Dana White wants Jon Jones' DQ loss overturned

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by GetSmoked, Jun 26, 2019.

1. GetSmoked

GetSmoked Orange Belt

For all intents and purposes, Jon Jones is undefeated – except for the fact that he officially isn’t.

Jones’ lone defeat came in just his fourth UFC fight back in December 2009, when he was disqualified for landing illegal downward elbows on Matt Hammill in the first round of a fight he was dominating at The Ultimate Fighter 10 Finale.

While the result is technically a loss on Jones’ record, it’s universally acknowledged that the UFC light heavyweight champion has never been beaten. That, however, isn’t good enough for UFC president Dana White, who wants to make it official.

During an appearance on ESPN Radio’s “The Sedano Show,” White shared that the promotion is looking into having the result overturned by the Nevada Athletic Commission, which sanctioned the fight.

“The guy’s never lost a fight ever. That one loss on his record, we’re trying to get that (overturned),” White said. “It was at a time and a place in the Nevada State Athletic Commission when it was at its worst.

“It was the weakest commission ever in the history of Nevada, and the referee that reffed that fight shouldn’t have even been in there, and he disqualified Jon, which shouldn’t have happened, either. So hopefully we can get that overturned.”

The referee in question that night was Steve Mazzagatti, whom White has criticized often through the years.

Even though the loss to Hammill was in accordance with the rules, White has at least one prominent supporter in UFC commentator Joe Rogan.

“I’m in agreement with this 100%.” Rogan tweeted. “The 12-6 elbow rule is one of the dumbest rules in combat sports. At the very least that fight should be a no contest. He was completely dominant.”

On Wednesday, Hammill caught word of White’s and Rogan’s comments and responded by tweeting a message at both men, as well as Jones, bringing up Jones’ complicated history with performance-enhancing drugs.

“@joerogan @DanaWhite @JonnyBones to supports overturning Jon Jones DQ loss to me to a no contest?” Hammill tweeted. “Well I’m not complaining about jones in the past what he used illegal substance when he fought me.12/6 elbow is illegal. Back to back wins. How about rematch?

Hammill, 42, fought once in 2017 and 2018, respectively. In his most recent bout in April 2018, Hammill claimed a split decision to earn his second consecutive win.

As for Jones, 31, he was granted a fight license by the NAC on Wednesday as he continues to be closely drug tested for picogram levels of a steroid metabolite in his system. Jones returns next week to defend his light heavyweight title against Thiago Santos in the UFC 239 main event at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Link: https://mmajunkie.com/2019/06/ufc-dana-white-overturn-jon-jones-loss-matt-hammill-joe-rogan-agrees

joeyjoejoe likes this.
  2. XThe GreatestX

XThe GreatestX Silver Belt

maybe the dumbest thing he has ever said which covers a lot

3. Mr.Maelstrom

Mr.Maelstrom Belt of Skulls [÷X]

No one thinks of it as a loss and tbh, let's let Hamill have that one

4. LockardTheGOAT

LockardTheGOAT Yellow Card Yellow Card

Can we also get his NC against Cormier overturned to a Disqualification? There's no reason anyone who fails an in-competition drug test shouldn't be disqualified...

5. Kingz

Kingz Gold Belt

Love Rogans reasoning

“Rules suck”

6. AC1D1K

AC1D1K Silver Belt

I hate this maz hate. He was the only guy who enforced the rules and got vilified for it

tehShuffle likes this.
  7. 8KresniK8

8KresniK8 Black Belt

Before i would probably side with Dana here but fucking Jones, he keep getting away with shit. Let him own this one.

tehShuffle likes this.
  8. ianferguson

ianferguson Orange Belt

Dana White is a sleazebag and The UFC is a joke.

Knuckledragger likes this.
  9. Timmy Billy

Timmy Billy Yellow Belt

Dana's team Jon now because DC is going to retire in August and Conner and the Diaz brothers are not reliable.

There are not any other major draws besides those names and maybe Khabib.

No one else on their roster 600 deep can reliably crack 400k buys. Without any of those names, you could have 3 title fights on a card and it would still only get 250k to 350k buys.

SaintSoldier likes this.
  10. seau45

seau45 Proceed in my direction brosef

The only man on the planet that beats JJ at 205 is working fighter relations for BKFC lol

tehShuffle likes this.
  11. Mr. Hammer

Mr. Hammer Silver Belt

While this is true Jones deserves the 0 in his record and the aura that comes with it that Khabib currently enjoys.

12. Mr. Hammer

Mr. Hammer Silver Belt

Rules do suck when they make zero sense.

Marc Trottier likes this.
  13. ermac88

ermac88 Red Belt

I never thought much about it but after hearing Big John talk about how silly and inconsistent the rule is, and how it was enforced w Bones.
    I can see changing the result

14. Lint2

Lint2 jmp dword ptr [ebp+8]

What he meant was that Jones is unbeaten, and he's right on that, geez.

Let's be honest with ourselves, we all agree Jones is a shitbag kind of person and he gets a lot for being that super fighter Dana desperately needs now that McGregor's done, I'm not questioning that for in any way. Just being pragmatic.

I know I'll get heat for that, just try to see Dana feeding his audience by saying the right words. (i.e. talking like a lawyer)

15. HelloJapan

HelloJapan Talking loud and saying nothing. Platinum Member

[​IMG]

16. Robert Clarke

Robert Clarke Orange Belt

Maz was good most of the time. My guy is Mr. Miragliotta

17. Rum

Rum Champion of Champions

Only the nerdiest nerds care about pointless shit like this. As if the story is told in stats.

I mean, fuck, I did my post-grad in stats and Jonny Bones has been my favourite fighter to watch for well over half a decade now and even I don't give half a shit about that meaningless L.

18. Tex24

Tex24 White Belt

Jones/Hammill 2 anyone?

19. Hematom

Hematom Yellow Belt

20. lostdog000

lostdog000 Silver Belt

12-7 = legal

[​IMG][​IMG]

Marc Trottier and Ruthfella like this.