Media Dana White "We could do Jon Vs Stipe too"

Champs moving up could most likely never earn a title shot so Dana gives em freebies. No way he risks Jones unless he's just sick of him getting in trouble, failing drug tests plus demanding too much money which would make Jones more trouble than he's worth.

Jones is retired. Been saying it for months and Jon has been proving me right for months. He won't fight Francis, Stipe, Jan, Jiri, period. The most you'll get out of him are body building instagrams and tweets to suggest the UFC retired him, rather than the fact he retired himself a long time ago. He is long past-prime, loses to all those guys, knows it, and wants to retire without making it seem like it is his choice. Hence this absurd 2 year process of looking for fights he'll never take.

Jones is retired. Been saying it for months and Jon has been proving me right for months. He won't fight Francis, Stipe, Jan, Jiri, period. The most you'll get out of him are body building instagrams and tweets to suggest the UFC retired him, rather than the fact he retired himself a long time ago. He's done. Stop with pretending otherwise.

I suspect it might also be that Jones saw Stipe beating DC but not looking very good doing it, he announced he was moving up days after the 3rd match. His plan could well have been beat Stipe for the belt sit on it for as long as possible and maybe rematch him then retire.

Would he still be willing to fight Stipe without the belt? less money/glory involved with the same risk, if he loses his credibility at HW is gone.

I'm guessing there is money to be made via sponsorship in keeping up the pretense your still an active fighter going for titles even if you never intend to? espeically for someone like Jones were his sucess is pretty much all he has, a retired GSP was still worth something as a well liked/respected fighter by much of the fanbase, Jones sucess and spot at the top is all he has to offer.

Little sympathy for Jones whining, he's never spoken out in favour of fighter pay before that I remember and has IMHO benefited massively from being a company favorite in terms of not being punished more for PEDs/law breaking and getting multiple close decisions go his way.

Last edited:
I suspect it might also be that Jones saw Stipe beating DC but not looking very good doing it, he announced he was moving up days after the 3rd match. His plan could well have been beat Stipe for the belt sit on it for as long as possible and mayeb rematch him then retire.

Would be still be willing to fight Stipe without the belt? less money/glory involved with the same risk, if he loses his credibility at HW is gone.

I'm guessing there is money to be made via sponsorship in keeping up the pretense your still an active fighter going for titles even if you never intend to?
Yeah money in sponsorships + the biggest factor of all that Jon is concerned about... public perception (hence his social media game). He really wanted to paint it as the UFC retiring him the whole time. Hence this charade where he is posting pics of him getting heavier in retirement/not competing as a way to foster a different narrative ("he's moving to HW!") so he can blame the UFC ("oops I never got the money") once he inevitably announces that he's never fighting again.

People say he is ducking Francis but I firmly believe since August 2020 he never intended to fight anybody at all/wanted to change the narrative that he didn't knowingly retire off a contentious win over a guy like Reyes.

Stipe is good enough to defeat a slow fat Jones.

In my opinion, Stipe is a much more difficult fight for Jones. The path to victory against Francis is very clear, even if it's fraught with danger. If Jones were to complete a single takedown on Francis, there's a very good chance Francis gets finished and/or gassed relatively easily. On the other hand, the path to victory is much murkier against Stipe. Stipe has the wrestling to make takedowns very difficult, and we've consistently seen that guys with similar height/length give Jones problems on the feet. If someone like Reyes could outstrike Jones on the feet, I have a hard time believing Stipe wouldn't do the same.

But the big reason Jones is hesitate "scared" to fight Francis is because the possibility of him sipping from a straw for the rest of his life.

Jones vs Stipe is the real superfight

I don't see Jones fighting Francis so maybe he'd go for this hoping Lewis takes care of him. I mentioned him fighting Stipe after Ngannou knocked him out. It would really shine a spotlight on the ducking so I'm not sure he'd go for it. I guess he could say he's just testing the waters first. I see him beating Stipe.
How in the fuck is fighting Stipe testing the waters? He is argueably the best HW in the world. He beats Ngannou 9/10 times.

Not surprised. I was pretty sure the original plan was for Jones to fight Stipe. Knew as soon as Ngannou flattened Stipe that Jones wasn't going to be into it.

Jones shouldn't be allowed to run. Ngannou or retire.

<CanYouSeeMeNow>
Why do people think there was a plan that had the underdog winning? Who plans like that?

Lol many of you are tripping... the LHW undefeated goat is looking for a BIG Payday and to win the HW strap not a dangerous tune up fight.

<JonesDXSuckIt>
Yeah, I don’t see how people are getting excited about this. Jon wants BIG money and fighting stipe in a non-title fight coming off a loss isn’t exactly a mega-fight (even if it is compelling). Jones isn’t conor as a draw.

How in the fuck is fighting Stipe testing the waters? He is argueably the best HW in the world. He beats Ngannou 9/10 times.
Lol. How can you say that after what we saw in their last fight?

Hard disagree, If Stipe KOs Jon then it will derail the biggest fight MMA could have right now.
And if Jon dominates Stipe, it will be spun that Stipe is shot now after Ngannou, and if Stipe has a single good moment in the fight then it will immediately become proof of how Francis will win. It doesn't serve a lot of purpose other than to allow the UFC to spin narratives some certain ways.

If you want a tune-up for Jon(I think tune-ups are good) then there are more appropriate fighters that can allow him to test his body at HW, without having with face one of the GOATs at HW first.

Just my opinion though. I think this entire topic is getting incredibly stale

In my opinion, Stipe is a much more difficult fight for Jones. The path to victory against Francis is very clear, even if it's fraught with danger. If Jones were to complete a single takedown on Francis, there's a very good chance Francis gets finished and/or gassed relatively easily. On the other hand, the path to victory is much murkier against Stipe. Stipe has the wrestling to make takedowns very difficult, and we've consistently seen that guys with similar height/length give Jones problems on the feet. If someone like Reyes could outstrike Jones on the feet, I have a hard time believing Stipe wouldn't do the same.
Stipe is a far easier fight than Francis or even Reyes

Plodding boxer with good, but not exceptional wrestling

At this point Ngannou is harder to take down than Stipe

If Jones only wants a big money fight then it won’t happen. If Jones Vs DC never broke 900k buys then I’d be shocked if Jones Vs Stipe did more than 700k. Still good numbers but a fight with Francis would be much bigger.

Back