"Danaher: Very good MMA ahtletes are competitive with elite boxers the first 3 or 4 rounds sparring"

There's blood on and other intruding variables to bareknuckle boxing. Brendan Schaub didn't think Paulie would win and Schuab was a golden gloves champ. He knew that the sport was too different andt that paulie wouldn't adjust right away.

Schaub is a perfect example of bad technique covered by physical attributes.
Pretty sure Roy Nelson was a fat grappler...

They don't. Conor got a free uppercut on Mayweather and he laughed.. This is the power punching guy MMA folks were talking about would put Mayweather to sleep if he lands clean..

Maybe you just underrate Floyd's chin lowkey.
Plus it was just one strike with boxing gloves. No matter what anyone tells you the glove size changes the game. And it changes your striking style. Conor never was going to knock May out with repeated strikes because May is just too good at rolling with the punches. In MMA it's nowhere near as practical to roll the way you can in boxing.

How often do you see the sloppy brawler beat the more technical fighter... a lot.
it's not too damn far from this.
I mean look at Rampage in K-1, beat Cyril Abidi... twice.
Tom Erikson who had ZERO fucking standing beat Jan Nortje.
looking good on mitts or the bag doesn't always equate to practical application.

Didn't that fucking t rex armed Lobov guy beat a former world champion (granted way out of his prime)

"beat" Artem

If you scored it like an MMA bout yeah, but if you judge it by modern boxing standards Paulie won.

Boxing stand up is awful. They are mostly in a position where they could be leg kicked or taken down instantaniously. Boxers don't know anything about good stand up fighting.

You mean they don't know anything about the proper stance for MMA...because they're boxers. Honestly, I don't get why so many MMA fans see a need to constantly assert that MMA fighters could "beat" boxers...with the usual caveats...if it was actually an MMA fight...if kicks/elbows were allowed...if it was a "real fight"...etc. Jesus, they're distinct sports that require different training, different stances, and different approaches to striking. Top MMA guys will get eaten alive by top boxers in a boxing ring...and top boxers would get eaten alive by top MMA fighters in the octagon or under MMA rules. I don't get why that is so hard to understand.

No. He won a highly disputed decision in bare knuckle boxing. Paulie is not only retired, he didn't understand the scoring.
It doesn't matter, on paper Paulie should have wiped the floor with a mma bum like Lobov yet he didn't, not even close to it.

Schaub is a perfect example of bad technique covered by physical attributes.
Pretty sure Roy Nelson was a fat grappler...

Anyway, paulie had the weakest win to Ko ratio of any boxer I know. He wasn't expected to KO the MMA fighter and if he doesn't get how the sport is scored, of course there's a chance he loses a decision. And bare knuckle is not the same as gloves boxing.

"beat" Artem

If you scored it like an MMA bout yeah, but if you judge it by modern boxing standards Paulie won.

ok, it's a highly contested bout. cool. someone with that much experience should destroy a minus .500 MMA fighter with complete ease.

It doesn't matter, on paper Paulie should have wiped the floor with a mma bum like Lobov yet he didn't, not even close to it.

Any pillow fisted boxer who crosses over to another sport is going to struggle, and bare knuckle boxing is a different sport

Wins 36
Wins by KO 7

MMA fighters are too busy being complete fighters to focus on just one discipline.

MMA fighters are too busy being complete fighters to focus on just one discipline.

Complete yet can't kick a grounded opponent or punch the backside of the head so the grappler craps his pants..

You mean they don't know anything about the proper stance for MMA...because they're boxers. Honestly, I don't get why so many MMA fans see a need to constantly assert that MMA fighters could "beat" boxers...with the usual caveats...if it was actually an MMA fight...if kicks/elbows were allowed...if it was a "real fight"...etc. Jesus, they're distinct sports that require different training, different stances, and different approaches to striking. Top MMA guys will get eaten alive by top boxers in a boxing ring...and top boxers would get eaten alive by top MMA fighters in the octagon or under MMA rules. I don't get why that is so hard to understand.

This is the best way to look at it. There are a lot of exceptions to the rule. You're hitting a good 90+% whoever fights under their own ruleset should win.

I think the initial point stands, MMA guys, in sparring, can possibly last a couple rounds, in sparring... and look decent for a couple minutes, in sparring.

I think the initial point stands, MMA guys, in sparring, can possibly last a couple rounds, in sparring... and look decent for a couple minutes, in sparring.

Average boxers punch like MMA fighters kick. For real. Got to a boxing gym and see boxer go 100% power on a bag.

I have, for the past 15 years.

You boxed for 15 years and take it seriously that very good MMA guys can hang with boxers when Kickboxers generally can't? Have you seen K1 legends when they get steamrolled by each others punches? They fold right away. Le banner, Hoost.. one flurry and they would crumble against an elite boxers.

You boxed for 15 years and take it seriously that very good MMA guys can hang with boxers when Kickboxers generally can't? Have you seen K1 legends when they get steamrolled by each others punches? They fold right away. Le banner, Hoost.. one flurry and they would crumble against an elite boxers.
Please leave the defense of boxing to those who've actually boxed and know something about it.

It's sparring. A real boxing fight is completely different

Back