1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Danaher Question

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Oak, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Oak

Oak 栄誉

What's up guys,

My buddy who trains at Renzo's has just been promoted and can finally start taking Danaher's classes.

For all the people who know him or his style on this forum, how would you describe it?

Is Danaher into basic BJJ? Does he use newer guards? (Inverted, x-guard, etc.) Does he do flashy stuff?

Any info would be very helpful.

2. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

I've taken the class once but he was in Vegas shooting for TUF. I've heard that he teaches more advanced stuff in extremely expert detail. And let me tell you from experience, that 7:30 AM no gi class is a room full of absolute killers.

3. fiftysvn

fiftysvn Purple Belt

lol just wait until your friend takes the class so he can report it to you in person.

If it's one thing you should know before you take his class, it's that you should stfu and sit as close as possible because he talks very low and goes through moves in a very detailed but quick fashion. Feels like you're straining your ears at times.

4. Fedorzilla

Fedorzilla Brown Belt

double post

5. Fedorzilla

Fedorzilla Brown Belt

what level do you have to be?

This sounds amazing

6. SuperSuperRambo

I'm an inexperienced purple. The class ends with four, 6-minute matches from the feet. My first two matches were black belts. My instructor (also a black belt) was taking the class. Two other black belts co-taught. And there was at least one other black belt in the class aside from the ones I mentioned.

7. dirtypablo

dirtypablo Brown Belt

I believe he was asking what belt you have to be to take his class.

8. SuperSuperRambo

I was responding to "that sounds amazing."

I don't know what belt you have to be. Probably blue.

9. Oak

Oak 栄誉

I'm not asking for myself I was trying to get some insight for my friend. I know he will find out eventually but it would be nice to know more of his style, or what he is "known" for.

I do know he is worshiped on the internet, and that he is very technical, and very bad ass. I was just wondering if he does newer BJJ stuff, etc.

10. Oak

Oak 栄誉

Yes he just got his blue at Monday's Ceremony.

11. one.armed.jack

one.armed.jack Orange Belt

His style is pretty far from "flashy", although your friend will probably experience more than a few moments of "oohs" and "aahs". John's style is very efficient, very control-oriented, but not in a "death-grip" sort of way. (In fact the vast majority of his techniques work well in either gi or no-gi.) He constantly emphasizes the importance of mechanical over physical strength and devotes a lot of his teaching energy toward highlighting small refinements to what many would consider "fundamental" positions and submissions. It's not uncommon to see other black belts soliciting John's advice on tweaking their cross-chokes and mounted armbars, for example.

As far as specific guards go, there is probably more of a focus on X-guard, butterfly guard, and variations on the closed guard. If I had to hazard a guess, I would suppose that John prefers these over such approaches as spider guard and de la riva guard because they work well both with and without a gi. But it could be a body-type consideration or simply personal preference.

Your friend should be prepared to experience a much greater emphasis on throwing and takedowns in John's classes. 50%-60% of the instruction per class is focused on judo or wrestling and all randori (sparring) matches start on the feet. The classes are filled with tough guys, even amongst the blue belts and the experience can feel like a bit of a meat-grinder to someone new. But he'll catch on quick :icon_chee

Other than that, be prepared to pay very close attention, as fiftsvn mentioned above, since there is always a lot of detail being handed out and John is generally a soft-spoken teacher.

Learning from John is a rewarding experience. I've trained at a number of academies and I can see why John's tutelage is so coveted by BJJ practitioners who already have a lot of experience under their belts. The quality of his instruction really is at another level.

Have fun!

(For the record, I'm a fairly senior purple belt under John and can be found most afternoons at Renzo's. Tell your friend to say hi.)

12. Oak

Oak 栄誉

Thanks for the long write up. Very good information.

13. Fedorzilla

Fedorzilla Brown Belt

in conjunction with the description of the teaching method, this sounds pilgrimage worthy. I think this is the meat grinder you need to go through once a week to improve.

14. spaceman82

spaceman82 Yellow Belt

out of personal interest and also in reference to the OP, do you guys think that attending danaher's class exclusively would be good for a new blue belt, or is the class advanced enough that it would be better for someone of that level to attend classes with more lower belts and then supplement those classes with an occasional (weekly or bi-weekly) danaher class?

15. Oak

Oak 栄誉

I'm a strong believer in "steel sharpens steel" so if Danaher will accept you and you can handle it, I would do nothing else.

16. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

17. Oak

Oak 栄誉

Great link. Paul Schreiner is an awesome dude.