFC bought them out and took most of their top talent (all their top talent after a while) there was just little reason for them to exist. Fedor's last fight in Strikeforce was July 2011. Strikeforce became defunct in January 2013. That's a long-ass time between Fedor's last payday from them and them folding. Your claim doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

1.2 million in consulting fees, plus Fedor's purse 400K, plus who knows what else. so trust me his contract was certainly a major factor in the demise off Affliction. paying the other fighters way over didn't help.

they had a similar deal with Strikeforce ( in regards to consulting fee) and yes he was the highest paid fighter in Strikeforce by a mile.

Perhaps the team (M-1) lost, but Fedor did just fine for himself and his family.

It's hard to say how much a fighter (or any athlete) is "worth". Winning is good, knocking people out and subbing them is good, but having a presence and putting on exciting fights is even better. Joe Lauzon is not a Top 10 LW, but he's worth more to the UFC than most Top 10 fighters from any division. Nick Diaz is worth a lot to the UFC too, as is BJ Penn. Fedor is like them; and at a top fee (but perhaps without M-1's involvement) he would have been totally worth it.
I don't have many serious fan friends, but I know a few casuals. They all know are very familiar with Fedor, along with GSP, Anderson, Jon Jones, the TUF #1 cast, Sakuraba, Royce, and a few others.

Arlvoski's disclosed pay was crazy high for his 3 minutes of fun against Fedor. What was it, like $1.4 million?
And you can blame Josh Barnett for killing Affliction after that, Fedor's fee and M-1's conditions had nothing to do with it.
I get your point, and agree with it to a certain extent, but I wouldn't say Fedor had nothing to do with it. Affliction was essentially paying Fedor what the UFC would be paying him, but Fedor failed to produce for them. 100k pay per views. The UFC hasn't had PPVs that low in a number of years and routinely gets about 5x that number. They paid him a lot more than he produced for them.

On the other hand, if the UFC had signed Fedor and had him fight Brock at Cowboys Stadium or another large venue, the PPV numbers would have been through the roof, the live gate through the roof, everyone would have made off handsomely. But Fedor and his team overestimated their own brand and underestimated the UFC's. The UFC brand has proved time and time again that it's what sells PPVs to a large extent. Fedor with the UFC brand behind him sells a fuck ton more than Fedor without the UFC. It's not like boxing where a Mayweather fight sells itself and no one gives a shit who the promoter is. That's why Mayweather and other top pro boxers make much more than the top UFC/MMA fighters.

http://www.mmaconvert.com/2011/07/21/high-salaries-cloud-fedor-emelianenko-dan-hendersons-future-in-strikeforce/

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2010/06/strikeforce-fedor-vs-werdum-fighter-salaries-fedor-tops-789k-payroll

http://www.mma-manifesto.com/ufc-fighter-salary-database/salary-main/fedors-m1-contract-leaked-online.html

In those 4 fight Fedor made 7.4$ not including any sponsorships (he has one with mercedes benz etc.)

When most of those fights took place Fedor wasnt near the p4p ranking and he still made a lot more in 4 fights than Jones or Silva does. Credible source for that he would have made 4mil per fight in the UFC please.

Who is the idiot now? Yup, you.

he could have made 7.5 million in one fucking fight against Brock. anyone who thinks he made more outside the UFC then inside, has the IQ of a potato.

and the three fights where he made all this money..... how would this be any different if he had 4 fights in the UFC and then went back to M-1 Global??? did you think about that Muppet.

oh and credible sources for 4 million in the UFC, try the contracts of randy Couture/Overeem/Eddie alverez that have become available. if UFC (whatever with brock) did 1.5 million Buys fedor on randy's contract does $3.00 per buy = 4.5 million.

and please don't try to say his contract would not have been as good as Randy's.

Correlation exists but it doesn't prove causation. Fedor's opponents in Affliction made more money from Affliction than Fedor did, and Strikeforce hung around for a long-ass time after Fedor left them before having all their meaningful fighters absorbed by the UFC. Too long to pin them eventually folding on Fedor's contract I think.
Reported base pay aside, I find that VERY hard to believe. Co-promotion cost a lot and I'm sure there were other hidden fees. Fedor's $15 million dollar net worth had to come from somewhere. These deals are why he's among the highest paid MMA fighters of all time and certainly the wealthiest never to step foot inside The Octagon.

1.2 million in consulting fees, plus Fedor's purse 400K, plus who knows what else. so trust me his contract was certainly a major factor in the demise off Affliction. paying the other fighters way over didn't help.

they had a similar deal with Strikeforce ( in regards to consulting fee) and yes he was the highest paid fighter in Strikeforce by a mile.

No, I'm not going to trust you when you throw out numbers like '1.2 million in consulting fees' without any sources. You can go here and here for yourself and see that Fedor didn't make anywhere near as much as either of his opponents from the Affliction paydays.

Affliction folded because, like I said, their capstone event folded and they couldn't find a quick enough replacement. It wasn't that Fedor cost too much.

And yes Fedor got paid most from Strikeforce because he brought in some of their biggest viewing figures. 5 million people watched him fight Rogers on CBS and over 500k people watched each of his 3 fights against Werdum, Bigfoot and Hendo on Showtime.

Regardless of that fact, Strikeforce dissolved because the UFC essentially absorbed them. Shit, Scott Coker still works for Zuffa and all of Strikeforce's top fighters are there. Not because Fedor had a lucrative contract with them. I'm sure they paid guys like Cung Le a shitload of money to fight with them aswell.

Back