danahers kimura dvd

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
anyone seen this yet? i never really liked kimuras i felt it was a big guy technique as well and didnt think it was high % really at higher levels marcelo kinda dissed them years back so id only go for one if it was right there form top side control.

but the way he explains things about making sure to put there hand behind the back and tiny details into forcing that really makes me wana re think my game completely

Haven't watched the DVDs as there is a ton of knowledge on them by people other than Damager that I haven't learned.
Most kimuras are high percentage as transitions to other subs and positions.

anyone seen this yet? i never really liked kimuras i felt it was a big guy technique as well and didnt think it was high % really at higher levels marcelo kinda dissed them years back so id only go for one if it was right there form top side control.

but the way he explains things about making sure to put there hand behind the back and tiny details into forcing that really makes me wana re think my game completely

the kimura king vagner rocha would facepalm himself now...haha

i have vagners dvd as well but have not even watched it at all yet i planned to in the future

Marcelo is just salty cause jacare pwned him with a kimura.

If you know how to lock their arm up and pull with your entire body then they are extremely powerful.
I love the sakuraba style kimura from turtle or when someone is trying to do a standing back take.

Sure you need some shoulder strength to hold on to the arm, but done correctly its no more a strength move then anything else.

Marcelo is just salty cause jacare pwned him with a kimura.

If you know how to lock their arm up and pull with your entire body then they are extremely powerful.
I love the sakuraba style kimura from turtle or when someone is trying to do a standing back take.

Sure you need some shoulder strength to hold on to the arm, but done correctly its no more a strength move then anything else.

Most of the times, if your a very small person, kimuras are pretty hard to pull vs someone much bigger and stronger who’s competent, marcelo advocates techniques that go wit all body types and sizes... that’s all. Do you see him kimura buchecha, hardly unless bucehcha gives him the arm bend on his back, but he certainly could choke him out if he’s in his back

Not completely related to this thread, but I can't start my own.
If I got a kimura grip on my opponents arm and I lose position and end up in bottom side control, do I hang onto the grip or do I let go? Can I use it for anything from the bottom?

If I got a kimura grip on my opponents arm and I lose position and end up in bottom side control, do I hang onto the grip or do I let go? Can I use it for anything from the bottom?

If you are on bottom without a guard hold on to it and continue the Kimura movement.

Make sure both of your shoulder blades stay on the mat so you aren’t countered. You can easily finish from bottom side control as long as you maintain your grip.

If you ever get a kimura you never let it go. Only time you do is to switch to the back. Otherwise you finish with the armbar or kimura.

i never really liked kimuras i felt it was a big guy technique as well and didnt think it was high % really at higher levels marcelo kinda dissed them years back so id only go for one if it was right there form top side control.

I fundamentally agree with Marcelo but I feel like his comments about the efficacy (or lack thereof) of arm in chokes and kimuras set an entire generation of grapplers back. I have heard so many people quote Marcelo on why they don't do them.

For the same reaons, it was only until many years later that I began to invest in these techniques and the pay off was huge. Grappling is a young sport and Marcelo was a pioneer of his time but more innovation is coming out of the Renzo camp these days.

Hopefully they will spearhead a revolution towards the ugly stepchild techniques, much as they have done with the leglocks.

it's vitally important to constantly try to cut an outward angle on the kimura (as though you were trying to take your opponent's back). this is how the kimura pressure really occurs, so if you do this then it doesnt really matter if you're in side control or whatever. but if you just get the kimura grip and stay on a line then you can be smashed or worse. other important tips are to keep your shoulder above his, clamp down with your elbow, and press his wrist along his ribline.

Last edited:
Most of the times, if your a very small person, kimuras are pretty hard to pull vs someone much bigger and stronger who’s competent, marcelo advocates techniques that go wit all body types and sizes... that’s all. Do you see him kimura buchecha, hardly unless bucehcha gives him the arm bend on his back, but he certainly could choke him out if he’s in his back

playing the kimura game for position is very effective against bigger opponents. my favorite big guy guard pass is the one Vagner shows where you snatch a top side kimura then crossface with your ribs while you slowly inch your leg out. easy path to the back from that point.

playing the kimura game for position is very effective against bigger opponents. my favorite big guy guard pass is the one Vagner shows where you snatch a top side kimura then crossface with your ribs while you slowly inch your leg out. easy path to the back from that point.

I’m not saying is not, just that is not the most efficient sub for some body types

Thanks for all the responses guys. I have often locked up the grip, but let it go again because I lost the initial position. Will now not let it go until I feel I can't finish or I need to defend something.
Just been to a seminar with a Black belt who showed some very good side control basics and also a kimura finish. Really learned a lot from this and it made my grip much tighter. Really starting to like it.

I fundamentally agree with Marcelo but I feel like his comments about the efficacy (or lack thereof) of arm in chokes and kimuras set an entire generation of grapplers back. I have heard so many people quote Marcelo on why they don't do them.

For the same reaons, it was only until many years later that I began to invest in these techniques and the pay off was huge. Grappling is a young sport and Marcelo was a pioneer of his time but more innovation is coming out of the Renzo camp these days.

Hopefully they will spearhead a revolution towards the ugly stepchild techniques, much as they have done with the leglocks.
All of this

the problem is not strenght, is the short arms mostly. arm in chokes are very hard to pull if you ahve short arms vs big guys, its te same as leg triangles, no matter what your technique is, if you have short stocky legs, forget about it, is not going to be your main weapon, can you tringle people still, yeah, not very good ones though.

I have heard so many people quote Marcelo on why they don't do them.
It seem silly to be to take the universal for everyone technique talk from Marcelo seriously as his students aren't winning with those. The game obviously works great for him but while I think everyone do okish with then very few people can be elite using them.

Kimura in no gi is just about the best grip you can get, IMO. Just ruthlessly strong and hard to break.

At the very least, it's worth learning as a control position, even if you never finish the sub.

yeah cause tbh a lot of what Marcelo does only he can do due to his body type and high level skillset like head control elbow post butterfly sweeps he bullys guys like maia even over with it out of sheer power of his legs and grip most of his guys dont really play like him besides his guillotine and ns but guard passing n guard he plays it completely due to his bodytype

yeah cause tbh a lot of what Marcelo does only he can do due to his body type and high level skillset like head control elbow post butterfly sweeps he bullys guys like maia even over with it out of sheer power of his legs and grip most of his guys dont really play like him besides his guillotine and ns but guard passing n guard he plays it completely due to his bodytype

I agree with this, most of Marcelo’s game is mostly Marcelo’s game... very different than dahaners boys which most have something in commun

Back