Dana White: Women's MMA is bigger than Men's MMA

Thorough analysis. Because there aren't an equally larger number of men who play basketball, football, soccer, etc. than women. And get compensated way more in every other major sport.
But men love fighting, many are involved in either boxing, muay thai, wrestling etc. It's very uncommon for a female to be involved in any type of martial arts. Where I grew up, there were plenty of girls playing basketball, volleyball and tennis, and I never heard of any women in any sort of combat related sport, while at least 10-20% of males that train sports are in some martial art that can later merge into MMA. Ratio of men to women in basketball is 10:1, while in martial arts it's at least 100:1

The most disconcerting thing about that interview is that Dana was on Trump's shortlist for a celebration party. If that's not disqualifying for the Presidency, I don't know what is.

But men love fighting, many are involved in either boxing, muay thai, wrestling etc. It's very uncommon for a female to be involved in any type of martial arts. Where I grew up, there were plenty of girls playing basketball, volleyball and tennis, and I never heard of any women in any sort of combat related sport, while at least 10-20% of males that train sports are in some martial art that can later merge into MMA. Ratio of men to women in basketball is 10:1, while in martial arts it's at least 100:1

You obviously haven't trained mma. Right now at my bjj gym there's about a 10:2 ratio and Bang Muay Thai is about 10:3. I don't think you're going to get as many to jump in professionally until it's a more viable career path for the obvious reason that women aren't as careless as men with their life planning.

But it isn't - under 50 Wmma fights in the UFC for the entire year.

Dana stated: "It's tough to find a sport where...you know...the women are financially..uh...you know...taken care of the way that the men are.."

Michelle Waterson was an AW Champion in Invicta, was a big enough draw to be the main event for the UFC in this last card:

$15K show/15K win bonus

CKiRvVeUcAEjTdI.jpg

"WMMA is bigger than my dick"-Dana White

The biggest draws in combat sports happen because someone told people a fighter or thing was popular before it actually was. Dana White just promoting like Dana White does

Also he's not completely wrong, not among hardcores, but lots of people care about Holly Holm and Rousey more than any fighter not named Conor. PVZ and Watterson just drew really good numbers on Fox

Can't forget how Meisha vs Nunes drew over a million at UFC 200,.

Am I doing this right??

To him, it probably *is* bigger - in the sense that events like the one next weekend are delivering to him exactly what he covets. Buzz, mainstream cultural attention, mainstream (ESPN) sports media coverage. If the fight was say, Daniel Cormier vs Anthony Johnson instead of Rousey vs Nunes, nobody would be paying attention outside the MMA bubble.

He's so high on this stuff right now that he's having two women fight outside their weight in February for a made up belt in a division that doesn't even exist, and it's probably going to headline a PPV.

Dana is a genius, he understands that "big" is relative, woooow.

Maybe he thought about womens breasts..., who knows....

We are entering the new liberal age of WME-UFC. Expect more of this bullshit to come.

Have a card with only WMMA and then a card with only men. Then we'll talk.

Back