Dana's reasons for NO Fedor in UFC

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-c...ed-fedor-emelianenko-much-155652220--mma.html

I read this, and I really need to hear the other side, because from what I understood prior, Fedor was turned off in how the UFC just thought they could buy him. Like he had a price on in, and respect was compromised.

And what I know is not speculation. It's from people who were somewhat close to negotiations.

So he was turned off by being offered a bunch of money? From what Dana said in the past it was Fedor's management that screwed things up by asking for too much rather than Fedor himself. You can't come in and try to push around the UFC who wants you more than they need you. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there were some errors on both sides, but given how much they paid guys like James Toney and Lesnar I'd bet they offered Fedor a lot for that fight.

Fedor is still the King Of Kings. Whether Dana likes it or not. Even the best 2 UFC HW fighters know he was the GOAT.

[YT]5mloCW9S1f0[/YT]

Here he talks why he didnt sing wit the UFC. + Dana disrespected him and his friends. Also i doubt the offered him more money that he got elsewhere. He made 5.5 mil from the Rizzo & Monson fights, thats hell of a lot more than UFC has ever paid anyone.

As always, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Fedor's management had grandiose expectations and nationalistic interests, and Dana had cynical doubts about Fedor's economic worth to accompany his ego-mania. The end result for fans is that we never saw Fedor fight in the UFC, and people stuck pointing fingers at each other over it.

I can't think of anything more paradigmatic of Russian-American relations, or politics in general (other than Rocky IV of course).

Fedor is still the King Of Kings. Whether Dana likes it or not. Even the best 2 UFC HW fighters know he was the GOAT.

Bigfoot knows that he dominated him and beat him up. Jake shields knows that a guy smaller than Fedor who he dominated, knocked Fedor out. Werdum knows he suckered Fedor easily.

Neither Bigfoot, Henderson or Werdum have sniffed UFC gold.

Dana offered him a shit ton of money, but would not budge on Fedor fighting in Sambo. Fedor's people confirmed that Dana offered a shit ton, so this is not just speculation.

Fedor wouldn't budge on not fighting Sambo, and he also didn't like some other clauses that are standard in the UFC contract, like the champions clause. he liked fighting in Japan on NYE and some other stuff too. so basically he didn't want to be "tied down" to UFC.

UFC had no interest in budging their standard contract stuff for Fedor.

so far as i can tell, both sides had demands, and stuck to them. no more, no less. if it didn't make sense for Fedor to take money and feel obliged, then by definition it didn't make sense. likewise, i can very much see why Dana wouldn't want to create a one-off contract just for Fedor.

Finkelstein didn't help any by suggesting (demanding?) that his org help in the production, or distribution in E Europe, or some such thing. what some called "co promotion", although that term got thrown around pretty loosely.

so ya, it pretty much came down to Fedor's demands were worth more to him than millions of dollars. and anyone who claims he is "wrong" has no standing; they can say THEY would have taken the $6m or whatever, but they cannot say "Fedor is wrong in believing that his beliefs are worth more than money", cuz they aren't Fedor.

hope this explanation helps. most people cannot give a straight forward, unbiased answer; they're too caught up in their "because Dana is a leech" / "because Fedor is stoopid" / "because Finkelstein is Russian Mob" / "because i'm too stupid to be reasonable" drama.

Last edited:
Bigfoot knows that he dominated him and beat him up. Jake shields knows that a guy smaller than Fedor who he dominated, knocked Fedor out. Werdum knows he suckered Fedor easily.

Neither Bigfoot, Henderson or Werdum have sniffed UFC gold.

Tim Sylvia and Big Nog have, what did he do to them again?

Here he talks why he didnt sing wit the UFC. + Dana disrespected him and his friends. Also i doubt the offered him more money that he got elsewhere. He made 5.5 mil from the Rizzo & Monson fights, thats hell of a lot more than UFC has ever paid anyone.

huh. hadn't heard he made that much for those bouts. and of course his "disclosed pay" was 1/10th that.

[YT]5mloCW9S1f0[/YT]

So money was more important than beating the best competition?

You know what they say, there's always three sides to every story. The 1st persons story, the 2nd persons story and the truth.

Fedor and his team took a calculated risk and lost. The UFC won in the long run. They didn't need Fedor and would have spent more than they would have gained from signing him. Fedor bankrupted a lot of organizations with his high demands.

So money was more important than beating the best competition?

dude.

one of the main arguments is "but Dana offered him over $5m per fight!" he was just countering with "but he made $5m w/o Dana, so that argument is now moot"

but don't hear the rebuttal and pretend it isn't a rebuttal.

Fedor and his team took a calculated risk and lost. The UFC won in the long run. They didn't need Fedor and would have spent more than they would have gained from signing him. Fedor bankrupted a lot of organizations with his high demands.

Which, pray tell, did he bankrupt with the contracts that he signed?

[YT]5mloCW9S1f0[/YT]

That was a while back, the UFC had made offers since then. They conceded on the Sambo tournaments and other things and apparently offered Fedor a fuck ton of money. Co-promotion with M1 was the main sticking point that neither party could get around.

That was a while back, the UFC had made offers since then. They conceded on the Sambo tournaments and other things and apparently offered Fedor a fuck ton of money. Co-promotion with M1 was the main sticking point that neither party could get around.

do you have a source for this?

and of course by "other things" they certainly didn't concede let him fight for K-1.

EDIT: this sure seems to be a good source for your claim.

The UFC needed either Hunt or Fedor to survive and keep the HW division going with excitement. Thank Buddah for Mark Hunt.

[YT]5mloCW9S1f0[/YT]

wow, do idiots still believe this garbage. he made more rararararararar

he would have made 4-5 million per fight in the UFC, more if he fought Lesnar.

Back