Dana White: Vitor Belfort is in a "weird situation" of his own creation

He's going to lose to Henderson and lose all options he had.

He feels he's already the #1 contender at MW and wouldn't take any non-title fight inside that division. However, he had no problem taking a fight at any other weight, since he believed if he lost outside of 185 it wouldn't hurt his contendership.

Personally, while I agree that he's the #3 guy behind Silva and Weidman, he wasn't going to get a shot as long as Silva had the belt and obviously there was nobody more deserving of an immediate rematch than Silva. So it's not really a matter of Dana fucking with him, it's just the circumstances of the situation don't particularly favour Vitor at this point. I doubt there would be any issue booking Vitor v Weidman should he beat Hendo and Weidman retain, which is very possible.

Yeah the reason that he won't fight Kennedy at 185 but he'll fight Hendo at 205 (which is a much tougher fight... he would destroy Kennedy) is that he thinks that if he loses at 185 he'll lose his chance at a title shot. The thing is though I think that if he loses to Hendo he'll lose his MW title shot anyways (regardless of whether it's fair or not). He's not going to get at title shot coming off a loss, even if the loss is at LHW.

I think he would have gotten his shot though if Silva had beaten Weidman. Vitor had cleared out all of the other MW contenders and it had been long enough from his prior loss to Silva that a rematch would be justified, especially given Vitor's improvement (he used to never through kicks, lately he's been destroying with them).

I'd have been way stoked to see that rematch. I wouldn't say the first loss was a fluke but I do think Vitor had a lot more for Silva than he got to show and he has what it takes to beat Silva on the right day.

Vitor deserves big fights,cause Vitor can finish fights,Vitor should fight Anderson Silva for a shot at Weidman belt,but instead Vitor,yes Vitor have to see a rematch of a title fight were AS didnt respect the belt. Vitor aint difficult,Vitor is being real and Dana being Dana. Vitor...Vitor...Vitor you deserve your rematch.

In fairness to belfort I didn't wanna see him fight Kennedy either. He just destroyed the guy that last beat Kennedy. That fight made no sense.

Vitor deserves big fights,cause Vitor can finish fights,Vitor should fight Anderson Silva for a shot at Weidman belt,but instead Vitor,yes Vitor have to see a rematch of a title fight were AS didnt respect the belt. Vitor aint difficult,Vitor is being real and Dana being Dana. Vitor...Vitor...Vitor you deserve your rematch.

Totally agree. He has more than earned his shot.

I'm surprised that Dana has such little love for Vitor. He's always saying how he wants fighters to put on exciting fights and go for the finish (you know his slogan "never leave it to the judges). Vitor is the definition of an exciting fighter and is always looking to finish. He has put up some of the most entertaining fights and awesome KOs in UFC history.

Vitor called out Fedor when Fedor was still Fedor. Vitor's just that kind of dude.

Maybe if he stops fighting inside brasil with TRT dana may take him serious

You mean... like how he doesn't take GSP serious for fighting in Canada?

...some people need to grow a brain :rolleyes:

Vitor should fight Mousasi!

let me start by saying that I'd LOVE to see this fight!

But no.

Mousasi is not a blip in the radar at MW.
he is a LHW name. he needs to fight someone, then climb up the ladder.

Vitor is arguably the #3 in the division right now.
Why should him fight an unranked opponent?

Dana is right....Vitor is all over the place sometime. He called out Jones after beating Bisping. Makes no sense to me.

That was more about Sonnen than it was about Jones. Sonnen has been dropping quotes about Vitor for a long time. Vitor was tearing down Sonnen and saying even he deserves a fight with Jones more than Sonnen at that point. At least that's how I took it.

He called him out after Sonnen/Shogun as well iirc.

It did come out in a bizarre way though esp. with the timing.

Vitor should call out jds. I would have loved to see vitor vs rampage before rampage left

let me start by saying that I'd LOVE to see this fight!

But no.

Mousasi is not a blip in the radar at MW.
he is a LHW name. he needs to fight someone, then climb up the ladder.

Vitor is arguably the #3 in the division right now.
Why should him fight an unranked opponent?

Vitor should fight Mousasi, because the discussions that whore going on last time.
Vitor said Mousasi don't earn a fight against him. But in the past (affliction) Vitor was planned to fight Mousasi. Mousasi want to fight Vitor at any weight class. So it has some sense to me.
Mousasi has certainly enough skills for Vitor.

Vitor should fight Mousasi, because the discussions that whore going on last time.
Vitor said Mousasi don't earn a fight against him. But in the past (affliction) Vitor was planned to fight Mousasi. Mousasi want to fight Vitor at any weight class. So it has some sense to me.
Mousasi has certainly enough skills for Vitor.

Again, not disagreeing with you.
But come on now.
it is clear that Mousasi wants to use Vitor to become a contender via shortcut.

And this was before Weidman beat SIlva, and TBH, IMO Vitor was ahead of Weidman. he had just beaten a top contender in Bisping (agree or not, it is a fact he would be the uncontested #1 contender if he'd beat Vitor). and then he beat SF's champion.
That is while Weidman REFUSED to fight Vitor and then got injured and out of the picture for an year.

SO IMO Mousasi need (at least) ONE win at MW before gunning for the top guys.

Dana's right and wrong. Vitor did enough to earn a title shot but Dana robbed it from him Belfort just wanted to avoid fights that risked his status so he took a LHW fight with a washed up Hendo because he finally realized if he held out for the title shot he'd be waiting a long time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back