"Danaher: Very good MMA ahtletes are competitive with elite boxers the first 3 or 4 rounds sparring"

Sorry just found this one and It's fucking unbelievable https://www.sportsjoe.ie/boxing/eer...or-vs-floyd-mayweather-unlikely-source-135320

Talking about boxing: "My experience of watching very good MMA athletes spar elite boxers is always the same - they are competitive for the first 3 or 4 rounds and do surprisingly well"

End of quote.

I've seen "MMA guys" on the heavy bag and they look like dog shit. Seen them in the octagon and and not a single one would make a direct transition to boxing regardless of the nr of rounds. They don't have the chin first of all.

It's clear the dude does not understand what he's watching, which makes sense since he's a grappler.

There is NO WAY "very good MMA athletes" are competitive with elite boxers for ANY round of boxing when the boxer decides the playing is over. I know that since most Kickboxers are not!
He didn't say MMA fighters would beat them.
He also said very good MMA athletes.

Why is that such a hard thing to understand? He's not saying MMA striking is better boxers.
TJ sparring Lomochenko

Andrew Tabiti sparring Luke Rockhold

Jose Aldo Sparring Boxing Champ Abner Mares

Aldo, Luke and TJ would get washed in a real boxing match, but to say they would last a few rounds, isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Maybe you just underrate Floyd's chin lowkey.
Plus it was just one strike with boxing gloves. No matter what anyone tells you the glove size changes the game. And it changes your striking style. Conor never was going to knock May out with repeated strikes because May is just too good at rolling with the punches. In MMA it's nowhere near as practical to roll the way you can in boxing.
anderson rolled almost every punch that was one of this bread and butters

Mike Tyson got KOed all losses he had, including against Holyfield who was not a particularly big puncher. I gather you've seen Tysons neck.

No, natural selection does.. People who gravitate towards and stay as boxers tend to have much stronger chins than average or else they wouldn't make it in the sport.

Ridiculous man, seriously, all of Tyson's ko losses, if he didn't have a strong neck, he would've been knocked out way earlier, and his losses had to do with his legs, that Peekaboo style, similar to Joe Frazier, it is so hard to do that repeatedly in a fight the older you get, and against larger opponents, it's a style that burns out your legs very fast.

MMA fighters don't box inside the Octagon. They use kickboxing and muay thai because there are 8 points of attack (fists, feet, knees, and elbows) that you need to defend against, opposed to boxing where there are only 2 points of attack (fists). It's completely different both offensively and defensively. Your distance alone is different because you need to worry about kicks.

Why people continually try to compare boxing and MMA is beyond me. They aren't the same at all.

Ridiculous man, seriously, all of Tyson's ko losses, if he didn't have a strong neck, he would've been knocked out way earlier, and his losses had to do with his legs, that Peekaboo style, similar to Joe Frazier, it is so hard to do that repeatedly in a fight the older you get, and against larger opponents, it's a style that burns out your legs very fast.

Why would he have been knocked out earlier by Holyfield???

MMA fighters don't box inside the Octagon. They use kickboxing and muay thai because there are 8 points of attack (fists, feet, knees, and elbows) that you need to defend against, opposed to boxing where there are only 2 points of attack (fists). It's completely different both offensively and defensively. Your distance alone is different because you need to worry about kicks.

Why people continually try to compare boxing and MMA is beyond me. They aren't the same at all.

He wasn’t comparing sports, he was comparing athlethes

He meant if the boxers were employing a the floyd strategy of throwing 10 strikes a round.

I think good MMA boxers could be decent (not elite) pros in boxing for the most part. Especially when it comes to the HW division. Wouldnt surprise me at all if Ngannou could beat a good chunk of the top 30 in the current HW scene in boxing.

I think good MMA boxers could be decent (not elite) pros in boxing for the most part. Especially when it comes to the HW division. Wouldnt surprise me at all if Ngannou could beat a good chunk of the top 30 in the current HW scene in boxing.

He would only beat bums

Efe Ajagba is more talented, hits as hard (hes smaller) or even harder and trained more ... he still looked like shit vs a top 101 guy

Ngannous defense is even more worse ... lol

Boxing and complete martial arts are different just like pure wrestling and MMA wrestling are different.

You can't claim that MMA striking is "sloppy" compared to boxing because they aren't boxing.

Complete yet can't kick a grounded opponent or punch the backside of the head so the grappler craps his pants..
If you were allowed to kick/knee a grounded opponent and strike to the back of the head wrestling/grappling would only become more effective not less

Elite boxers have nothing to gain or learn from sparring mma guys.

Jones is not a big puncher and if you take away his other tools (elbows, eye pokes, knees, kicks, roids, 'rasslin) he would be a pretty average fighter imo. He could potentially be a volume puncher like Fury but Fury would be more technically sound even if Jones trained for two years. I think the statement works better in the other direction. Give Wilder two years of MMA training and he could beat Jones, especially considering his power with smaller gloves.

I was being ironic

These types of threads are so played out. Boxer wins the majority of the time under boxing rules, MMA fighter wins the majority of the time under MMA rules. Both are essentially reduced to having a puncher's chance in the other's world.

These types of threads are so played out. Boxer wins the majority of the time under boxing rules, MMA fighter wins the majority of the time under MMA rules. Both are essentially reduced to having a puncher's chance in the other's world.

Young Foreman had better than a punchers chance against plenty of UFC heavy weights

Young Foreman had better than a punchers chance against plenty of UFC heavy weights

All the power in the world isn't gonna keep him off his back. The nuthuggers of both sports are super annoying. Just accept that while they share some similarities (throwing and defending punches), outside of that they're very different sports requiring very different skill sets. Both groups of nuthuggers would be very butthurt about the results of their treasured sport in a mass crossover to the other's world.

Back